Verified:

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jul 22nd 2011, 7:22:43

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/...-abuse-of-men/?hpt=hp_bn2

Stopping wartime sexual abuse - of men
Editor's Note: Stewart M. Patrick is a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations (where he writes the blog The Internationalist) and Director of the Program on International Institutions and Global Governance. This post comes originally from the blog The Internationalist.

By Stewart M. Patrick

Today, I would like to draw your attention to a disturbing phenomenon ignored by the foreign policy community but all too common in global conflict zones: The pervasive sexual abuse of men in war.

Women, of course, bear the main brunt of wartime sexual violence—as they always have. Last December, my CFR colleague Mark Lagon hosted a sobering meeting with the eminent legal scholar and activist Catharine MacKinnon. Now the special gender adviser to the prosecutor at the International Criminal Court, Mackinnon in 2000 argued the path-breaking legal case Kadic vs. Karadzic — about mass Serbian rape of Bosnian women — which for the first time established mass rape as an act of genocide.

Over the past two decades, international attention to rape as a weapon of war has been growing. Documentary filmmakers have often been in the forefront.

In 2006 Lisa F. Jackson traveled to DRC to interview thousands of rape victims, and their perpetrators. Her resulting film, The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo, won the Special Jury Prize at Sundance in 2008 and subsequently inspired a UN resolution condemning rape as a weapon of war. Several of my CFR colleagues — including Laurie Garrett, Isobel Coleman, and Matthew Waxman — have spoken and written eloquently on the scope of such atrocities and the need to hold perpetrators accountable.

At the same time, as the Guardian reported on Sunday, the United Nations (UN) and international nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) “barely acknowledge” the pervasive sexual violence against men that occurs in modern war.

The article documents the terrible suffering of a Congolese refugee who was captured by rebels and raped multiple times per day, and watched countless other men be similarly brutalized. 22% of men in Eastern Congo reported being victims of sexual violence, compared to 30% of women. One victim reported the crime to police, and was laughed at. A doctor in whom he confided merely gave him Panadol (a local equivalent of Tylenol). He described:

“Everybody has heard the women’s stories. But nobody has heard the men’s.”

The violence, and the disregard, is global. 80% of Bosnian males imprisoned in concentration camps and 76% of El Salvadoran male political prisoners report sexual abuse. Yet, of roughly 4,000 NGOs addressing wartime sexual violence, only 3% mentioned male victims (and usually only in passing).

LOL, wtf? um, get rid of war so we don't have to worry about the sexual abuse that occurs during it. dowt!
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Detmer Game profile

Jul 22nd 2011, 17:03:32

And this is why you can't allow gays in the military... it would make men rape other men even more...

legion Game profile

Jul 22nd 2011, 23:09:50

Originally posted by Detmer:
And this is why you can't allow gays in the military... it would make men rape other men even more...

Agreed
Nobody puts baby in a corner

Jul 23rd 2011, 0:13:28

why do you think gays would rape your sorry ass? they're technically just looking for intimacy with people who have the same types of feelings.

are you going to rape a woman simply to get your rocks off?

Detmer Game profile

Jul 23rd 2011, 2:00:19

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
why do you think gays would rape your sorry ass? they're technically just looking for intimacy with people who have the same types of feelings.

are you going to rape a woman simply to get your rocks off?

Can't rape me cause I consent.

And it's called sarcasm.

I think you just got trolled.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 23rd 2011, 15:52:29

yes, this was always the REAL meaning of the "don't ask" part of "don't ask, don't tell"

but this issue shouldn't be broken down by gender -- the rape of anyone is obviously horrible and the structural issues in the world allow it to happen should be addressed.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 23rd 2011, 19:50:00

This is ludicrous in the extreme. The only way I could be "raped" would be over my dead body. Period. They'd have to kill me to do it. Or, I would kill them in the attempt.

THe reason men get raped is those men are COWARDS and fluffES.

Simple enough, really

Cerberus of the MI
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 23rd 2011, 20:34:55

I thought this was gonna be a thread about Wartime running around giving people rufies and having his way with them.

I'm quite disappointed....

Jul 23rd 2011, 22:00:08

well, if there's something that you'd like to share, feel free. i wasn't aware that Wartime was running around giving people rufies until you mentioned it. i'm a have to get a better firewall.

Jul 23rd 2011, 22:02:54

Originally posted by Cerberus:
This is ludicrous in the extreme. The only way I could be "raped" would be over my dead body. Period. They'd have to kill me to do it. Or, I would kill them in the attempt.

THe reason men get raped is those men are COWARDS and fluffES.

Simple enough, really

Cerberus of the MI

eh? they just have to get you drunk enough. they don't have to rape your dead body. or they could just wait for you to go to sleep.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 24th 2011, 8:27:28

I don't drink, and I sleep very lightly.

Cerberus of the MI

Detmer Game profile

Jul 24th 2011, 15:15:41

Cerberus, you may be effectively unrapable 1v1, but if four guys hold your arms and legs while the other goes to town, I don't see you as being able to do a whole lot.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 24th 2011, 17:41:01

They'd have to find a way to subdue me to the point where they can get me into such a position, not so easy then.

Cerberus of the MI

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 24th 2011, 17:41:39

Or I could just sit on him....

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 25th 2011, 7:21:04

So, what are you saying NOW3P, that you're incredibly FAT? You'd have to be able to catch me first, then. LOL

Cerberus of the MI

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 26th 2011, 5:05:04

Not really fat...well, a little. I'm 6'3", 230 lbs, and I have that typical Irish (brick fluff house) build.

Admittedly, sprinting is not my strong point, but I'm sure Detmer could slow ya down enough for me to catch up.

Of course, I'm easily distracted by shiny objects, so if you dropped any change in the chase it'd be all over anyways.

trumper Game profile

Jul 26th 2011, 18:19:51

Originally posted by Cerberus:
So, what are you saying NOW3P, that you're incredibly FAT? You'd have to be able to catch me first, then. LOL

Cerberus of the MI

Prison rape happens.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 26th 2011, 22:02:52

You'd have to be in prison first, Trumper. I don't envision myself in prison any time soon.

Well, how do you figure you're gonna hold me down, then NOW3P? You're not that much larger than I am, and I'm trained in CQD.

I'm 6'1" and 215.

Cerberus of the MI