Verified:

hawkeyee Game profile

Mar 16th 2012, 7:35:48

Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

iTarl Game profile

Mar 16th 2012, 13:09:39

i forwarded that article to the congress, they have all the answers

Atryn Game profile

Mar 16th 2012, 13:12:24

That is a terribly written article in that it fails in what it sets out in the introductory paragraph. At best, it is a history/evaluation of PURE electric vehicles, not hybrids, as it says.

I am on my second Toyota Prius. I have never had to plug it in. I have no range problems (~400 - 450 miles). I have never had to replace a battery. I have no charging/refueling problems. It wasn't cost-prohibitive at all.

The article tosses out nuclear power in an awful hurry considering we just approved the permits for new nuclear power plant construction for the first time in decades. (and, btw, why is it citing 3-mile island? I can think of much better and more recent examples if you did want to bash nuclear)

The article also fails to do any analysis on the opposing side, the status quo. It spends the latter half of the article (once you get past the history) bashing why electric (and supposedly hybrid, but not) won't work or is too costly. But it doesn't answer the fundamental questions of whether continued status quo will or won't work or for how long or at what risk.

But more than anything, I am annoyed at the claim that it addresses hybrids and then the complete failure to do so, lumping them in with plug-ins.

Forgotten

Mar 17th 2012, 0:08:35

STEP 1) Design a car that is solar+wind+electric powered.
STEP 2) ??????????
STEP 3) PROFIT!
STEP 4) BUY OUT YOUR PRIVATE MILITARY MARKET!

~LaF's Retired Janitor~

cruddy Game profile

Mar 17th 2012, 15:21:32

interesting

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 17th 2012, 15:28:04

Originally posted by Forgotten:
STEP 1) Design a car that is solar+wind+electric powered.
STEP 2) ??????????
STEP 3) PROFIT!
STEP 4) BUY OUT YOUR PRIVATE MILITARY MARKET!

PriusMBR?
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Mar 17th 2012, 21:13:16

Originally posted by Atryn:

That is a terribly written article in that it fails in what it sets out in the introductory paragraph. At best, it is a history/evaluation of PURE electric vehicles, not hybrids, as it says.

I am on my second Toyota Prius. I have never had to plug it in. I have no range problems (~400 - 450 miles). I have never had to replace a battery. I have no charging/refueling problems. It wasn't cost-prohibitive at all.

The article tosses out nuclear power in an awful hurry considering we just approved the permits for new nuclear power plant construction for the first time in decades. (and, btw, why is it citing 3-mile island? I can think of much better and more recent examples if you did want to bash nuclear)

The article also fails to do any analysis on the opposing side, the status quo. It spends the latter half of the article (once you get past the history) bashing why electric (and supposedly hybrid, but not) won't work or is too costly. But it doesn't answer the fundamental questions of whether continued status quo will or won't work or for how long or at what risk.

But more than anything, I am annoyed at the claim that it addresses hybrids and then the complete failure to do so, lumping them in with plug-ins.

Did you own a prius for 8 years 100k miles?
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

mrford Game profile

Mar 18th 2012, 23:47:24

Electric cars and hybrids are a stopgap untill hydrogen powered cars are financially and logistically feasible. It is as simple as that.

Think of electric, hybrid, and hydrogen cars this way. You know what the car did for the horse? No longer was it a needed tool that we ran into the ground, now horses are reserved for fun, hobby, and other uses. The car saved and redefined the horse.

Now apply that logic to the gas powered performance car. These hybrids, and ultimately hydrogen powered cars will save the petrolhead and prolong the performance based internal combustion.

That's my opinion on the matter anyways and no I did not read the article.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Steeps Game profile

Mar 19th 2012, 0:25:58

Prius is the wrong way round, electric cars should be electric powered with batteries with a commutable range (charge at work etc) with a built in petrol engine to charge the batteries when doing an extended journey. Look up the Fisker.

Atryn Game profile

Mar 19th 2012, 2:26:44

Steeps - yeah, I like the Fisker cars and I even considered investing in their last round last Fall. But I am a bit concerned that they are out for yet another round now and way behind schedule. They were supposed to IPO in February and instead they are running another investor round. This is not their first slip.

The solar powered roof is pretty neat, although it doesn't actually add much and most people who can afford the Karma won't park it outside often. ;)

Eric171 Game profile

Mar 19th 2012, 11:39:58

That article is pretty silly regarding nuclear power.

There aren`t good options for emerging nations for baseline power production other than nuclear power stations.

Oceana Game profile

Mar 19th 2012, 11:58:15

I bought a Prius 2 years ago, at $4 a gallon it is almost like a free car compared to my old 20 MPG car, especially when you look at resale value. never mind that 45+ mpg's no plug in and the newer ones are easily over 50MPG. I really can't understand any reason to ever buy an old guzzler again, and sure the hell can't see why I would want to go buy a car that needs an extension cord either, especially the ones that will only drive you locally. Why in the world has it taken so long for this technology to not be incorporated in almost all vehicles?

mrford Game profile

Mar 19th 2012, 14:07:40

You know how much pollution the mining, refining, and shipping of the batteries in your Prius creates? Probably more than my truck has in it's 170,000 miles.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Mar 19th 2012, 14:42:43

Originally posted by Oceana:
Why in the world has it taken so long for this technology to not be incorporated in almost all vehicles?

we're spending the money trying to convince the lardasses to get off the couch so that the vehicles don't have to haul around a few extra hundred pounds of stored body fat.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Atryn Game profile

Mar 19th 2012, 15:58:40

mrford: It is absolutely true that if the choice is between buying a new car (of any sort, Prius included) or continuing to run an old car, the old car will win on total environmental impact.

Unfortunately, older cars are more frequently plagued with other problems that inconvenience owners if they aren't self-serve auto mechanics.

But comparing a new Prius to a new Truck the difference wouldn't be all that big. The Nickel is a difference for the Prius but the Prius will typically weigh less than a Truck and will have the more efficient engine. The Nickel is also recyclable.

When we got our second Prius, we didn't send the first one to a car compactor, we traded it in at the dealer and they sold it to a new owner on their used lot. So the total life of that Prius will be much longer. I have been in a lot of Prius taxis lately and they certainly rack up the miles.

Wharfed

Mar 20th 2012, 0:23:25

I drive a Jeep Wrangler, lifted and goes off-road rather often. I get 12mpg.

Also have a Datsun 280z, also a straight 6 that makes similar power to my Jeep. It gets like 25-28mpg.

Edited By: Wharfed on Mar 20th 2012, 0:32:24
See Original Post
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

Wharfed

Mar 20th 2012, 0:33:38

Also, that's a stupid perspective on the electric car. Go buy a Tesla Model S.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

Mar 20th 2012, 0:47:46

not entirely sure that i want to dump $200k into a house just so i can have the proper facilities to charge it with.

Wharfed

Mar 20th 2012, 1:04:55

Why do you have to spend $200k on a house? Learn to buy a cheaper house.
>Wharfed

Oceana Game profile

Mar 20th 2012, 1:57:42

Originally posted by mrford:
You know how much pollution the mining, refining, and shipping of the batteries in your Prius creates? Probably more than my truck has in it's 170,000 miles.

thats ok for the difference in price of gas to go 170K miles I'll have my 2nd prius bought for free.

Mar 20th 2012, 7:09:46

Originally posted by Wharfed:

think i'll just stick with my unicycle and leave the house available for people who actually need it.

hawkeyee Game profile

Mar 20th 2012, 21:20:26

Originally posted by Wharfed:

There are houses cheaper than $200,000?
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 21st 2012, 6:39:58

This article is silly; it is all just "blah blah blah I don't like electric vehicles"

Where are the numbers? Where are the quantitative arguments?

Also, mrford, hydrogen vehicles are basically just electric vehicles that use hydrogen to store energy instead of batteries; having worked on the hydrogen storage problem as my masters thesis, I'm leaning towards batteries simply as they seem to be able to solve the energy density combined with operating temperature that is required much more readily than hydrogen storage has been able to; that's not to say it can't be done with H2, but so far batteries are (unfortunately, imho) kicking the pants off hydrogen...

I'd have to say that article didn't really say anything about electric cars other than:

1) electric cars now aren't like electric cars in the 1890-1920's (so?)

2) he's worried about the power grid.

However, I'd say that 2 is not warranted; in fact the analyses that I read for my thesis suggested the opposite; if you have "smart" electric vehicles that recharge from the grid based on grid load (ie make them recharge at night mostly) you could really balance out the daily sinusoid that is the current power consumption in the US&etc; having to ramp up and down power plants is immensely inefficient; it would allow us to use a higher percentage of our "baseline" power from sources that CAN'T be turned down at night, like nuclear; also, why dismiss nuclear? It's got to happen to some degree no matter what some people may think. Also, dismissing solar isn't good either; solar isn't a silver bullet to solve our electric problems to be sure, but it can put out a hell of a lot of power if you put them all over in places like new mexico, nevada, arizona, utah... and they're not THAT hard to put in place, easier than nuclear anyway.

To say that the solution is just to keep using gasoline as we approach (or are on?) peak oil is nuts.
Finally did the signature thing.

Rednose Game profile

Mar 21st 2012, 8:56:07

I worked on a project last term at university, that evaluated the ecological balance of electric cars, aka not only look at the use of gas/electricity but also at energetic production costs. e.g. with the current state of tech, you have to exchange the batteries far more often than a normal motor.

We did almost all the comparisons with german data, though, and in germany we're way back on hybrid cars, but on the other hand, we already have a pretty decent part of regenerative energy production.
As a result, as long as the production of electricity doesn't move away from coal, pure electric cars cause about the same exhaust as cars with a slightly better than average gas efficiency(in germany; sorry, but in the us most cars are still an atrocity in fuel efficiency)
nuclear energy isn't the solution for the future either, though, because of long-term disposal of the rods

Long-term, I firmly believe that regenerative energies are the way to go as energy source, but we're still far away from that. And as long as it doesn't happen, pure electric cars are not the solution for the environment.
The have a few pros, like the "smart grid" application, that qz already mentioned and not having smog in the cities. But effective at this moment, if you changed all cars to electric cars, not much would change, apart from the need to build tons of power plants.

Urgh, this got a little confusing, but I don't really have the time at the moment, to order my thoughts for this posts ^^

Eric171 Game profile

Mar 21st 2012, 11:14:03

eletric and hydrogen cars are much more about peak oil than environmental fluff.