Feb 15th 2012, 16:28:06

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

trumper Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 18:00:45

That's not accurate, most folks I know wouldn't distinguish Central America and Mexico. Plus the comment next to Greenland would have been, "this one should have been called Iceland and Iceland should have been called Greenland." The note next to Canada would have read something like "almost the 51st state."

Atryn Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 18:03:32

No Hawaii?!?!?!

trumper: its not the world according to Americans, it is "The World According to a Group of Americans"... also, read the mouseover text.

gwagers Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 19:41:55

I think distinguishing Mexico from "Central America" is accurate as far as Americans are concerned. Mexico is not only the largest Central American country, but it's also the one on our border. I think it's fair to describe the general American view of Central America as "Mexico, and those other ones." When I hear "Central America," for instance, my first thought is "everything between Mexico and South America," regardless of whether or not Mexico is technically part of Central America.
Peloponnese (PEHL-oh-puh-NEES): a mythical land of cheesecake

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Who has time for that? BLAST THEM ALL!

trumper Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 19:44:30

Originally posted by gwagers:
I think distinguishing Mexico from "Central America" is accurate as far as Americans are concerned. Mexico is not only the largest Central American country, but it's also the one on our border. I think it's fair to describe the general American view of Central America as "Mexico, and those other ones." When I hear "Central America," for instance, my first thought is "everything south of Mexico," regardless of whether or not Mexico is technically part of Central America.

Precisely, most Americans would consider Mexico to represent Central America even though it's North America.

gwagers Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 19:49:18

Isn't ALL of Central America in North America? We call it Central America, yes, but that's an arbitrary geographical designation without anything to back it up except language differences and history.

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Detmer Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 19:51:18

Originally posted by trumper:
I think distinguishing Mexico from "Central America" is accurate as far as Americans are concerned. Mexico is not only the largest Central American country, but it's also the one on our border. I think it's fair to describe the general American view of Central America as "Mexico, and those other ones." When I hear "Central America," for instance, my first thought is "everything south of Mexico," regardless of whether or not Mexico is technically part of Central America.

Precisely, most Americans would consider Mexico to represent Central America even though it's North America.

I admit I don't regularly ask people whether or not they consider Mexico to be part of Central America, but I don't recall ever hearing someone include Mexico with Central America.

Ok, I just polled my office.

The person from Cedar Rapids considered Mexico to be part of Central America and those from San Diego, El Paso and Seattle considered Mexico to definitely be North America. I do acknowledge there is a coincidental, geographic bias to this sample.

Klown Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 20:34:21

I disagree. Everyone I know, including myself, would consider Mexico to be separate from 'Central America', which is the countries south of Mexico and north of South America ending in Panama. Whether or not that's technically accurate, I don't know.

sigma Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 20:40:46

As gwagers alluded to, there is no central america continent.

Most americans would also say that Panama was part of central america... even though its North american.

All central american countries are north american countries.

Klown Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 20:46:41

I think everyone knows Central America is part of North America. Well, maybe some would say South but I doubt it. I don't think anyone believes there is a Central American continent.

henrik Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 20:48:16

The american should have placed usa in the middle of the map :)

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 15th 2012, 20:48:30

*pokes trumper in the eye* ... hey, we're the 51st state in the UK;)
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Sifos Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 21:26:04

Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

trumper Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 22:01:18

Originally posted by sigma:
As gwagers alluded to, there is no central america continent.

Most americans would also say that Panama was part of central america... even though its North american.

All central american countries are north american countries.

Yes and if we go down this path then we can get some folks from Central America to lecture Americans on calling themselves Americans.

trumper Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 22:02:30

Originally posted by Akula:
*pokes trumper in the eye* ... hey, we're the 51st state in the UK;)

I guy I know indirectly in the Canadian military was asked by an American (actually a few) on July 4th how did Canadian gain it's independence, by fighting? He said, no, we just asked for it." Therefore I will grant you the status as a branch of the UK.

However, for all intents and purposes the Canadian population may as well have dual citizenship with their American counterparts save for voting as we don't want the left-wing stuff =).

TY Game profile

Feb 15th 2012, 22:10:08

Katt Williams said it best, so I will let him speak for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7z_ztMxBgk
There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together.
Josh Billings

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Feb 15th 2012, 23:51:30

I was expecting the "don't drink with white people" routine:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

TY Game profile

Feb 16th 2012, 2:27:36

Yea that's a good bit also. Just for martian

http://youtu.be/P1Bsee_sx4A

I really like this one on Michael Jackson too, with a good little jab at Whitney Houston

http://youtu.be/8hHYEVPsuV0

Edited By: TY on Feb 16th 2012, 2:53:58
See Original Post
There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together.
Josh Billings

madjsp Game profile

Feb 16th 2012, 5:42:28

Well it's maps like this that confuses people!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/central-america/

It shows that Mexico is in Central America, yet Mexico is considered North America.

-jonathan

joe3: bater sucks so bad imag could teach him a thing about war

iTarl Game profile

Feb 16th 2012, 13:15:37

how large is your country, the size of which one of our states?

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Feb 17th 2012, 13:34:56

north and south america are clearly seperated continents (via the panama canal). "Central America" usually refers to the southern half of north america but its boundaries are not consistently defined.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Raziel Game profile

Feb 18th 2012, 4:14:35

They get points for distinguishing Tasmania lol

gwagers Game profile

Feb 18th 2012, 16:50:54

Considering that the Panama Canal is a man-made waterway, I don't think it can be considered the technical boundary between the continents. Of course, the Central American map above suggests that the division between Central America and South America is the border between Panama and Colombia (it is Colombia down there, right? Venezuela is farther east, isn't it?). So I suppose the canal is no less definitive than someone's arbitrarily-placed political boundary...

EL Kronos Game profile

Feb 18th 2012, 17:47:02

Angel1 Game profile

Feb 20th 2012, 13:32:54

North and South America are two separate continents. Their temporary geographic connection is constantly being destroyed in the slow tectonic pace of the earth.
-Angel1

NukEvil Game profile

Feb 20th 2012, 13:44:51

Considering that the Panama Canal is a man-made waterway, I don't think it can be considered the technical boundary between the continents. Of course, the Central American map above suggests that the division between Central America and South America is the border between Panama and Colombia (it is Colombia down there, right? Venezuela is farther east, isn't it?). So I suppose the canal is no less definitive than someone's arbitrarily-placed political boundary...

Except you can cross a political boundary without having to build a bridge or fly a plane over it, unless that boundary coincides with a geographical boundary, such as a mountain, river, or a man-made canal.

In this case, however, wherever the boundary between the two tectonic plates is, that's ultimately the boundary between the two continents (I mean, how else are continents determined?).
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

nimrodix Game profile

Feb 20th 2012, 19:42:38

lmao

Detmer Game profile

Feb 20th 2012, 19:54:58

There is no strict relationship between the continents as we label them and tectonic plates. If there were such a relationship then Los Angeles would not be a part of North America. The definitions of continents is arbitrary and based solely on the discretion of typologists. ;)

archaic Game profile

Feb 20th 2012, 20:18:57

Henceforth, I decree that Greenland officially be designated continent status. Furthermore, I am hereby revoking Europes continent status and awarding it to India.

that is all
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Sifos Game profile

Feb 20th 2012, 21:38:38

I declare the moon an extension of Australia, they're both big piles of dust and they're only separated by air/vacuum where other continents are often separated by water!
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!