Verified:

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2012, 20:58:46

Since we have lots of people here who like to debate I have an interesting topic to bring up!

Let me set the stage:
* A bar owner wants to expand his business and add on to his bar.
* A local church doesn't approve and prays for god to do something to stop it.
* Lightning strikes the bar and burns it to the ground.
* The bar owner is suing the church for causing god to strike it and ultimately destroying his business.
* The church claims no responsibility for the lightning strike and denies any responsibility.
* The judge says: I have a bar owner who believes in the power of prayer and an entire church who doesn't.

Discuss:

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 21:38:12

lol.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Chaoswind Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 21:46:00

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 8th 2012, 21:48:13

jesus was just a bartender, in the end.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

TY Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 21:54:16

Insurance companies have already set the precedent. No one is responsible for an act of God.
There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together.
Josh Billings

Bsnake Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 21:58:12

lol
<bsnake> 68,270,386 turrets whats that in NW??
<Crippler> 115m NW
<Bsnake> 38 mill NW nub... thanks for your netting advice.. Stick to killing nub

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 8th 2012, 22:19:06

heh
Finally did the signature thing.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2012, 22:19:07

TY that isn't the point of the story here :p Not to mention insurance covers lightning.

TY Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 22:25:16

If you have the coverage
Josh Billings

MilitantOrgy Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 22:45:36

depends on if the church did something to entice the lightning strike, like putting an ungrounded lightning rod in it :P

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2012, 22:56:26

TY: The first form of property insurance was "fire" followed by "lightning" historically. Is there a insurance property policy that excludes or doesn't cover lightning? I really don't think there is. Not in America at least.

MilitantOrgy: They prayed for "god" to do something? Do you not believe in the power of prayer?

kemo Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 23:00:21

requiem the flaw in that is 2 people prayin to win the lottery. 1 wins and the other dont yet he loves us all the same still? somethin seems a bit skewed here
all praised to ra

TY Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 23:01:32

Wouldn't separation of church and state preclude a court of law from making a decision in this case? It would kind of demand acknowledging God does exist.
Josh Billings

TY Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 23:03:10

Originally posted by Requiem:
TY: The first form of property insurance was "fire" followed by "lightning" historically. Is there a insurance property policy that excludes or doesn't cover lightning? I really don't think there is. Not in America at least.

MilitantOrgy: They prayed for "god" to do something? Do you not believe in the power of prayer?

Not everyone carries the property insurance they should
Josh Billings

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2012, 23:08:03

TY: the point of the story wasn't about an actual court ruling but rather if the people in the church really believed in the power of prayer. If they truly believed in the power of prayer wouldn't they be responsible for the damage?

For example if I go to you, TY, and say you know what I don't like that bar I wish something would happen to it would you please do something about it. And then you go and burn it down... I would be found guilty and also be held responsible for the damages right? Well if the church really believed in the power of their own prayer then they would have to admit they asked god to do something and he responded to their request which makes them responsible?

It's really for you to decide! I just thought it sparks a little bit of debate :D

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2012, 23:09:27

Originally posted by TY:

Not everyone carries the property insurance they should

Ok TY: find me an american insurance company that does not cover lightning damage for property insurance (i.e. Homeowners Insurance). I really don't think there is, I work in the insurance industry btw. Also don't get side tracked this has nothing to do with the topic.

Edited By: Requiem on Feb 8th 2012, 23:11:37
See Original Post

TY Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 23:16:26

I am not saying that if he had insurance that it wouldn't cover it. I am saying not everyone has insurance even though it is a good idea to have it. Geez
Josh Billings

TY Game profile

Feb 8th 2012, 23:18:34

TY: the point of the story wasn't about an actual court ruling but rather if the people in the church really believed in the power of prayer. If they truly believed in the power of prayer wouldn't they be responsible for the damage?

For example if I go to you, TY, and say you know what I don't like that bar I wish something would happen to it would you please do something about it. And then you go and burn it down... I would be found guilty and also be held responsible for the damages right? Well if the church really believed in the power of their own prayer then they would have to admit they asked god to do something and he responded to their request which makes them responsible?

It's really for you to decide! I just thought it sparks a little bit of debate :D

and since the other responses were just lol, your welcome for me getting it started
Josh Billings

vintage'

Feb 8th 2012, 23:18:50

Goes to show that religion is most valuable by those who can twist it to work in their favour!

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Feb 9th 2012, 0:18:40

separation of church and state doesn't apply to aethiests. they have no church. or their church is the state, so they have a conflict of interest.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Helmet Game profile

Feb 9th 2012, 2:16:38

He should take the insurance money and build a huge bar that looks like a church from the outside.

sigma Game profile

Feb 9th 2012, 16:23:11

For example if I go to you, TY, and say you know what I don't like that bar I wish something would happen to it would you please do something about it. And then you go and burn it down... I would be found guilty and also be held responsible for the damages right?

No, I don't think you'd be found responsible for that. What you're referring to here would be conspiracy to commit a crime. In order for you to be charged and convicted for the burning down of the bar, it would have to be proven that you entered an agreement to get the bar shut down through an illegal act.

You stated to TY that you wanted the bar shut down, and asked if he would do something about it. If he agreed to get it shut down, you never understood that he was going to do it through illegal means. You could have assumed that he was going to get the bar shut down because it had health code violations, they had unpermitted construction completed, unpaid taxes, imminent domain, starting a boycott of the bar, etc. There are many ways one could attempt to shut down a bar. Just simply mentioning that you want him to shut it down, is not a criminal offense.

The same goes with the first example. You'd need to prove that the Church entered into an agreement with God to have the bar shutdown through illegal means.

Atryn Game profile

Feb 9th 2012, 16:37:01

I don't think the power of prayer is the issue here. The church would/should assert that nobody can know the mind of God. He works in mysterious ways, after all. There is no proof that the churchgoers were the ONLY ones to pray or that God wouldn't have struck the bar even without their prayers.

The burden of proof would be on the bar owner to show that it was specifically the prayers of the church and nothing else that led to God's decision.

gwagers Game profile

Feb 9th 2012, 17:13:00

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
separation of church and state doesn't apply to aethiests. they have no church. or their church is the state, so they have a conflict of interest.

What does that have to do with the scenario?
Peloponnese (PEHL-oh-puh-NEES): a mythical land of cheesecake

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Who has time for that? BLAST THEM ALL!

xaos Game profile

Forum Moderator

Feb 9th 2012, 17:29:38

I still want to know what a "secernio" is.

Zues The Greek Game profile

Feb 12th 2012, 4:03:48

I hate when new words are created that I have no understanding of :P