Verified:

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Oct 15th 2011, 22:31:23

neato. i was attempting to test my heat today, but failed to get it to turn on. made an inquiry to the landlord, and found out that my heater won't run until the outside temperature is below 50 degrees fahrenheit. interesting, thanks for the notification.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Pain Game profile

Oct 16th 2011, 0:10:15

if your rent includes the price of heating then i dont blame them for that policy.
Your mother is a nice woman

Oct 16th 2011, 2:45:42

yah, they pay for heat and water. it's not a blame thing. i just wasn't aware of the policy before this year. kinda raises questions about how much heat they have to provide though, once it does come on. i experience more problems from too much heat anyway.

Terror Game profile

Oct 16th 2011, 4:58:13

That's pretty interesting. I myself am very stingy with heating. I set my thermostat to 55 in the winter. When I lived in Michigan I had renters in my house, and I didn't charge them extra for utilities, but I full well should have. Those assholes cranked my heat up to 90 in the winter and opened the windows when I wasn't home. I'm glad that era of life is over for me. I am calmer and happier.

Pain Game profile

Oct 16th 2011, 6:10:09

depending on what the heat is powered by, it can get pretty expensive. they probably dont want it to be used until its absolutley necessary. 50 degrees is awful cold though, i turn the heat on when it drops to 60.

Oct 16th 2011, 10:07:54

it's some kind of radiator system. basically 1 long pipe with fins runs along the base of 1 wall. i usually set it for 65-70. any lower and i wouldn't get out of bed until spring showed up.

Terror Game profile

Oct 16th 2011, 22:02:43

You could possibly suppliment with a space heater if you were really uncomfortable.

Oct 16th 2011, 22:54:36

naw, i'll just have to wait to test it. i just don't like setting it to come on when i'm asleep during the start of the season. don't want to wake up in the middle of a fire.

Pain Game profile

Oct 17th 2011, 8:58:52

i personally have an electric heating blacket. i pull it out when it starts to get cold i actually prefer to have it cooler in the room when im using that. its nice to hop under the covers and have the bed already nice and toasty

legion Game profile

Oct 17th 2011, 18:59:51

I have never turned heat on..ever.

Damned yanks
Nobody puts baby in a corner

Terror Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 1:35:09

I predict at some point this winter, my cat who seems to be increasingly needy and in want of warm temperatures now that she is getting older will crawl completely up my ass.

We should both stay warm.

Pain Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 6:31:59

Originally posted by legion:

Damned yanks

im sorry we have REAL seasons. got snow?

:P

Oct 18th 2011, 20:08:46

Originally posted by legion:

Damned yanks

keep it down, or i might decide to get you to start calling me a God Damned Yank again. might decide to stay next time i move south.

Terror Game profile

Oct 20th 2011, 2:14:10

There are too many roaches here and they never die.

Oct 21st 2011, 23:18:32

they run away soon as you turn the light on... you forgot to mention how big they are...

Oct 23rd 2011, 8:21:00

hmm, 45 F degrees outside, 72 F degrees inside without the heater turned on. weird. maybe i has too much CO2 in my apartment?

Marshal Game profile

Oct 23rd 2011, 14:55:16

turn off coimputer, tv, game console and check again.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Oct 23rd 2011, 16:51:36

hehe. they were all off for at least 7 hours. might be because the laundry room is right below me, and they lock it's door at night now.

ZIP Game profile

Oct 26th 2011, 23:25:57

i have a thermostat that goes up and down when we are home and not - helps
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

Oct 26th 2011, 23:39:34

i have one of the old mercury switch thermostats. i thought about asking if i could replace it with a programmable one, but it would only work for the heater. the A/C is a window unit that only turns off the compressor. buggy. turn off the fan also.

Oct 30th 2011, 6:48:22

oh, they blocked in the back door during the summer. 39 F outside, 70F inside. looks like i might not have to use my heat this winter. damn those greedy corporations.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 30th 2011, 13:26:50

even if you don't use your heat it won't change your rent.

Oct 30th 2011, 13:57:17

this is true. but i don't really like man-made heat, i kinda view it as being unhealthy. especially the forced air heat. yech. radiators don't bother me as much.

maybe they won't raise the rent next year. hehe. yeah, right.

Marshal Game profile

Oct 30th 2011, 18:21:31

landlord not raising rent? get out of here.

my rent rises few euros (2-3) twice a year and I don't see reason for it since no repairing etc.

Oct 30th 2011, 18:56:12

dunno. my landlord(s) are pretty active with improving our community environment. management lives here, near as i can tell. they can't increase my rent until next August. i don't really see it as much different than negotiating a salary. do you want to gamble that the next tenant will be to your benefit, or are you willing to compromise with what i think is acceptable?

Oceana Game profile

Oct 30th 2011, 19:37:14

I have all utilities and no limits, that heat policy though don't sound bad but what is their A/C policy??

Oct 30th 2011, 20:17:17

um, they provide an A/C unit that is capable of cooling my apartment, but i'm required to pay for electric. i can also purchase a 2nd A/C unit for the bedroom, but don't have enough of a sex life to require it.

um, max electric for 70-75 F degrees inside is probably $125 a month. average is probably around $50 a month.

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Oct 30th 2011, 20:27:59
See Original Post

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 31st 2011, 15:23:28

always negotiate rent increases. I've not had to pay the last three where I rent for reasons dibs stated.
The law here is that they don't have to provide for AC but the temperature in the unit must be maintained at at least 70F which bothers me in places where they have central heating because I much prefer 65F. Fortunately where i live now I can turn on the AC to offset the heat (and electricity is included in my rent anyway).

Your electric doesn't seem that bad Dibs.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Nov 1st 2011, 7:12:14

i tend to turn things off when i'm not using them. don't have a gaming PC. and never use the stovetop or oven. i tend to avoid the things that generate excessive heat.

i also have 8 gallons of water sitting in my fridge, and i think, 10 liters of water frozen in my freezer. kinda figure that it's that much less hot air to cool when i open the doors.

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Nov 1st 2011, 17:44:56
See Original Post

Almighty_Zarc Game profile

Nov 2nd 2011, 6:37:58

I don't know about your area, but where I live, the law states the min settings for heat included rent. I think it's something like 65 degrees here. You can talk with your landlord about it being lower for reduced rent, but always get that in writing.

Nov 8th 2011, 20:51:52

don't think we have laws regarding that. not sure if all landlords are required to pay for heat.

i got a bit aggravated the other day when i bought a desk lamp. 40 watt incandescent bulb. wtf? i got a pole lamp using only 26 watts. found a bulb that only uses 15 watts. don't understand it, it's like they think i have a nuclear power plant hanging out just waiting for me to turn on my desk lamp.

Almighty_Zarc Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 3:06:22

are you talking about the classic light bulbs or the newer funny looking spiral ones? The newer ones require a lot less watts for the same amount of light. Granted they take a few seconds to warm up and get to full strength, but well worth it in the long run.

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 3rd 2011, 10:21:19

i've never lived in rented accommodation where the rent/landlord paid for heating. not sure i'd want to.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Marshal Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 11:28:52

just wait, soon you'll be forced to buy "energysaving" bulbs.

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 3rd 2011, 12:26:45

i don't pay that much attention to details around me, but i'm pretty sure something like that is already happening in the UK. incandescent bulbs were all taken off the shelves about a year ago
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org