Verified:

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 11th 2010, 23:48:20

I was digging a trench to bury a cable, and I found what looks like a spent rifle bullet. It seems to be in all right condition, despite however long it was in the ground.

It has two small, oval-shaped holes in the side of the surface of the bullet, one under the other, and I can see what looks like lead cylinders behind the holes.

I brushed it off with an old toothbrush, and I found these inscriptions on it:

"Reliable" in cursive writing, then under that:

"CAT No 81" ( the 81 may or may not be a partial number)

then "8 SOL"

then the numbers "050" which I assume measures the caliber of the bullet.

As you can tell, I know very little about guns and bullets. I'm wanting to know what gun this bullet most likely went into, and the meaning of CAT and SOL. I know if I can find a major in nuclear engineering in Earth's IRC, then I can find someone who's into weapons.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just noticed it has some sort of grooves in what I think is the front of the bullet, but these grooves aren't spiraled; they go straight down the bullet. Not sure if a gun barrel with spiraled rifling produces straight grooves on the bullets they fire or not.

Edited By: NukEvil on Jun 11th 2010, 23:51:50
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 4:17:46

Then again, it may be some sort of line sinker...dunno really.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Fooglmog Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 13:56:54

It's not a bullet that I'm familiar with... at least, not from the description. Though I doubt there's anyone in the world that can identify all bullets.

Would you be able to post a picture?

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Hellz X Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 16:13:44

The grooves on the front of the bullet are there to hold the bullet itself to the casing.

(I'm assuming you only found the spend casing, and not the bullet)
Imaginary Numbers

Forgotten1

Jun 12th 2010, 17:30:07

Don't put the bullet in your head.

Best advice you will get from me!
Forgotten
ICQ 43083642
MSN

mrford Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 17:54:36

A picture would be good

and there is no way you found the actual slug win all that writing

has to be the shell. No one puts that much writing on a projectile
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Marshal Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 18:05:40

killers put tgt's name on it. :P
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 18:11:47

I dunno; it's kinda heavy. I'm seriously thinking it's a line sinker. It's about 4 inches long, and I think it's too heavy to be a shell.

http://i25.photobucket.com/.../c70/NukEvil/whatisit.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/...c70/NukEvil/whatisit2.jpg

Edited By: NukEvil on Jun 12th 2010, 18:13:37

mrford Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 18:19:55

Lol

most def not a bullet

and marshal, you watch too many movies. Any writing on the actual bullet would completly mess up the aero characteristics by creating drag and if deep enough a low pressure pocket pulling it off course

looks like a line sinker probably nuke
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 18:23:26

Bah...who puts the word "Reliable", in cursive, on a line sinker? What's so reliable about a chunk of lead? "Oh, I'm guaranteed to make your line sink into a body of water." What?

mrford Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 18:25:40

Could be the brand? I'm not saying it is a sinker, but that's what it looks like

I am 100% sure it's not a bullet though
Swagger of a Chupacabra

ZIP Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 19:21:05

i messed up the other day. I had an old lawn mower my mom gave me to use this winter ( snowblower attachment) while mine was being fixed. She didn't want it anymore and it was taking up too much space in my garage so i listed it on craig's list. I got a text from someone asking if i was interested in trading a rifle for it. I waited 2 days and text him back asking for more info. He said it was a sks 7.62 x 39. two days later i asked for more about it as there are many different types. To those who don't know the sks is a pre ak-47 model, machine gun, favored by the reds. He text back saying that he just sold it and it was a yukslovian model with the grenade launcher attached. retailed for around 500, and i was asking 350.
might have been hard to find the grenade amo, but would have made a nice toy.
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

mrford Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 19:35:23

More like illegal to find the grenade ammo other than powder rounds
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Marshal Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 20:10:25

doubt you would have found grenade ammo's for that in us nor elsewhere, if you had tried to buy you could have ended in fed. prison.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

mrford Game profile

Jun 12th 2010, 20:37:10

U can have powder rounds

but for explosive rounds, silencers, and other stuff like that I need a advanced liscense usually needing approval from the sherrif himself.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

archaic Game profile

Jun 13th 2010, 3:41:37

the grenade launcher on an sks is just a tube that attaches in lieu of a bayonet lug where a grenade could be attached and launched by firing a regular round. Its a WWII design, not t he self propelled kind of grenade as seen on something modern like an M-4.

$500 is pretty high for an SKS

Nuke, there is no scale on those pictures, if the item is less then 2-3 inches then it is probably a sinker for fishing. If it is a lot longer, it may be an old window counter-weight.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

NOW3P Game profile

Jun 16th 2010, 6:34:05

nuke - I think you're correct. That's an old 50's or 60's lead line sinker, I think (pictures are kinda crappy, but it looks exactly like the ones I have). Most likely the little nub at the top at one point in time had a lead loop attached to it which has since broken off.

I inherited a tackle box from my grandfather after he passed several years ago, and there was about 2 dozen of those things in there. I seem to remember that the 2 indentations are something to do with air pockets and allowing the sinker to sink straight down. Scale wouldn't matter much, as they made them all the way from about 1/2 inch to 3 inches (1 gram - 56 grams, in my box)

llaar Game profile

Jun 23rd 2010, 20:51:47

i just got a norinco SKS last fall actually...

500 is definitely too high to pay

and all sks shoot 7.62 rounds, same as AK

its a different rifle, and not a 'pre-AK'

and that image is definitely not a bullet...

llaar Game profile

Jun 23rd 2010, 20:56:18

as for what you found:

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/...os/lead_pencil_sinker.jpg

look like that kinda doesn't it?

thats a lead pencil sinker for fishing...

NOW3P Game profile

Jun 25th 2010, 0:03:43

llaar wins the boobies prize

*flashes llaar and runs away*

kemo Game profile

Jun 25th 2010, 1:01:57

its a multiverse sun capturin like device
all praised to ra

CaptainTenacious Game profile

Jun 26th 2010, 3:26:50

BOOBIES! *chases nowie*
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.
Moderation being an imaginary place i go to when i drink.

GorGo Game profile

Jun 28th 2010, 1:07:00

Got this from googles :

[PDF]
412031.F01 BB 3/6
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Figure 8 Compression Ground Rod Tap Connector. Dimensions (In.) Cat. No. A Ground Rod. B Cable Range .... 6 SOL. - 4 STR. 8 SOL.-8 STR. BG OR e. B58CR. G. I. BC46-BB. 6 SOL. - 4 STR. 6 SOL.-6 STR. .... Satisfies requirements of NEC250-81 and ... Provides a permanent, reliable connection. Uses ...