Verified:

ZIP Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 12:59:16

Sony's recent announcement that it's 70 million strong PlayStation Network was hacked has left many consumers wondering what to do. According to a statement by Sony, subscribers to both its PlayStation Network and Qriocity music streaming service have had their name, physical address, email address, birthday, login name, and password stolen by an unknown hacker.

Sony also said it was possible that members' profile data, purchase history, security questions and answers, and credit card numbers and expiration dates may have also been taken in the breach.
What should you do?

If you've got an account on either the PlayStation Network or Qriocity services and have provided them with your credit card information, get a new card. While Sony says there is no evidence that credit card numbers were stolen, they can't rule it out as a possibility. While you're generally not liable for fraudulent charges made on your account, why put yourself through the hassle of checking statements and refuting bogus charges?

First inform your credit card company - or bank if you have a debit card - that your information may have been compromised. They'll be more than happy to send you a new card. (Keep in mind, however, that if your credit card is now being used to make automatic payments, you'll have to change your card information.)

Next, file a "fraud alert" with one of the three major credit bureaus, Experian, TransUnion, or Equifax. A fraud alert makes it harder for anyone (including you) to get credit in your name, so it's a great way to deal with ID theft either as a preventative measure or after it may have occurred.

With a fraud alert on file, lenders will take additional steps to verify that the person opening an account in your name is actually you. Typically, this means that you'll have to answer a few questions about where you've lived in the past, or what model car you owned in 1998; things that you'll know easily but an identity thief would have a hard time finding out.

The fraud alert is free, and lasts for 90 days. You can renew it at the end of those 90 days by filing another alert, so mark your calendars to keep from forgetting.
advertisement

Note: There are many services that promise to protect your credit for a fee. Typically, these services file a fraud alert on your behalf and automatically renew it after the 90 day period. Is that worth the money they charge? You'll have to decide for yourself. Check out our story 10 Tips for Free Identity Theft Prevention.

Next step: Change your password. If you use a unique password for the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, then you'll only have to change it on those two sites. But, if you're like most Americans and reuse the same password in multiple places, you'll want to change it everywhere. This can be annoying, but is important to protect your privacy and security online.

Finally, the FTC asks that you consider filing an official complaint. Complaints are included in a national database and can assist the FTC and law enforcement agencies in finding those responsible for stealing your information. Complaints can be easily filed online in about 5 minutes by visiting ftccomplaintassistant.gov.

For additional help, the FTC has set up an identity theft site that can provide you with more information, as well as links to your state's specific identity protection laws if available, at http://www.ftc.gov/idtheft.

More information on the breach can be found on Sony's Consumer Alert page, or by calling them directly at 1-800-345-7669

Edited By: qzjul on Apr 27th 2011, 18:54:02
See Original Post
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

braden Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 13:11:05

hm, i'm glad i have only ever used those playstation network cards to load money into it. i also don't recall giving them any terribly sensitive information. i doubt i gave them my true address, as they don't need know where i live, and my e-mail address is useless, but i want to be able to use the damn service again.

battlefield 1943 is far less fun when you can't connect to a server (it is only online play, which means I can't play)

ZIP Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 14:09:52

braden when / if / it comes on we have to have a private match - anyone else here want in ?
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

braden Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 14:18:10

we should. i'll lose, i die a lot and kill not so often, but i have a lot of fun with it :P

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 27th 2011, 18:54:15

there now i can read it... stupid fancy " ' and -
Finally did the signature thing.

ZIP Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 21:23:18

lol i made top rank and usually run 12- 20 kills a game /
oh i miss it...

Marshal Game profile

Apr 27th 2011, 21:26:31

its been down soon week.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

cyref Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 27th 2011, 23:28:28

👽

Evolution Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 5:22:39

I need to cancel my credit cards
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

braden Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 12:44:09

some of these games are useless without the playstation network. idiots, absolute tools. i have nineteen dollars on my ps wallet burning a hole through my pocket!

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 29th 2011, 18:27:12

Really does seem like Sony holds their customers in contempt.

ZIP Game profile

Apr 30th 2011, 10:43:05

well yesterday i read they are working on a "goodwill" offering for the inconvenience. also in a poll 1/5 ps users are thinking of switching to x360.
i would like to see $100 in my psn wallet

Evolution Game profile

May 1st 2011, 0:55:30

I would like to see them release 100% more games in Australian playstation network
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

NOW3P Game profile

May 1st 2011, 8:23:48

I was too lazy to read the article. Was that Anonymous' hack on Sony? They've been promising it for some time now...

ZIP Game profile

May 1st 2011, 14:04:41

no - they doped the charges like 2 weeks ago i read, someone new

Marshal Game profile

May 1st 2011, 19:53:53

sony will give some freebies and think ppls will be satisfied.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

May 1st 2011, 20:50:37

couldn't find the SDK so that i could develop junk for my PSP, so um, i don't care. tell them to release Bond on Zune if you happen to corespond with them during the legislation process...

Bond, James Bond. Licensed to Thrill...
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

May 1st 2011, 20:52:44

hmm, legislation is the process of making laws... fark it.

Iceman_NPC Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 23:18:32

I got an email a few days ago about this and I thought I had cancelled my Sony account. It stupid Id hope my information private information is safe with a company like Sony.

ZIP Game profile

May 15th 2011, 16:14:28

and still down... man this is hurting sony huge

CGiboney Game profile

May 15th 2011, 16:39:39

FTW

Unholy Monks

May 15th 2011, 17:52:56

i like the 360, but my Gold Account automatically renews itself in June, yet they felt the need to try to sucker me into buying a Gold Family membership, which costs $30 more than i need to pay. Jiminy Crickets!

braden Game profile

May 15th 2011, 18:40:51

i believe it;s back up, i haven't been home since i left for church, but i look forward to getting back online for bf43!

ZIP Game profile

May 15th 2011, 19:09:43

could it be- it went to a system update

lol braden now i know when to do a KR on you !! sunday church

braden Game profile

May 15th 2011, 19:37:58

if you thought the mehul factor was bad, just think of the fire and brimstone :P

monday nights during dancing with the stars is another good time to run it, and a little safer ;)

Junky Game profile

May 15th 2011, 20:56:49

ha... they musta hired him for the PS online stuff
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Marshal Game profile

May 15th 2011, 21:17:46

psn comes back bit by bit but not everywhere at same time.

braden Game profile

May 16th 2011, 3:13:26

we going to play bf1943 and you going to kick my ass, zip?

my id is.. b--_king.. anybody else, also, all of my real life friends have xbox, and i don't like them very much :P

Z Game profile

May 16th 2011, 3:19:36

hacked game machines, is nothing sacred anymore ?

Marshal Game profile

May 16th 2011, 20:40:15

not gamemachines, gaming network.