Verified:

Yheti Game profile

Apr 20th 2011, 23:09:10

1 - the captchas. They're really fluffty. The fact that they come from like 3 different servers sucks because with script blockers, it's complicated to get working (the first time I tried making my country I almost gave up trying this game again because allowing one of the servers made the captcha look like it was sort of working just really broken), also, when your DNS sucks or their servers are down you can't get past the captcha. I guess it sort of prevents bots but really, isn't IP info enough for that?
2 - the side menu. I don't understand why it isn't set up so you can actually scroll. Playing this game from a netbook sucks because I constantly have to have the window maximized, since there's a setting to view for mobiles why can't we also have a setting to have it the original way, with the frame on the side? (or for that matter, a smaller image map version?)

Reckless Game profile

Apr 20th 2011, 23:18:11

You had me at fluffty.

Yheti Game profile

Apr 20th 2011, 23:27:34

fluff for life huh?!?

Oh and PS not to sound like an ass either, I just thought I'd put my two cents in, everything else is amazing, even the added stuff like bonuses are pretty cool and it stays faithful to the original in playing which is nice. This is the first time I play since the test reset and I never remember captchas back then, also, I played on a larger screen so the menu wouldn't have been a problem then. I wonder if the captchas have been there all along? It wouldn't be so bad if they all came from the same server, either...

Angel1 Game profile

Apr 20th 2011, 23:32:38

Yheti sighting! Hiya old friend. How's life? PS, you rarely post, so this sighting is valid.
-Angel1

Reckless Game profile

Apr 20th 2011, 23:37:55

where you playing?

Yheti Game profile

Apr 20th 2011, 23:52:44

I'm well how are you?!?!??

OMEGA! In the last 5 or so years I've logged in there every now and then to see how things were, and I just got internet at my studio so I thought I'd try things out again!

How goes life? Any exciting things in the world of fluff? Does anyone ever make spamtags anymore? Are you allowed to nowadays?

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 20th 2011, 23:53:41

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the second point.

The side menu stays stationary when you scroll, similar to how it would if it were in a seperate frame.

Also note: Frames went out of fashion a long long time ago.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 21st 2011, 0:05:48

1) i've never heard this complaint; recaptcha is owned by google; do you have trouble signing up for Gmail ?

2) this... it's really nice not scrolling for those of us with real computers; i suppose we could make some CSS option that you could pick in preferences

try posting on B&S though :)
Finally did the signature thing.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 21st 2011, 0:07:08

isn't IP info enough for that?

negative =(

you missed the LaE thing heh

hanlong Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 0:24:58

yah i'm a big fan of google's recaptcha program

the idea of it is so genius
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

TheORKINMan Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 0:56:46

Yheti is alive? I thought for sure he'd have been crushed under stage lighting or something by now.
Smarter than your average bear.

CrazyMatt Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 1:13:28

HURRY UPP I HATE ZOOMING OUT TO SEE MY CLAN!

:) <3<3<3<3<3

Dooman Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 2:00:54

You still keeping my old icq # safe ? :P

grimjoww Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 11:05:06

yheti ... my first recruiter before lol...

braden Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 11:51:33

thtn yheti?
if so, awesome :P how goes it buddy?

IXNeo Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 12:01:01

angel1 is angelous?

Yheti-- o yeh teee..
IXNeo
Illuminati X
Division: EoS

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2011, 14:54:04

F U YHETI

Trife Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 15:21:59

JUDY GARLAND!

just pickin' :) good to see another old name pop up - hope you stay around

Helmet Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 16:50:19

Originally posted by qzjul:
isn't IP info enough for that?

negative =(

you missed the LaE thing heh

Never say those words on this forum! He who shall not be named will appear on this board and type the unreadable text.

Dark TwizTid

Patron

Apr 21st 2011, 21:23:12

Who is "He who shall not be named"?

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Apr 21st 2011, 21:24:39

shhhh we cannot say. DUH!

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Dark TwizTid

Patron

Apr 21st 2011, 21:28:21

charades anyone?

Ruthie

Apr 21st 2011, 22:00:22

I play on a "real" computer with an extra large wide screen monitor at work and #2 is extremely annoying, having to maximize my browser so that I can access everything on the left menu.

Is this a new change as I just noticed it the last two days or so.
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Apr 21st 2011, 22:09:41

"real computer"
Dammit Ruthie. You mean mine is not real? Stupid cardboard thing

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Ruthie

Apr 21st 2011, 22:39:16

lol ... well gzul brought up the "real computer" thing :P
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 21st 2011, 23:26:47

its Q not G heh

CaptainTenacious Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 23:33:17

hmmm, maybe you should try the g-zul thing for a while, makes you sound like you're from compton.
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.
Moderation being an imaginary place i go to when i drink.

Yheti Game profile

Apr 21st 2011, 23:39:34

h4x0r (and to all others wondering about the menu issue, here is a link to a screenshot): http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=624ea2d

When I put my browser in full screen mode it just *barely* fits lol, and I guess I've sort of gotten used to playing in full screen, but Linux has this weird issue in which when Firefox is in fullscreen I can't seem to have any windows (like a notepad or calculator) open, which also sucks! But I guess I'd have to complain to someone else about that bug! ;)

And yeah qzjul that's funny because the last time I tried to make a gmail account I remember running into problems with the captcha! I can't wait till the day that we use biometrics instead of stupid captchas, I know it's only like 5 seconds when I have to fill one out but ohhhh it bothers me so!

Haha Orkin... :D I haven't worked in the movie industry for someee time, been in Montreal testing video games lol.

Dooman ohhhh I haven't logged into ICQ for maybe 4 years now! I still remember the number though, 4498360, I hope it doesn't get deleted for inactivity! I haven't had any internet access at all in the last year, and this is the first time I pay for it in 2 years!

grimjoww I still think about my days as recruiter! ohhh good times!

Pretty solid braden, do you still use your email? Lol I totally forgot you had that, haha recently I put a bunch of stuff on the front page that some people might think is kinda weird. :D

Yo Neo IX still around huh?

I LOVE YOU ZEN!

Hey Trife haha yeah I'm surprised how many people that I know still play this game!

Boooo I want to know who he who shall not be named is!!!

And yeahhh Ruth we need support to fix that! :D Because to be honest it's a bigger issue, since it's 100% reproducible, whereas the captchas don't appear all the time (I'd say 10% reproducibility) so it isn't that big of an issue to fix. But yeah qzjul some sort of alternative would be great!

But yeah nice to see all the familiar faces it's the community that was always the best thing about Earth! ;)

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 22nd 2011, 3:35:03

also, you can merge your bookmarks toolbar into your FILE EDIT VIEW HISTORY etc bar... that would save you a whole 30px or so...

you should just not adblock reCaptcha.. everybody uses reCaptcha these days :)

Rolangunslinger Game profile

Apr 22nd 2011, 5:39:55

Originally posted by Yheti:
1 - the captchas. They're really fluffty. The fact that they come from like 3 different servers sucks because with script blockers, it's complicated to get working (the first time I tried making my country I almost gave up trying this game again because allowing one of the servers made the captcha look like it was sort of working just really broken), also, when your DNS sucks or their servers are down you can't get past the captcha. I guess it sort of prevents bots but really, isn't IP info enough for that?

I completely agree with this, captchas suck!

Reckless Game profile

Apr 22nd 2011, 5:48:37

WILL YOU BE PLAYIN NOW YHETI NOW THAT YOUR LOCAL ARE CONNECTION IS CONNECTED

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 22nd 2011, 6:35:39

what captcha?
I have not seen captcha in a very long time.

braden Game profile

Apr 22nd 2011, 12:40:26

i can't say i do use it, but it will always be my favourite e-mail provider. i barely use any e-mail at all these days considering this game doesn't send me activation codes for my countries ;)

hope you stick around, maybe even play a little. as reckless pointed out, your LOCAL ARE CONNECTION IS CONNECTED, so there is no reason not to!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 22nd 2011, 13:41:47

fluff u
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

bore Game profile

Patron

Apr 22nd 2011, 14:24:07

if there was a small screen option it would be nice to have a lot smaller header in addition to the sidebar scrolling with the page. (could just remove all the graphics in the header)

Dooman Game profile

Apr 22nd 2011, 17:05:07

[quote poster=braden; 9057; 157269]i can't say i do use it, but it will always be my favourite e-mail provider. i barely use any e-mail at all these days considering this game doesn't send me activation codes for my countrie[b]s[/b] ;)

hope you stick around, maybe even play a little. as reckless pointed out, your LOCAL ARE CONNECTION IS CONNECTED, so there is no reason not to! [/quote]

Ban him!

Trife Game profile

Apr 22nd 2011, 17:07:34

Originally posted by Reckless:
WILL YOU BE PLAYIN NOW YHETI NOW THAT YOUR LOCAL ARE CONNECTION IS CONNECTED

ARE MY LOCAL ARE CONNECTION CONNECTED TOO?

Yheti Game profile

Apr 22nd 2011, 17:15:27

YES MY LOCAL CONNECTION ARE CONNECTED WELL EH!

And braden lol, ohhhh those were the good days, *@ email addresses. :D I'll probably play for a while, not sure how long, it'll depend on how my productivity is effected!

But qzjul, I like my bookmarks toolbar! And yes also what Bore said, having the header be shorter would also be cool. But if the menu could scroll it would be fine as well.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 22nd 2011, 17:52:52

YHETI IS A BASTARD

I added an option to the preferences page which allows you to force the header/menu to scroll with the page, rather than remaining fixed.

It's right below the JS attacking options on the preferences page

That should help
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 22nd 2011, 18:21:23

=D

grimjoww Game profile

Apr 22nd 2011, 18:35:58

yep yheti it was you who interviewed me first for IX before...

-Grimjoww/vincey

Ruthie

Apr 22nd 2011, 20:04:21

its Q not G heh

lol, i knew that

i was typing in the dark :P
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 22nd 2011, 21:49:45

Originally posted by Ruthie:
its Q not G heh

lol, i knew that

i was typing in the dark :P

it's actually a backwards p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Yheti Game profile

Apr 23rd 2011, 0:00:57

Ahhh Vince! Man you don't know how long it took me to get the team LoL to be made, it was a longtime dream of mine to have a division named that in IX, haha.

And wooooooooo Pang thanks so much it works perfectly! Now Earth Empires is perfect! =D

BobbyATA Game profile

Apr 23rd 2011, 0:08:05

B&S dude

Alana Game profile

Apr 23rd 2011, 1:24:49

wow!
Welcome back :)
Alana
LCN Peon

Prac Game profile

Apr 23rd 2011, 2:35:40

i clicked the server details to find out how many turns i could store and it logged me in . WTH !!! no more 16 hours bonus =(

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 23rd 2011, 6:57:22

server details doesn't log you in, you must have missed :)

Hello Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 23rd 2011, 18:01:26

GoodPeace Game profile

Apr 25th 2011, 21:04:09

Yheti, I've been playing earth on a 10" netbook with firefox on ubuntu for a while now, and with some minor tweaks it works well.

Get the new firefox 4, it has the menu consolidated into a single "firefox" button, which can sit eg. next to your open tabs. Customize your other toolbar to have one or two buttons, your address bar (which doubles as your search bar) and your hyperlinks all together in one line - alas more browser area for your content.

To further enhance it, look up FF addon Stylish and search some of the boards in here (B&S i think) for threads on adjusting the styles to remove some of the clutter.

This is my screen while playing in non fullscreen mode:
http://img135.imageshack.us/f/earth1f.png/

If you use the F11 full screen in ubuntu, your other programs will still be there, you just have to use alt-tab to get to them. Alternatively you can add another desktop (shortcut could be ctrl+alt+left/right) and put your extra programs on that desktop.

This is my desktop playing in fullscreen - plenty of room for earth.
http://oi51.tinypic.com/2mmbakl.jpg
La Cosa Nostra