iNouda Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 13:50:45

Quite an interesting article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...8/25/gIQAt87jKL_blog.html

And a related blog where the "99%" peeps post their stories:

http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/

lostmonk Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 13:53:47

Should have seen the close to 10k protesters on the streets of Manhattan yesterday
Done.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 14:01:20

labor unions are a bit too loud and raucous to be considered part of the silent majority.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 6th 2011, 14:22:52

oddly the Washington post article is playing semantics with the percentile demographics. What would be helpful to the issue is what proportion of people leave school with a debt load and remain unemployed for a prolonged period of time. Broken down by area would be useful too. Also things like the 50th percentile and where it compares to 2000 or something would be nice as well. Also how these things have changed over time.

It doesn't matter if it's the top 1% or the top 30% really. Not that this is the case in the US but if the bottom 99% are in poverty and starving or the bottom 70% are in poverty and starving it makes little difference. in fact 20-30% is probably that "magic number" where you start to have serious problems. I find it very odd that these types of statistics are rarely published objectively or admitted to in the united states (including how they've changed over time).

Of course it's too much actual analytical journalism these days.. this is a prime example of lazy journalism which is mostly opinion and little presentation of fact.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

archaic Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 15:10:43

If they would quit majoring in Art History and Sustainable Gender Studies, they might be able to get a job that would pay their debt when they graduate.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

elvesrus

Oct 6th 2011, 15:32:25

right now schooling is about the only option I have to stay afloat. though it'll be something that actually teaches you how to work a job unlike art history or gender studies ;)
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 6th 2011, 15:39:14

@archaic: is that even the case? That information seems to be omitted. A break down of student unemployment rate by degree is easily obtainable by a newspaper and yet the results are not shared..
lazy journalism
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

elvesrus

Oct 6th 2011, 15:40:36

its the US, what do you expect? our journialists go for sensation before usable facts

archaic Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 18:52:49

OMG Amanda Knox, Michael Jacksons Dr, and Casey Anthony are all legitimate journalistic subjects.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Klown Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 19:14:15

People make choices that determine their outcomes, and a lot of people make bad choices. Why are we obligated to alter society because people make bad choices? These people are the epitome of lazy and prefer to fluff than work to improve their situation. They hate the rich, but most of the rich had to work hard for what they have (a few had it handed to them, so what?). Their sense of entitlement is amazing and very sad. No one owes you anything and I'm not sure why they think otherwise. They want to force people to work to support them (slavery).

I am very sad to be a part of the most worthless generation in the history of this world.

elvesrus

Oct 6th 2011, 19:46:00

I almost hate to say this, but as a general idea I agree with what you're saying there Klown.

Just an FYI, not all of us made that choice. For some of us there are circumstances beyond our control. I would love to be working right now, but I medically can't do anything long term that requires standing. Without some sort of degree or years of prior experience there is almost nothing that fits that criteria on the job market.

Klown Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 19:54:08

Don't get me wrong, there should be some kind of social safety net. These people want far more than that.

elvesrus

Oct 6th 2011, 20:02:26

Right now I'd just settle for a doctor that actually has an interest in trying to find out whats wrong with me.

Cougar Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 20:28:43

Right Klown, they want to make sure that the budget deficit is not closed solely on the backs of social programs that help the majority, while the top 1% has 80 year low tax rates and shills in the media to complain they pay too much.

I mean, the AUDACITY!

Oct 6th 2011, 21:52:27

yah, the big bad bully rich man beat ya up and took all your lunch money.

hmm, maybe the parents finally got tired of the adult adolescents sitting around playing video games while smoking pot, and kicked them out of the house.

Cougar Game profile

Oct 6th 2011, 22:25:55

Actually, you aren't too far off the mark with the first part Dibs.

Would it be fair to say that wealth in America the last 30 years has shied away from the promised "trickle down", and tended more for the "gusher up"?

Cry me a river for the poor, maligned rich man. Never had it so good, and getting those that are being exploited to argue for more exploitation.

Oct 6th 2011, 23:24:09

probably something to do with those 30% interest rates on the credit cards, eh?

btw, i'm still mad that people are exploiting alcohol and tobacco taxes out of me. quit trying to boss me around.

anoniem Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 0:38:16

why would you agree to a 30% interest rate credit card and then whine when you get charged 30%?

give me a break.
re(ally)tired

Oct 7th 2011, 0:46:26

the accounts were purchased by Citi Group and they changed the agreement when i wasn't looking.

anoniem Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 10:15:13

i didn't know that. sorry.
re(ally)tired

Oct 7th 2011, 10:22:31

it's no biggie. i paid the accounts in full, then told them to hit the road. i probably waste more money just by paying taxes.

Oceana Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 12:47:58

Yes maybe we can all do it the wall street way for salaries we should have all jobs filled by we arbiytaye for our salaries and of course we first pick who will it arbitrate for us and its ok that 2 months later I'll return the favor by arbitrating for his salary.
Remember the Owners or stock holders don't matter as they are irrelevantpoor shmucks who just support the finanacing, and if we make them lose all their savings its ok too cause we arbitrated a massive severance package for when the owners get tired of us being completely incompetent IDIOTS

Dragonlance Game profile

Oct 7th 2011, 12:55:00

The fact is the US has serious social issues that need addressing and whether you are right or wrong is irrelevant Klown, having that attitude will just make the problem worse regardless.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 7th 2011, 14:13:46

The credit card thing I don't get. It's a *penalty* for late payments. You are meant to pay your bill on time by the date. However rather than send a collection agency after you if you don't pay your full bill on time they settle on a small percent and charge you a PENALTY on the rest. If you want a loan, goto the bank. Lines of credit give much much lower rates and for small amounts are pretty easy to get (provided you have a job). Otherwise you are simply asking for a loan without providing any real security or information.

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Oct 7th 2011, 22:41:07

i don't care about the silly financial rules that they made up out of thin air or yanked out of their wahzoo. they charged too much for loaning me money. they can go bankrupt for all i care. i ran out of reasons to borrow money.
i don't have a job. i have a tiny business.

ocmatrix Game profile

Oct 8th 2011, 2:16:22

Originally posted by archaic:
If they would quit majoring in Art History and Sustainable Gender Studies, they might be able to get a job that would pay their debt when they graduate.

So, my degree in Underwater Basket Weaving is useless?

Oct 8th 2011, 16:24:14

anybody remember that bar room joke about the rich man and the poor men paying the bar tab? think dolphin posted it. it kinda put things into perspective about just exactly who was paying for what.

Klown Game profile

Oct 8th 2011, 23:27:37

NOW3P Game profile

Oct 8th 2011, 23:53:06

"The 99%" and Occupy Wall Street would be much more impressive to me if they actually offered achievable alternatives instead of just complaining about the current situation.

Oceana Game profile

Oct 9th 2011, 12:13:26

Is there anyone offering up Achievable alternatives?
All the Politicians are offering are more fictional BS that willn't come close to helping the economy, nor actually doing much to slice the budget problems.
I would love to hear a Politician actually have a idea that could truthfully achieve what they claim it would and be of any hint of expectation that they could get it to pass if they would even actually attempt to pass it.

The only thing good so far running on the Pub side is that they have a different name the Bullfluffer thats in office now, The only reason I don't feel terrible offeded by him is atleast I wasn't gullable enough to believe any of his BS and voted for the other guy. Not that I really ever concider voting for anyone in his party anyway.

farmer Game profile

Oct 9th 2011, 17:57:52

Be careful what you wish for!

Speaker Game profile

Oct 9th 2011, 17:59:48

Interesting, +bonus post

Xliest Game profile

Oct 10th 2011, 4:57:03

Lol laboir class crisis ftw

tenshim0 Game profile

Oct 10th 2011, 5:22:10

bonus ftw
Your forces invaded tiekoon (#447)!
They broke through the defender's defences!
They took:
30,503 Acres(31,175 Gained)
1395 Buildings(672 Destroyed)

Im MrB

macmd Game profile

Oct 10th 2011, 5:32:07

Completely agree, NOW3P

Revolutions are easy. Its governing that's hard. Its easy to be angry. Its much harder to have a better way.

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Oct 10th 2011, 12:51:18

I want to be able to be part of the 1% how am going to do that if you get rid of them?
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

TAN Game profile

Oct 10th 2011, 15:46:23

The 99% movement, from the admittedly little I've read of them, seem incoherent. Yes, they have demands -- particularly fiscal ones -- that are wildly popular, but their name is such a ridiculous exaggeration. If all 99% that this movement supposedly represents felt the way they do, then they'd have elected someone like Ralph Nader a long time ago.

/post for 1 week bonus
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Oceana Game profile

Oct 11th 2011, 10:16:51

Tan Thats just the Politics yes the reality in there argument is closer to 97%, though The politicians have such a good way of creating the split differently, so that most believe they are middle class, while at the same time we recognize the middle class has greatly shrunk over the years, after all its all just a frame of mind.

Another reality average wages inflation adjusted (so basically Purchasing Power) in this country have diminished @ 10% over the last 4 years so alot of people should be pissed more then what are showing up at those rallies.
I would say the Biggest Problem with them protests Vs. The Tea Party Movement 2 years back is Numbers, Like having a protest about conditions in the country and only a few hundred people show up... really Its not even worth the news wasting gas to go cover it, Sad movement even if they are trying to spread it to the other cities, Think you would find more people in line at a new business ready to start taking applications for 100 jobs then what are showing up to these protests.

trumper Game profile

Oct 11th 2011, 16:08:27

When I went by the protests last week at McPherson Square in Washington, D.C. I was called 'the man' and 'the 1%', nevermind my cheap suit. When I went by the same protestors Sunday on my bike they welcomed me and offered me food. I laugh at the notion that any of these people know what the hell they're protesting except the concept that someone is getting wealthy and they're not.

Reading that blog makes me wonder why a couple has a $2,000 a month mortgage? That would imply you're bringing home almost $6k a month post-tax beforehand or basically earning $125k+ a year as a married couple. Judging by the fact that she claimed to be just out of school and her husband can barely afford the 2k with 3 jobs, I doubt they bought what they could afford. And a 1903 house? Aye carumba.

TeckMing Game profile

Oct 11th 2011, 16:39:32

Sir Balin Game profile

Oct 12th 2011, 12:53:20

fox news reporter getting owned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGrp1xAhtR0

farmer Game profile

Oct 13th 2011, 1:51:50

$2,000 a month mortgage? wow if you get that loan on a business it is one thing, but a house? all a house does is consume and generates nothing.A house is to live in not an investment

Ant

Oct 13th 2011, 2:00:45

Originally posted by farmer:
but a house? all a house does is consume and generates nothing.A house is to live in not an investment

I have 1 house and 2 appartments, Best investment i ever made :)

Ant

Oct 13th 2011, 2:01:21

*investments

Oct 13th 2011, 8:16:10

Originally posted by farmer:
$2,000 a month mortgage? wow if you get that loan on a business it is one thing, but a house? all a house does is consume and generates nothing.A house is to live in not an investment

they probably bought it right before the bubble burst, thinking to sell it a year later at double the price.

Oct 13th 2011, 18:21:16

hehe. i fired up a computer so i could check out some of the links that i've been ignoring because they won't load on my PSP.

(Ramin Talaie - BLOOMBERG) “I did everything I was supposed to and I have nothing to show for it.”

I did everything wrong and have nothing to show for it. must be a pain in the butt to follow a career recipe that doesn't work. fire the union teachers who taught it to you, or better yet, make them take a pay cut and do the same job.

oops, meant to state it as "I did everything wrong and i'm still alive to talk about it". mwa hahahahaha

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Oct 13th 2011, 18:25:38
See Original Post

Drinks Game profile

Oct 14th 2011, 7:17:40

Man once you start looking into this. Its hard to stop and im not even american.

Its interesting
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

K_L Game profile

Oct 14th 2011, 7:42:48

Funny that slogan Make Jobs not War... War has boosted economy trough out the history. For example the Great Depression that ended to WW II.

ponderer Game profile

Oct 14th 2011, 9:36:52

Originally posted by K_L:
Funny that slogan Make Jobs not War... War has boosted economy trough out the history. For example the Great Depression that ended to WW II.

It hasn't helped the past decade.
m0m0rific

K_L Game profile

Oct 14th 2011, 9:38:27

We hasn't been any decent wars...