Verified:

xman Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 3:32:55

The no dropping acres that your grabbed within 72 hours rule.

It's really a pain when you're at war and cant drop land to raise your SDI.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 3rd 2011, 4:56:02

don't grab if you're at war
Finally did the signature thing.

xman Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 6:42:41

yeah that's a viable solution to a pointless rule.

Scorba Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 6:45:58

I do wish it would at least be dropped to only 24h. 72h is far too much and this rule is one of the things I've always hated and tried to get compromises made for from the start.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 3rd 2011, 19:11:49

i'd be open to dropping it to 48; it necessarily has to be longer tahn DR though, so beyond that we'd have to adjust DR...

Scorba Game profile

May 3rd 2011, 23:59:26

I'd still like you guys to consider some sort of tag war system as well so that could be eliminated for tags at war, then leave it high for the suicider prevention.

It really is something a limit I hate running into as a restart in war though.

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

May 4th 2011, 5:31:36

so you have 2 suiciders tag up and "declare war" on each other, and then they can drop land to their hearts content?

Scorba Game profile

May 7th 2011, 7:48:18

There's plenty of tag options that could be implemented to limit that effect such as not allowing dropping land until X hours after a tag was at war. That would keep the defense for suiciding while no longer hindering warring restarts wanting to grab land.

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

May 7th 2011, 19:18:28

so 2 suiciders tag up and declare war at 100 turns in. x hours later they suicide.
really not a solution.

Scorba Game profile

May 7th 2011, 20:26:37

Someone will always find a way to suicide if they really want to. At least this would give most people protection and the choice of dropping.

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

May 8th 2011, 16:03:10

i'm not a huge fan of the idea of officially declaring war ingame either.
and honestly, i don't think it would give anybody protection at all. this idea is too incredibly easy to get around. suiciding is not a problem that can be fixed with technical solutions, it's a psychological/ideological issue. the technical "fixes" won't be anything more than a speedbump unless you either completely cripple the game by putting in too many preventative measures, or somehow change the suiciders minds.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

May 8th 2011, 21:08:02

Originally posted by xman:
The no dropping acres that your grabbed within 72 hours rule.

It's really a pain when you're at war and cant drop land to raise your SDI.

get them killed after you grab their land and you won't need any SDI. how you survive in a war, if you don't have sufficient cash on hand to be able to restock the measly amounts of GDI that you lose from missiles hits anyway?
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

May 8th 2011, 21:12:22

dang, i did, i did post it as GDI... wtf? woe is me...

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

May 8th 2011, 23:50:30

*points at edit post icon*

May 9th 2011, 0:25:49

totally lacked the proper Looney Tune attitude to express my distraughtedness...

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 9th 2011, 3:39:00

Dibs has measly amounts of GDI

xman Game profile

May 10th 2011, 0:28:17

ASk LCN/ICN/Imag how someone survives.

BobbyATA Game profile

May 10th 2011, 21:18:36

an possible compromise/solution here might be to always allow a country to drop some number of acres (say in the 2-4k range) every 48 hours regardless of initial size?

Scorba Game profile

May 12th 2011, 7:44:53

I would love to find a compromise to work for more people. I was thinking the clan war system would fit that need the best and add some more variety to the game. I'm certainly open to other options people can think of.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 12th 2011, 9:52:57

too convoluted of a solution for a fringe use case.

if you're grabbing during war, that's part of the risk you take in doing so :p

-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

diez Game profile

May 12th 2011, 13:51:57

how many acres do you grab during a war anyway =_=

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

May 12th 2011, 14:12:59

Another Issue: Landkilling a little country is almost no longer possible. You out grow the target and cannt drop the land to get back into NW range.

Another Issue: OMG my clan just got FSed, but 1.5 days ago I was netting and trying to get as much land as possible. Dang it, i cannt buy enough tech to max anything, I wish i could drop <b>my land</b> to further protect myself and max those techs so that im not an easy missile target and have higher weapons tech!

LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 12th 2011, 15:31:18

sorry, but that's not a good example of a reason to change land dropping rules.

why don't you guys just look to play within the confines of the systems that are in place rather than complaining about every little nuance you don't like and acting like we're nerfing war whenever we touch anything

wait until qz, slag and I are able to completely revamp the war system and this will all be a moot discussion regardless

i'd rather move fighting in a completely new direction than keep trying to carve out bits and pieces to make certain types of hitting/killing work a certain way to placate different folks.
this isn't 1998 anymore!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Rockman Game profile

May 12th 2011, 15:43:44

Originally posted by LittleItaly:
Another Issue: Landkilling a little country is almost no longer possible. You out grow the target and cannt drop the land to get back into NW range.

Another Issue: OMG my clan just got FSed, but 1.5 days ago I was netting and trying to get as much land as possible. Dang it, i cannt buy enough tech to max anything, I wish i could drop <b>my land</b> to further protect myself and max those techs so that im not an easy missile target and have higher weapons tech!

So in the 72 hours before war started, how much land did you grab? 4k acres maybe? If so, then make sure that you have the ability to max tech on 4k acres if you're going to grab 4k acres in 72 hours.

One thing this does, is that it makes grabbing & getting retalled a riskier growth method if you end up in war. It makes bottomfeeding a much safer growth strategy for someone who might end up in a war and is nub enough to be unable to max techs on a tiny portion of their land.

lincoln

May 12th 2011, 20:40:59

the 72 hour no drop land rule, the change in GDI, the draconian penalty against hitting up and ghost acres are the admins way of increasing bottomfeeding on express to an all time high

i feel a little guilty quintuple tapping guys one tenth my size but that is what the admins want, so i do it

i think these four rules in concert is part of why my consistent ally dantzig quit
what is the point in hitting guys one tenth your size over and over and over again?
how is that a military victory?
it is nothing but netting using jets instead of labs
FoG

Rockman Game profile

May 12th 2011, 20:47:54

Originally posted by lincoln:
the 72 hour no drop land rule, the change in GDI, the draconian penalty against hitting up and ghost acres are the admins way of increasing bottomfeeding on express to an all time high

i feel a little guilty quintuple tapping guys one tenth my size but that is what the admins want, so i do it

i think these four rules in concert is part of why my consistent ally dantzig quit
what is the point in hitting guys one tenth your size over and over and over again?
how is that a military victory?
it is nothing but netting using jets instead of labs

How the fluff do you connect the no land-dropping rule with encouraging bottomfeeding on express server?

Why do you think the moderators target all their changes specifically for the express server? Just because its your favorite server doesn't mean that everything the moderators do is targeted to that server, and its effects on other servers is just coincidental.

Can you please just say something stupid enough about the moderators to get yourself banned? Its really tiring seeing you try to hijack threads with your anti-moderators rant. If you hate the game this much, please just leave.

lincoln

May 12th 2011, 20:55:16

lol

rockman is just mad that he had to learn some of the rules from me
when previously he honestly thought he was better than me

i do not rant against the admins, i never insult them like some players do
i only compliment them and thank them for their efforts
i have thanked them far more often than rockman has
i just do not favor a few of the rule changes

it is not an insult to say some rules working in concert result in undesirable consequences
the law of unintended consequences is present here as in most complex systems
FoG

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

May 12th 2011, 21:23:40

jesus man, "the admins way of increasing bottomfeeding" "is what the admins want, so i do it" "what is the point in hitting guys one tenth of your size over and over again?"

doesn't sound like thanking/complimenting admins. sounds like you feel constrained to bottomfeeding and do it because you can't do anything else, and you blame the administrators for it.

lincoln

May 12th 2011, 23:42:14

the number of times i have thanked the admins for their efforts on the express forum and elsewhere is countless

i do not like their strong preference for bottomfeeing over topfeeding, that is not an insult to the admins, simply a difference of personal choice
FoG

Rockman Game profile

May 12th 2011, 23:59:11

the number of times i have thanked the admins for their efforts on the express forum and elsewhere is countless

i do not like their strong preference for bottomfeeing over topfeeding, that is not an insult to the admins, simply a difference of personal choice

If you weren't always on bottom, your views might change.

Please, don't hijack threads for your own personal whining about how the world is stacked against you.

Drinks Game profile

May 13th 2011, 2:59:21

Originally posted by Pang:
this isn't 1998 anymore!

Word on!

Love the forward thinking you and the other admin/mods have for this game
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

xaos Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 13th 2011, 19:19:27

Countless? You've made 934 posts. Let's just exaggerate and say that in every post, you compliment the devs twice, which is not the case. That'd be 1,868 times.

</troll>

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 25th 2011, 7:55:21

o.O

If you look at almost all of our changes with regard to LGing they've been either to DISCOURAGE bottomfeeding (massive ghost acres) or to PROTECT people at the bottom (making them lose less...)

how does "NOT ALLOWING PEOPLE TO DROP LAND WITHIN 72 HOURS"... ENGOURAGE BOTTOMFEEDING???? IN ANY WAY???

oh, i know, i think i need to drop 10kA so i can make this 20A grab 10 times in a row, netting me 200 Acres

right?

PS: Apologies for the rant, it's late and you're blowing my mind right now...

xman Game profile

May 27th 2011, 13:49:35

well within coming OOP I grabbed 10k acres, that's a legit strategy in war, but apparently it's 'a risk' now... good to know.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 27th 2011, 13:58:30

But if you don't drop the rule I can't top feed then drop the land!