Verified:

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 6th 2011, 12:35:34

Well, an American computer icon has passed. :(

I'm sorry to hear of the death of Steve Jobs, he was truly an innovator and good idea person, we need more of these kinds of people, not less. :(

I'm sure the Apple World will be in mourning for a time over this. The man really made the current computer industry what it is.

RIP, Steve.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Watertowers

Oct 6th 2011, 13:52:45

Shocking indeed.

Jobs was a great man, though miserly. He never donated much of his 8.3 billion dollars during his life.

mrford Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 17:30:52

imo, steve jobs did way more good with his money than he could of by giving it to the homeless and what not. sure saving a few lives here and there is very noble, but advancing modern human technology affects quite a bit wider of a populace than giving a few million to charities. may be a harsh reality, but it is certainty a true one. jobs never struck me as a "live like a king" type guy, so him keeping his money was never a wealth type thing. also, apple's operating income is not job's operating income.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Terror Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 22:01:29

Giving to charities is just a means of having other people manage your money to do good works. Perhaps he chose to manage his good works himself.

I think Apple will suffer again without him. They almost bankrupted after they fired him the first time, and he revived them like magic.

He will be missed. The man had a great vision of what people want from technology, and that vision can't be learned and will be almost impossible to replace.

NOW3P Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 0:04:20

I don't think his death was shocking at all. He had terminal cancer - that's kinda just the expected result of such a thing. Sad? Yes. Shocking? Definitely not.

I think Jobs was responsible for a different sort of charity - I have no idea if it's better, worse, or just equivalent to donations - he invested in companies that nobody else believed in at the time, and took them on to great heights. Pixar, for example, would never have gotten off the ground were it not for Jobs.

All I know is that the world lost a great innovator in Steve Jobs. I can almost guarantee that not one reader of these forums can look around themselves right now without seeing a piece of technology that he was directly responsible for.

In regards to Apple, Jobs was largely removed from Apple for the last several years following his diagnosis. I'm sure he still had some creative input, but a lot of reports from both inside and outside of Apple put his time commitment at less than 10% since he was diagnosed. The big question will be how Apple's stock will survive the perceived weakness at Apple.

I still hate Fanboys though.

General Earl Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 0:25:46

I wasn't all that surprised either. It was a matter of time. R.I.P Steve-o
General Earl
----
Every time I read AT: http://i.imgur.com/jeryjn8.gif
︻╦╤─✮ ┄ ┄ RatttaTaatataatat!

braden Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 2:39:50

thirty thousand what was is, somalian, chidren died last month? Lets donate Jobs money to people dieing of lack of food and water, and then celebrate him?

your ipod? your ipab? you increased his stock value and he laughed at you. he didn;t help you. at all. in life. if you think he did at all, you are dumb as fluff and deserve to give your money to rich as fluff people who don't deserve it. likely while hating and denigrating conservatives, to boot.

irony? :(

Terror Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 3:08:25

30,000 Somalian women gave birth to 30,000 Somalian children they could not care for. 30,000 Somalian men made 30,000 Somalian women pregnant and then neglected the child of their union.

60,000 Somalian men and women missed out on good education and other social programs 20 years ago that would have prevented the deaths and in many cases the births of those children.

Throwing money at a tidal wave of disaster is pure foolishness. It's even harmful. It's like paying people to continue causing themselves problems.

Steve Jobs never had the power to pay for all the starving children, but he did have the power to improve infrastructure to facilitate education, and FYI Apple for many years chose education as their niche market. I for one think that might not have been random coincidence.

NOW3P Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 3:28:00

From a completely different point of view, terror and watertowers are correct.

Throwing money/food/water at the problems in Africa are only a band-aid solution, at best. I don't say this because people have children they can't care for - procreation is a natural instinct, and a tool for preserving societies. I say this because there are much deeper problems that need to be solved in many countries in Africa before that food/water/money will ever begin to do even the slightest bit of good to solve the crisis they are currently facing. Unfortunately, Steve Jobs was not capable of doing anything about these problems.

I'm not saying it's a BAD thing to send your pennies a day to help a starving child in Africa - life is life, and as a global community I think it's our duty to do what we can to protect it, especially life that can't protect itself - but until several other issues (infrastructure, corruption, lack of tax collection ability, lack of procedural standards, non-existent ability to enforce decisions of the judiciary, etc) are addressed, that food is nothing but a stop gap and only serves to create an unnatural reliance in lieu of addressing the issues internally.

I think you should really check out some information on Jobs before jumping to conclusions like that braden, because you're wildly off base regarding his view of the world and why he did what he did. You should also check out a few of the following articles:

http://www.forbes.com/...charitable-contributions/

http://answers.google.com/...wers/threadview?id=273603

http://thenewamerican.com/...ons-he-gave-at-the-office

So he's not Warren Buffet. I don't know of any law that says he has to give away what he worked so hard to earn to be considered a brilliant innovator that changed the world around him for the better.

Edited By: NOW3P on Oct 7th 2011, 3:34:23
See Original Post

braden Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 11:24:52

i misunderstood. I'll start crying now.

braden Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 11:28:16

(and i myself have always said that once the few ruin it for the many, the many have to wither away and die a slow and painful death in order to effect improvement of infrastructure and facilitate education, gut corruption, etc)

NOW3P Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 23:46:01

We all touch the world in our own way, I guess. The few have been ruining it for the many for centuries...I doubt that will change any time soon. Like it or not, right is defined by might.

braden Game profile

Oct 8th 2011, 0:48:37

i apologize for taking a stance against the mourning of a man who passed, that wasn't my intention in the least.. he is, however, no more important than any other person on the planet, though he very well might be better known.

douchebaggery is douchebaggery and i should have kept my thoughts to myself which is *so* often the case :P

(that might, now, should be enforcing human rights to the people on the planet who are denied them. remove those who deny them forcibly, as people have a right to live not a right to run a corrupt government)

NOW3P Game profile

Oct 8th 2011, 7:24:42

I don't disagree by any means. But in my experience power corrupts, and might brings power....so it's really just an endless cycle of douchebaggery.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 9th 2011, 12:39:25

PHilanthropy is not the final measure of a man. If it were, most of us would be on the low end of the spectrum.

Steve Jobs did something for the human race that wouldn't have happened had everything been left up to corporate interests.

As someone else posted here, he gave us a lot in culture and technology.

Pixar being one good example of his interest in advancing technology and culture.

It's unfortunate that his legacy will be taken over by a combination of corporate interests and lawyers. :( They will never do anything with it other than leech from it until it's all gone. Producing nothing new and helping no one.

Pteppic Game profile

Oct 10th 2011, 16:46:56

My first comp was an APPLE II :(

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Oct 10th 2011, 21:01:38

yeah, he had a great vision about how best to use computers, but we'd still be stuck in the stone ages if people didn't find a way to bypass his holy proprietaryshipness.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Terror Game profile

Oct 12th 2011, 0:21:04

Like so many people from history, Steve Jobs gets credit for a great many innovations, but the truth is that the world would have gone on if he had never been born, and most of what he invented would have been developed by other people although possibly at a slightly later date and with a little different style. I don't like seeing visionary people who can do what millions of others can not die at so young an age, but I did not know him personally, so whether he was a saint or a devil really doesn't impact me much. I'll carry on.

NOW3P Game profile

Oct 12th 2011, 1:53:30

I'm just glad for Pixar. All the rest is just fanboy fluff anyways :-)

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 12th 2011, 6:10:30

Say what you will, Steve Jobs had vision, and he had the wherewithal to act upon that vision, which is saying he was a whole lot more ambitious, motivated, etc. than everyone else. Especially considering that most of us spend our time pontificating on pure bullfluff on these forums.

I don't think that there is even one of us who could even stand any kind of chance at developing an idea into a highly successful product like he has done.

So, if you really want to be critical of this fellow, I highly suggest that you carefully examine your own image in the mirror first.

Terror Game profile

Oct 13th 2011, 0:47:55

I'm a live and let live kind of guy, but Steve Jobs being a famous workaholic doesn't mean I am a lesser human being. When I look at myself in the mirror, I like who I see and I don't wish I were more like Steve Jobs.

braden Game profile

Oct 13th 2011, 0:56:47

at what point in time did he start hiring people and paying them a fluff ton of a money to develop this life and planet bettering technologies for him?

corporate america at it's finest, i say, and good on him for it.

savior Game profile

Oct 13th 2011, 1:47:47

R.I.P
Discipline is the Key to Success.
MD for Life.

anferny Game profile

Oct 20th 2011, 8:17:59

RIP

se3p Game profile

Oct 20th 2011, 15:19:48

RIP

iOsiris Game profile