Verified:

dagga Game profile

Jun 19th 2011, 11:49:22

It makes sense that as in individual servers players can choose to Declare War on other countries, so it should be on a tag level in the Alliance server.

The benefits are many.

1. Formalising ingame war declarations makes it easy to introduce improvements to the war dynamic without affecting the netgaining side of the server.

2. It is a starting point that must be made in order to advance and improve the war aspect of the game which has descended into the sphere of meaningless wars that have no real outcomes.

3. It gives ingame validation to war. Advantages and disadvantages can be given out to alliances 'at war' to improve and enhance gameplay. Most importantly, to BALANCE gameplay.

This will not be a project that needs to be coded all at once, but implemented in stages. The great advantage of it, is that it can be phased in in stages. This should lower and spread the amount of work needed to get this system up and running.
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

dagga Game profile

Jun 19th 2011, 11:57:20

Formalised War Decs - Phase 1
-----------------------------

1. In order for Country A in Alliance Server to perform more than X (0 to 5?) specialty attacks on Country B, Country A's tag must be at war with Country B's tag, or has declared war on that country via the Attack Screen.

2. To enable special attacks, alliances may declare war using one of two methods:
-- Challenge: An alliance may challenge any other alliance(s) to a war. The opposing alliance(s) have 48 hours to respond. No restrictions are made on either alliance. If the response is 'No' then no war is started.
-- Instant: If an alliance declares instant war on an opposing tag(s) any country in that aggressor tag will forfeit their stored turns in exchange for the element of surprise. Call it a 'war preparation' tax.

And that is ALL you have to do to get the ball rolling. After that can come war statistics, rankings, restriction on hitting tags at war, ingame methods to determine the 'winner' of a war by original countries killed or networth etc.. All that can wait and be built upon. It can only be advanced by taking the next logical step in a server that is fought on a tag level - and that is to make sure that when you declare war it is not on AT but actually shows up ingame.
signatures are stupid.

Erian Game profile

Jun 19th 2011, 15:38:21

I support something like this. However, I think there should be a third declaration option, or "challenge" could be a bit harsher. I.e. I'd like to see a hostile option that gave 48h notice, and "no" is not an option.

I think all of these declarations should be logged publicly somewhere for the players to see, not just involved parties.

dagga Game profile

Jun 20th 2011, 1:25:16

Yeah that works too. In order for you to keep your stored turns you can issue a challenge that will become active after 48 hours.
signatures are stupid.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jun 21st 2011, 0:00:08

This was one of my goals for after better forum-game integration

the details on how to make it good weren't worked out though

/me reads these...

I kindof *like* the fact that storing turns is hard to achieve without somebody noticing... but yea...
Finally did the signature thing.

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 21st 2011, 14:43:31

I think there's a lot of room to work with here.

Add in, the idea of the java script, and I think we'll have a better war system.
Z is #1

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 21st 2011, 14:52:28

What about untagged countries?
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

dagga Game profile

Jun 22nd 2011, 0:52:41

What about them nukevil? They don't have any bearing on this at all.
signatures are stupid.

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Jun 22nd 2011, 1:23:48

I am Vic Rattlehead, and I approve this message.
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 22nd 2011, 14:11:16

Well, I would HATE for alliances whose members leave their tags, go untagged, FS another alliance, then hop back into their tag, wait a day for their stored turns to become available, go untagged AGAIN, do more hits on victim alliance, jump back into their tag AGAIN, etc, etc, etc...

And yet, untaggeds absolutely need the ability to do special attacks at any time, because they may not have the ability to retal the way established alliances think they need to retal.

So how do we get around the potential for abuse? Have a time limit (say, 24 hours) between changing tags?
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

NukEvil Game profile

Jun 22nd 2011, 14:29:49

I like the overall idea, though. Just that some questions need to be answered.

1. Time limit between changing tags: 24 hours?

2. Minimum number of countries in tags for them to be able to use the alliance dec war option: 5 members?

3. Can one alliance dec war on multiple alliances?

4. Can multiple alliances dec war on one alliance?

5. The "challenge" option: does it go onto a public news feed when the challenge is issued, when the challenge is answered, or only when the challenge is answered "YES"?

6. The "challenge" option:

A. Challenge Mode 1: Alliance(s) responding to the challenge has an option of saying "YES" or "NO" within 48 hours. If challenge is not answered within the 48 hours, alliance(s) issuing the challenge has the option of decing war anyways (lose all stored turns) or not warring at all.

B. Challenge Mode 2: Alliance(s) responding to the challenge has the option to accept the challenge ("YES") anytime within 24 hours. There is no "NO" option. Once alliance accepts the challenge, alliance(s) issuing challenge lose half their stored turns. If challenge is not answered, then alliances are automatically at war, with no stored turns lost for either side.

7. Do we have a minimum time from the time war is started to the time one or both alliances can declare peace? There can be another round of questions for how alliances can declare peace, but I'm out of time for now.

ZIP Game profile

Jun 22nd 2011, 15:13:35

Originally posted by NukEvil:
Well, I would HATE for alliances whose members leave their tags, go untagged, FS another alliance, then hop back into their tag, wait a day for their stored turns to become available, go untagged AGAIN, do more hits on victim alliance, jump back into their tag AGAIN, etc, etc, etc...

And yet, untaggeds absolutely need the ability to do special attacks at any time, because they may not have the ability to retal the way established alliances think they need to retal.

So how do we get around the potential for abuse? Have a time limit (say, 24 hours) between changing tags?

tags are responsible for a detag for 48 hrs - kill the tag that harbors a suicider
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

dagga Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 5:37:34

- Sure, just make it like vacation. Tag hopping rarely happens anyway and doesnt really contribute to the game. Make it 48 hours - shouldnt matter.

2. Minimum number of countries in tags for them to be able to use the alliance dec war option: 5 members?

- Not really a big deal but it would make the 'lone warrior' suicider pretty obselete. At least they would then have to find a few mates to really tee off on an alliance. But if you get five together, it's probably a legitimate dec of war. The special attacks option for an untagged is the same as any player in an alliance - you can only do more than 5 special attacks on a country you have declared war on (either country-to-country or alliance-to-alliance)

3. Can one alliance dec war on multiple alliances?

- Of course.

4. Can multiple alliances dec war on one alliance?

- Of course.

5. The "challenge" option: does it go onto a public news feed when the challenge is issued, when the challenge is answered, or only when the challenge is answered "YES"?

- Should be in the "Alliance Relations" feed. And all of it should be seen. I want to know when LaF gets challenged and if they fluff out. :p

6. The "challenge" option:

A. Challenge Mode 1: Alliance(s) responding to the challenge has an option of saying "YES" or "NO" within 48 hours. If challenge is not answered within the 48 hours, alliance(s) issuing the challenge has the option of decing war anyways (lose all stored turns) or not warring at all.

- Correct. Call it "Passive Challenge" option. If the challenge falls through, the other option is always available to use "Immediate Declare" but comes at a cost of losing all of your stored turns in "war preparation".

B. Challenge Mode 2: Alliance(s) responding to the challenge has the option to accept the challenge ("YES") anytime within 24 hours. There is no "NO" option. Once alliance accepts the challenge, alliance(s) issuing challenge lose half their stored turns. If challenge is not answered, then alliances are automatically at war, with no stored turns lost for either side.

- A bit too close to "Immediate Declaration". A challenge is a challenge. It should be as fair as possible to both sides in terms of turns. If you take this "Aggressive Challenge" option there is no option to turn it down, but make it 48 hours to let the opposing side gather themselves. No alliance should lose turns in a Challenge mode. The challenged alliance will have a bit less time to stock turns but will have the advantage of accepting the Challenge at any time in that 48 hr period to get a first strike in at their time of choosing. I like this challenge mode by far the best. It introduces a lot of strategy in when to accept a challenge - wait the full 48 hours for turns or strike straight away and catch them slightly off guard.

7. Do we have a minimum time from the time war is started to the time one or both alliances can declare peace? There can be another round of questions for how alliances can declare peace, but I'm out of time for now.

- Peace can be declared when; one week passes or after one side has no remaining original countries. A 'surrender' option should be available to tag admins when one of these criteria is met. Once an alliance surrenders, the winning alliance should get points towards a war ranking.
signatures are stupid.

dagga Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 5:39:05

As I p[osted this I had a better thought/answer to:

- Why not make it like changing government? You get one free hit a reset, then you start losing 15/16/17% of your military/buildings/CS each time you tag hop.
signatures are stupid.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 26th 2011, 22:09:03

It would also allow the option of providing a message to a player about to attack a country in a clan at war with notification that that clan is at war and ask if they wish to proceed with the attack anyway.

This would "formalize" the wardnh aspect that warring alliances so like.

Cerberus of the MI
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

dagga Game profile

Jul 5th 2011, 3:33:24

ttt
signatures are stupid.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 5th 2011, 3:45:22

since you're ttt'ing old issues, but our underlying reasons for not implementing them haven't changed yet, I'll add something new to the discussion:

the new ingame system to share ops between clans on different hosting sites is a step in the direction of formalizing alliance relations.

but this system is still the kind of thing that is a "want" requirement that falls below many "need" requirements. bring this up again later when I'm crafting the stuff for our user-centered research (likely toward the end of summer)
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

HeadHunter Game profile

Jul 6th 2011, 13:18:14

This is great stuff, I hope it can be implemented in the game later on.
Error 354 - Signature too awesome

ZIP Game profile

Jul 6th 2011, 21:01:46

for now just make a formal announcement to dec war- if you have the balls
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops