Verified:

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jun 29th 2012, 18:02:03

what do you think of the ability to buy/sell turns (stored turns) on the public market. One would be limited by the existing cap.

note this is just a random thought vs anything on the development list right now.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Sifos Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 18:19:32

How would it impact balances? I can see three main uses, war countries buying from others to get more hits, restarts (mainly out of war) selling turns to bigger originals, and resellers selling to anyone else.
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

UltraMarines Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 18:43:33

could have an interesting impact on the game. I would think it would be a fairly pricey item as their are only so many turns floating around out there

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jun 29th 2012, 19:13:17

could also benefit cashers/techers for the right price.
Anyway just throwing something random out there:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

CandyMan Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:13:29

would there be standing orders on turns? I can see this getting abused where a country sells its turns for supercheap.

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Jun 29th 2012, 19:14:24

it would hook resellers up once they are done growing, make a beta server to just do random stuff =p
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

kingofthezulus

Jun 29th 2012, 19:14:43

Would probably make a tmbr more viable.

CandyMan Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:14:52

cashers could abuse this... keep buying turns until your cash rate = cost of a turn.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jun 29th 2012, 19:15:40

it would end up only benefiting a couple strategies, as those who stand to gain the most from the turns will drive up the price to a point where it isn't viable for the others to buy the turns.

Thus I think techers would be big winners.

War implications too of course, but haven't taken any time to think those through yet.

Edited By: H4xOr WaNgEr on Jun 29th 2012, 19:23:14
See Original Post

CandyMan Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:17:05

which would really mean, each turn should cost millions of dollars on the public market... don't think it makes sense.

CandyMan Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:18:14

cashers would abuse this more since it would take some time for the tech to hit the market.

for cashers this is an infinite loop

CandyMan Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:21:16

i suppose farmers too... cash, sell food, buy turn w/ proceeds, rinse and repeat.

CandyMan Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:22:03

your idea sucks Tan!

Forum Moderator

Jun 29th 2012, 19:24:42

well it takes a while for people to build up stores turns to sell, and then I imagine it would take time for the turns to hit the market as well, so techers should have time to have the income.

Techers have the highest income per turn for the most part, so they have the most to gain. As such competition for the additional turns will drive up the price so it isn't feasible for other strategies that don't earn as much per turn.

blid

EE Patron

Jun 29th 2012, 19:25:09

Originally posted by CandyMan:
cashers would abuse this more since it would take some time for the tech to hit the market.

for cashers this is an infinite loop
but the turns would be bought as stored turns and not available immediately

still seems kinda icky tho
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Pain Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:26:01

rather see missiles available for sale instead of turns.
Your mother is a nice woman

CandyMan Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:27:26

if i were a casher netting $5mm a turn, I'd have a standing order for all stored turns as long as it's less than $5 mm a turn.

Forum Moderator

Jun 29th 2012, 19:38:05

but that's the point, there would be so many techers out there earning more than your $5m per turn that will be competing for the stored turns (which will have demand far outstripping supply) such that the cost of the turns will be driven up to the point where the techers are only receiving marginal gains (aka the price of the turns will exceed the $5m from your example)

CandyMan Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:40:42

that would also drive down tech prices though... because there would be a ton of tech supply.

Forum Moderator

Jun 29th 2012, 19:44:06

yeah but how much. even when tech prices are at $2500 techers still outproduce other strategies

blid

EE Patron

Jun 29th 2012, 19:46:10

It would benefit most the small garbage rainbow countries that can't make any money with those turns, but are selling them for quite a bit. The turns would all be bought by the biggest countries, because they can get the most production out of a turn, but you'd assume everyone would just look at how much a turn is worth and buy at right up to near that amount, making everyone get minimal gains from the turns... except the loser players selling the turns. War is the only really interesting part of this concept I think.
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:47:44

Perhaps have a cap on how many turns you can SELL? And make it take 24 hours before any turns you put on the market actually reach the market?
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

blid

EE Patron

Jun 29th 2012, 19:48:32

imagine, you wouldn't even have to take a turn or know how to play, but you could just sell your turns, and those who do know how, the best players out there, will buy them for just up to how much they're making a turn... heh.. and you practically keep pace with them without doing anything,

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 19:49:59

Well, you DO need to be OOP to sell on the market...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

CandyMan Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 20:04:23

Originally posted by NukEvil:
Perhaps have a cap on how many turns you can SELL? And make it take 24 hours before any turns you put on the market actually reach the market?

It would make the market more choppy/illiquid but the clearing price shouldn't make a difference.

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 20:12:19

Well, there would be a hard limit on how many turns could be on the market per day. This limit would depend on the number of countries playing in the server.

UBer Bu Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 20:14:19

It's also a profitable alternative to vacation mode. If you know you're going to be away from the game for a few days, you can at least gain something from those unused turns instead of them ticking over 120(120).

SWEET JESUS imagine this in Express!
-take off every sig.

Forum Moderator

Jun 29th 2012, 20:34:41

I don't know if limiting the turns that can be sold will help. There won't be a oversupply issue there will be an over demand issue and limiting supply would just exasperate that.

RavenBF Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 20:57:16

yea i cant see ppl wanting to sell more turns than buy......
Minty
adj: Describing someone as British and homo-sexual.
mint minte mintt gay british person kj
by Master ZEN Aug 28, 2012

Detmer Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 21:02:41

My thoughts mirror H4's.

This just makes the rich richer. Whoever has the highest production will be the big winner. That would be indies to start, however people are unlikely to sell turns that early and indy prices will crash. Tech has such a demand that prices would not likely crash due to higher production.

Also, this would allow unholy market aiding, particularly for someone who has converted to HMBR...

locket Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 21:03:04

HELL no. Missiles? Sure.. turns? No.

Cabrito Game profile

Jun 29th 2012, 22:06:32

Originally posted by Pain:

Originally posted by locket:
HELL no. Missiles? Sure.. turns? No.

Need I say more?
When the white man discovered this country,
Indians were running it.
No taxes,
no debt,
women did all the work.
White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Cherokee proverb

crest23 Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 0:23:10

I love this idea! I almost always end my sets losing turns. Think of an MBR! I love it. How long till this is implemented?
The Nigerian Nightmare.

Boltar Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 4:00:50

imagine how the land traders could benefit from this... they hit their land goal way sooner then others. (yes i know they gotta build, but if they buy more turns to build.. they can get built faster and stock sooner) i dont like the turn buying idea.. missile buy seems ok.. except the big and powerful rich clans will get most of them.. maybe put a range. like say 50 member clan can only buy 50 missiles in a week or something and a 25 member clan can buy 100 missiles in a week to give the smaller less rich clans more power to lvl the playing field.. also different types of missiles be nice (different topic i know)

Cougar Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 4:13:05

First impression, not a huge fan. I'll sleep on it though.

As others have said, I'd rather have missiles for sale. Or spies. Or Oil tech. Or Explore tech.

Jiman Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 4:14:09

Any change is a good change.

Killa Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 11:09:49

Sell Chems on the market

Have the ability to convert EM's to chems
+Killa

locket Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 11:20:23

Originally posted by Jiman:
Any change is a good change.

That's not the brightest opinion there dude. What if the change was that any clan with an S in their tag name had to give up half their turns a day to everyone else :P

A different change to turns I might half suggest is to give some other way to use your turns instead of just cashing as the only option... would be interesting if there was some way for an MBR player to use his turns once he is full MBR... no idea how this could be achieved but it would be interesting to have a full set or half set reseller be a viable strat again...

Boltar Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 13:38:08

I like the oil tech. Perhaps even fa oil all non fascists. U know tyranny oiler would help restarts too.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jun 30th 2012, 14:32:04

it's not really an infinite loop because the cashers have to buy them from someone who gets their money. There is implicitely a supply limit by the way the game is set up though which may/may not be at a critical point.

The problem is that it's really hard to know exactly who would sell turns and why. ALl the focus is on who would buy them.

Would it really make the rich richer? The "rich" would have to send that money somewhere.. namely people who are selling turns.

This becomes more of a psychology question at this point:P

In any case this is more of a random musing to think about rather than a serious suggestiong.
Missiles/spies on the market are a non-starter. they were removed for good reason tbh.

I just had this random thought as on the "private" market on the alpha server you can buy/sell turns although this is really to expidite testing:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Xinhuan Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 15:45:55

Martian, the idea would not work, because

A) The larger a country is, the more $$ a single turn can generate. For example, large 50k acre cashers could value a single turn at $20 million dollars, since they could cash $30 mil dollars (example numbers I made up)

Side Effect: Depending on what is done with the purchased turns, the 50k country's income could spiral up with turns that are cheap enough, and the spiral up income may be more than what the increase in price of a turn is for this single large country - eventually the price of a turn would be so costly that only this single country can buy turns, and have a run-away country.

B) A fresh restart in a war would then sell 1 turn for $20 million dollars, buy up 150k troops per turn sold.

Side Effect: This has the complete effect of accelerated country growth for restarts and severely unbalance wars - it will cause wars to favour the side with larger number of members (even more than it currently is), since they have more turns to sell - essentially a form of external FA.

Edited By: Xinhuan on Jun 30th 2012, 15:48:15
See Original Post

Schilling Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 15:55:11

Still scratching my head on the turns part, but:

Originally posted by Pain:

hawkeyee Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 16:12:11

What about buying and selling acres?
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

sigma Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 17:17:21

And then you'd get into people stockpiling stored turns?

Pain Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 17:37:04

honestly its a bad idea all around.

unless there was a cap on the amount you could sell, sitting on a 100 turn country and selling your stored turns all set, especially if demand is high enough to drive prices to 10m+ per turn would allow someone to achieve a much better finish then someone who actually put an effort into their country all set.

also, it would allow suiciders to sit undetected selling stored turns and gaining way more cash then they should be with no risk of being noticed until its too late.
Your mother is a nice woman

Soultaker

Jun 30th 2012, 18:57:20

the selling of turns would change the whole strategy of the game and i thine it will turn it into something easier than it is now jumping will be affected and also land gaining... the bigger clans would have the opportunity to farm untageds into the ground, not that they are not doing it now but with the selling of turns that would get out of hand

the second thing that will be affected would be warring just imagine a techer breaker with 120 turn on hand even if they are bought as storred, or what a commy could do with the extra turns they would produce a hell of o lot of mili units and the market prices will drop fast

Selling missiles will also affect wars as you could do more missiles runs and do a lot more damage in wars to other countries

Chadius Game profile

Jun 30th 2012, 19:06:16

I like the idea of selling your oil on the private market. (i.e. food)
And I concur with Locket. I would like something to do with my turns, when switched to TMBR. :)

I remember when missiles were taking off the selling block, but I cannot remember exactly why.
LAF

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 2nd 2012, 21:56:09

buying missiles could overpower FS in a big way.. altough part of it was a lack of supply too.. people weren't that interested in selling them if I remember right..
not 100% sure.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )