Verified:

Evolution Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 4:59:29

So from what I can gather, NBA players are on strike because they don't get paid 5x what I do in order for them to warm a bench for a season. Oh wait they do.

Is it just about pay or is there some changes to player trading or something?

Its hit the news here but they aren't giving proper details, nor justifying why it is on the news.
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 5:01:13

If you ask the players it's not about the amount per se. It's about owners getting an unfair share of the profits considering (in their opinion) that they are the ones who sell tickets/merchandise/etc....
Smarter than your average bear.

Peanut Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 5:01:15

I believe close to half of the NBA teams are losing money each season. I think that has something to do with it. Plus the players claim it isn't their fault.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 5:03:12

It IS the player's fault. The sides were coming close to an agreement when Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Kobe Bryant (combined years of college 3) showed up at a meeting where David Stern was selling the owners on the compromise and blew up the proceedings saying the players have changed their minds and no longer agree to the deal, and on top of that there is nothing further to discuss. KG blew up in an irrational temper tantrum and the NBA has seen no labor talk progress since.
Smarter than your average bear.

ninong Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 5:29:39

hrmm i didn't know garnett & kobe attended those meetings
ninong, formerly Johnny Demonic
IX

locket Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 5:37:18

The players are greedy. They made the owners back down on a hard cap and it is quite pathetic. I bet you the players on a lot of the teams think differently. But then of course Kobe and co. play for the teams with every single NBA star on them who wouldnt be able to exist with a hard cap.

The NBA is going to SUFFER bigtime from this. I'm going to laugh. This will be very much like baseball and the Expo's. I wouldnt be surprised if they lost teams.

diez Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 5:39:32

NBA locket out ftw

bertz Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 5:46:39

Originally posted by diez:
NBA locket out ftw
lol

I've read somewhere they're canceling the first two weeks of the season

Thomas Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 6:19:22

That's true, bertz, they already cancelled the first 2 weeks.

hanlong Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 6:20:35

LOCKET OUT
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

hanlong Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 6:21:22

also btw 5x?

you make good money then. if i made 1/5th as much as the average bball player (i think its 5M a year) i'd be very very happy ;P
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

tsouns Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 10:46:51

Minimum salary for a rookie last season was 473,604$.
I'd be happy to get 1/5 of even that little...

Evolution Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 11:21:30

Originally posted by tsouns:
Minimum salary for a rookie last season was 473,604$.
I'd be happy to get 1/5 of even that little...

well if you include the highest exchange rate in 2009 I was at that pay level of 1/5 of that. Now its been gfc'd to 1/10th, falling next year too.

:(

In some Australian sports the owners didn't have a choice and were forced to have a salary cap, mainly because half the teams would not be viable otherwise. Though the top teams always get in trouble when 'unrelated third parties' give their players houses and cars and stuff XD.

Sending in star players to negotiate directly who have no business sense and can command higher pay that doesn't reflect the average player's income is totally the best move for all the players.

They are also doing it at a time when their fan base is going through rough economic conditions, they will prolly lose ratings/income in the longer term.
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

PapaSmurf Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 12:04:16

You can't say lock out in the title and strike in your post. They are completely different. In a lock out it's the owners doing, a strike is the players doing. I can't really blame the players for fighting for their pay. I would if it happened at my work.

This is basically like your boss saying, ok we are going to stop work. Here is this pie that we use to share 50/50. Well now we want 65/35, and we aren't going to start work again until we can squeeze as much as possible from you. (the percentage is just example, I don't know what it really is)

PapaSmurf Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 12:07:02

Also, I feel bad for saying it. But the NBA needs to drop the WNBA. It's a money pit. The WNBA will have to stand on it's own two feet if the NBA is doing that bad financially.

Evolution Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 15:18:01

In Australia its reported as both a lock out and a players strike.

Thats part of the reason why I am asking whats going on.

From what I gathered, both sides were blocking each other, owners made an offer and it was rejected by players.

JanPaul

Oct 18th 2011, 15:25:39

it's like a coach carter movie?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 18th 2011, 15:27:07

For me the NBA has sucked ever since Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman quit playing :p Those were the exciting days for NBA basketball.

College basketball is where it's at, the NBA is just boring these days.

Evolution Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 15:58:36

Originally posted by Requiem:
For me the NBA has sucked ever since Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman quit playing :p Those were the exciting days for NBA basketball.

+1.

madjsp Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 16:30:01

Oh I enjoyed when the bulls did so good this season. If we had one more big Guy that can score, we would be damn near unstoppable!
-jonathan

joe3: bater sucks so bad imag could teach him a thing about war

Deerhunter Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 17:20:39

I forsee a lot more black male athletes playing hockey if this lockout continues. Frankly, i think they would make hockey much more interesting to watch and am all for getting rid of basket ball. I mean, who really cares to watch a bunch of guys in shorts running back and forth touching each other. Much better having them slam each other with sticks.
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 18th 2011, 18:22:33

Oh deerhunter, you must be from the back woods of TN :p

macmd Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 19:01:58

The owners are seeking protection from themselves. And some teams probably can't survive with a hard cap and revenue sharing (Sacramento, probably).

Some players are paid a lot more than they should be (and you could argue that certain franchise players are paid less than they should be).

Agents are telling the players what to do, while trying to protect their paychecks for the next 30 years.

The whole thing is a wreck. I wonder when Europe becomes a viable option for top tier players?

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 19:29:05

dang, now they going to have go flip burgers for a living. i'm going to have to quit eating out.

i don't make good spectator anyway, so i couldn't care less if all the professional sports went away. just a bunch of people whacking off on how good they are at doing nothing of consequence. i can do that for free, while under the influence.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

hanlong Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 19:39:12

oh if its just 473k then n/m :P that's not as bad then
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

nitroxidus Game profile

Oct 18th 2011, 22:59:50

bleh, nba isn't the same as it used to be. it could never come back and i'd be fine as long as there is still college bball around.

hoop Game profile

Oct 19th 2011, 2:55:17

I swear these people saying the game hasn't been the same since Jordan just aren't watching. This last season was the best season I've seen in my life time, mind you only 26. I loved the Jordan years and Jordan is the best player I've ever seen, but the league right now is beyond words amazing to watch. We have more talent in the league that EVER before and we very well may see 10+ of todays guy be considered 10 of the 40-50 best ever.

As for the lockout, the issue has been the share of REVENUE which seems insane to me. If costs outside of players rise then the profit for the owners drops. Now keep in mind the numbers who if the owners are losing money are iffy and not confirmed (I haven't seen numbers so please let me know if there are hard numbers out there). There are issues over the accruals and what is and isn't revenue for them, but whatever. The NBA needs a hard cap, with maybe a one player per team COMPLETE exemptions. What is interesting is that the best players in the league are grossly under paid. Jordan made 36 million his last ear with the bulls, that is still the highest single season pay for a player. Mean while we have Reshard Lewis making either max or new max pay right now...really WTF? Also contracts are too long today. 3 years outside of the rookie contracts should be a max. That or they shouldn't be guaranteed. I get it, the union wants to protect a guy who gets hurt. The problem is he keeps other guys from getting into the league and making an impact! The league as it stands doesn't offer teams the ability to easily improve. Now is does offer the fans more stability than the NFL, which btw is why I like the NBA 10000x more than the NFL, but a bit more mobility would certainly be nice.

I dont' see why they aren't looking at costs and revenues for player salary, and frankly I don't get why the owners would give the players such a chunk of revenue in the fist place. For the plaeyers their salary is all profit. The owners it isn't...

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 19th 2011, 3:03:21

One thing is for sure if they miss any regular season they'll be hurting real bad... NBA isn't like the NFL they don't have near as large of a fan base. I could see it going the way of baseball real easy. It could be argued that baseball never fully recovered from it's strike.

Junky Game profile

Oct 19th 2011, 3:26:53

I quit caring about Basketball after Bird and Johnson left the NBA
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

nitroxidus Game profile

Oct 19th 2011, 5:00:06

the nba league is over-saturated with teams no one cares about filled with players no one cares about, the majority of ppl don't care about even watching nba until the playoffs cause its really just a waste of time.

they need to have fewer teams and consolidate the real talent among the teams left, in my humble opinion.

hoop Game profile

Oct 19th 2011, 10:30:43

The league has been growing in popularity by leaps and bounds over the last few years. The talent is the deepest since the Bird days.

Mind you I have no idea how much watch the NFL so I can't comment on what makes it so popular, but the NBA seems to be doing pretty well, and the growth in popularity internationally has been HUGE.

And I must say with my college sucking beyond our normal sucking in football, the only two guys I found interesting in the NFL not playing, and NBA not being here...well this sports fan is hurting. I'm not sure even having UK has a near lock for a title in basketball can fix this.