Jul 11th 2011, 18:33:22

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Rufus Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 18:50:08

Isn't an AC primarily supposed to reduce the humidity, rather than ambient temperature? That contraption will probably make you feel worse than without it. And you'll probably get a cold as well, assuming you sit close enough to it to notice a significant temperature drop.
I am John Galt.

archaic Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 19:01:04

From a thermodynamic standpoint its not really any different from a regular AC, except that you are using the condensing coils of your freezer instead of an air conditioner. Its not as efficient because the air is only on contact with a small amount of ice at any one time - plus, even with its crazy high specific heat of water, this thing is really just an ice-melting machine.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 11th 2011, 19:17:49

Does your AC run on AC?

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jul 11th 2011, 19:26:09

yes.. but a normal AC is at least 10X the cost:P

and AC units don't always act as dehumidifiers.

@archaic: not if you buy the ice. Obviously it's not going to be as efficient but is probably somewhat effective. Better than spending over $200 on an AC unit to cool a small room.
Since you brought up thermodynamics: yes, you are melting ice which absorbs energy (hence cooling the air) as well as transferring heat:P The point of this isn't to say that this is more energy efficient. The point of this is that one can assemble something to cool the air in a small room, at least partly, for a period of time without needing to spend a lot of money. Obviously it's not going to be better than a commercial AC unit (or a fridge) :P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Rufus Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 19:37:39

I am John Galt.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 11th 2011, 20:31:46

Living in a relatively dry climate, this'd probably be fine; AC's here effectively add humidity... according to Rufus's link that's due to recirculation of air somehow... heh
Finally did the signature thing.

Xtreme Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 22:07:13

AC or DC?

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 13th 2011, 21:01:27

I would think that it would just work better if you used the fan directly and abandoned all the loading of the ice, etc. You are using energy to make the ice in the first place, thus, you are not saving any energy at all, and in fact are using more since your melting the ice with the fan. Perhaps just having the fan blow directly on you using the natural evaporation of your sweat would result in better cooling for you, rather than trying to cool a room with the contraption.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Junky Game profile

Jul 13th 2011, 21:16:34

for 19.99 he coulda bought a osculating stand up fan that has a larger blade to keep the room cooler...
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Trife Game profile

Jul 13th 2011, 21:31:15

STRIP NAKED. PROBLEM SOLVED.

ta-da!

Ruthie

Jul 13th 2011, 22:24:49

ACDC?

hells bells!!
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

Neurotic Outsider Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 0:34:33

Hells Bells, Thunderstruck, Highway To Hell, Shoot To Thrill, The Jack, It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock N' Roll) and Who Made Who are all overplayed.

Gimme something like The Razor's Edge, What's Next To The Moon, Spellbound, For Those About To Rock, Gone Shootin', Whiskey On The Rocks, Burnin' Alive, The Furor (not to be confused with 'Fuhrer'), Hail Caesar, Ballbreaker, Two's Up, Live Wire, Prowler, Walk All Over You, That's The Way I Wanna Rock N' Roll, Some Sin For Nuthin', Kissin' Dynamite, This Means War...

And if you don't recognize some of these songs, that's because you aren't a true AC/DC fan. :)
Legendary since August 1999.

AIM: Slash of SOTA
MSN:

You want to antagonize me, antagonize me motherfluffer! Get in the ring, motherfluffer and I’ll kick your fluffy little ass! PUNK! — W. Axl Rose.

Ruthie

Jul 14th 2011, 0:45:40

sorry, didnt quite put that much time into thinkin about it lol

~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

ponderer Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 1:42:20

AC units inherently act as dehumidifiers unless the air moisture content is below to maximum the air can handle in contact with the coils (which is rare unless you live in a desert). They don't specifically drop the relative humidity of the air, but the drop in the moisture content in terms of water molecules to air ratio, and then the reheating of the air after it leaves the unit has the generally effect of reducing the relative humidity (which is the water being carried by the air divided by the total water carrying capacity of the air at the temperature and atmospheric pressure of an area, and also how we experience humidity - what feels humid at room temperature feels almost dry at 35 celcius).

In regards to the makeshift AC, you're taking advantage of a double phase change - ice to water, and then water to water vapor (your window AC typically relies on one phase change - liquid to vapor). However, since you are cooling by creating by using heat to warm and cause phase change in water/ice, and pumping the water vapor laden air back out into your environment you are introducing more moisture, and raising the relative humidity, which in turn lowers the temp you need to cool to to achieve comfort, so it isn't more efficient. Also, you are not getting as much air flow across through the cooler as you would with an AC, so while you are cooling some air, you aren't cooling enough to make a dent in a decent sized room.

Separating the air circulating in the room from the water vapor would create a more efficient system, especially by using a system of small pipes that the air is blown across, but we've just described half of an air conditioner.

The use of evaporation of water to cool air is an old and effective technique in dry climates, where the relative humidity can go up a long way before the effect becomes noticeable, but in the eastern half of North America, our heat comes with humidity, so systems that cool by evaporating water directly into the environment (like this cooler and our bodies) are less effective at increasing comfort.

Since evaporation consumes almost 10x the heat of melting, you're better skipping the cooler, small piece of pipe, and ice in favor of cold tap water, and spending more money on a larger fan, set in a window, so you are getting constant air changes - therefore lowering the amount, or even removing entirely the water vapor you are introducing into the air (I recommend setting the fan to blow out through a window, blanking off the the rest of the window around the fan with blankets and/or duct tape, and opening another window across the space 6-8 inches). Apply the water directly to your person, and stay in the air flow of the fan, which will speed the evaporation of the water, and in turn remove the heat from your person.

Edited By: ponderer on Jul 14th 2011, 10:39:32
See Original Post
m0m0rific

Dragonlance Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 1:54:42

go sit in a swimming pool with a beer and fire up the BBQ whilst pumpin some ACDC across the yard.

embrace the heat !

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 14th 2011, 4:48:10

Sn excellent explanation of the principles by Ponderer, and you always wanted to know why he was called ponderer, well, now you know. He ponders the unfathomable mysteries of the universe daily.

Cerberus of the MI
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Jul 14th 2011, 4:53:43

Originally posted by Neurotic Outsider:
Hells Bells, Thunderstruck, Highway To Hell, Shoot To Thrill, The Jack, It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock N' Roll) and Who Made Who are all overplayed.

Gimme something like The Razor's Edge, What's Next To The Moon, Spellbound, For Those About To Rock, Gone Shootin', Whiskey On The Rocks, Burnin' Alive, The Furor (not to be confused with 'Fuhrer'), Hail Caesar, Ballbreaker, Two's Up, Live Wire, Prowler, Walk All Over You, That's The Way I Wanna Rock N' Roll, Some Sin For Nuthin', Kissin' Dynamite, This Means War...

And if you don't recognize some of these songs, that's because you aren't a true AC/DC fan. :)

a list of ac/dc songs, neglecting to include "big balls". i am disappoint.

ZDH Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 5:01:13

It's on average i'd say been about 104 degrees farenheit here. The ice would be gone in 10 mins :-p
-BigZ

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 6:02:06

I'm making this for my garage sale this weekend! It's supposed to hit 100 this weekend, so it'll be a life saver!

ZDH Game profile

Jul 14th 2011, 6:43:55

lol
-BigZ

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 14th 2011, 7:47:51

Best method is simply to store all your snow in one big pile for use in the summer.

http://www.cisnfm.com/...sts/Story.aspx?id=1455425

It still hasn't melted yet...
Finally did the signature thing.