Verified:

Helmet Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 1:18:38

I have fios internet upstairs. I have run a network line downstairs to the tv, but I have an xbox and tivo. Right now I'm using an old router to basically split the single to the xbox and tivo. I think this is causing me issues because of the firewall or ip of the second router. I think what I need is a switch instead and that should solve my problem?

The xbox no longer connects to the PC upstairs ever since i did this setup.

livinindaghetto Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 16:53:56

There are a few options. What is likely happening is both routers are trying to run DHCP and it's conflicting back and forth. The two routers may also be trying to use the same IP address as well.

If you want to use the second router as a switch you can disable DHCP and then make the second router a different IP address on the same network as your primary router.

Another option is to plug your wire coming from the first router in to the WAN port on your second router. This will seperate your tivo and xbox on a different network, so that will likely cause a problem with media sharing if you have that setup on computers elsewhere.

Third option is the switch. Replacing the second router with a switch will get it all working without any configuring or anything, just plug and play :)

Helmet Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 18:38:36

That's what i wanted to hear. I already ordered the switch. Thanks!

jiff69 Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 19:28:15

hi
"I have no words that would do justice to the atrocities you commit to the English language, as well as your continued assaults on the concepts of basic literacy and logical reasoning."
-Tom Achronos

Helmet Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 19:56:03

hi lover

Evolution Game profile

Mar 7th 2011, 4:26:57

Originally posted by Helmet:
That's what i wanted to hear. I already ordered the switch. Thanks!

Yeah i'd recommend a switch, considering you can pick one up for 10 dollars. I had friends with the same problem where they were connecting everything through ancient routers. In the end I got it working, though I had to update the firmware and they had the ancient optus routers where if you wanted to network them you had to restart them in the correct order or they wouldn't accept new network connections... The problem was that the optus (ISP) tech support got outsourced to india, and they didn't know waht to do with the old hardware.

Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

Jacobus Game profile

Mar 8th 2011, 17:36:52

Does that router have more than one "internal" port? Then all ports besides the one supposed to go to the internet are, in fact, a switch, and plugging the line from upstairs in one of the "normal" ports should do the trick too... without knowing any device types or seeing pictures, this is all guesswork though.

Helmet Game profile

Mar 9th 2011, 21:25:48

I got a switch off newegg for $15. It's a 100mbs switch. I'm wondering now if I should have ponied up for a 1,000mbs? I have verizon fios and my dl/ul speeds are something like 24m/10m. I felt like I was running slower after I plugged it in.

Marshal Game profile

Mar 9th 2011, 21:40:21

you sure switch is set to run at 100mb?
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Helmet Game profile

Mar 10th 2011, 12:01:31

I just took it out of the box and plugged it in. Honestly. I have no idea. :P

Marshal Game profile

Mar 10th 2011, 20:26:28

read manual. :P

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Mar 10th 2011, 20:44:21

what's the max speed of the NIC on the xbox?
what's the max speed of the NIC on the tivo?
what's the max speed of the NIC on the PC?

meh, 24m down would still limit you to 24% usage on a 100m network...
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Marshal Game profile

Mar 10th 2011, 20:57:06

xbox and pc have most likely 1Gbit nic (if pc is newish).

Helmet Game profile

Mar 10th 2011, 20:59:05

You just saved me some money by asking those questions. :) The xbox 360 is 10/100 from what I could see on google.

Thanks!

Marshal Game profile

Mar 11th 2011, 21:17:22

oh its older xbox360.

Mar 11th 2011, 21:27:29

meh, don't know that they changed the Standard Ethernet port in the 360 S, it kinda sezs standard, so i'm thinking it's still 10/100m. has built-in N wireless though. i still don't think it matters if he's only getting 24m down. it might improve sharing from the PC, but, i pretty much stream xbox video on a 1m connection without many problems, so i don't know what the heck y'all are paying for...

Marshal Game profile

Mar 11th 2011, 21:40:49

no gb ethernet on xbox.

ps3 has it.

Mar 11th 2011, 21:47:53

i don't need a ps3 for it's gb connection because i can't get a reasonably priced gb connection from my internet service provider. don't even need it to play blu-ray discs. can it play Pinball FX2? oh, wait, i already have that on my 360... um, can it play Tron 2.0 Killer App for the original xbox? doesn't look like they'll emulate it on the 360...

Evolution Game profile

Mar 12th 2011, 0:39:50

For my home network, I ran a 20m network cable under the house, had to crawl then passed the cable up through the ventilation shaft. My internet works perfectly well

Price of proper network installation would have been about $300 to get someone to do it.

Price of running an epic cable: $10 plus pain and suffering.

It was weird all the insects and spiders were all white because there’s no light under there normally :O.
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

Mar 12th 2011, 17:27:52

should've mentioned that i can't stream HD video on the 360... SD seems to work fine though.

Marshal Game profile

Mar 12th 2011, 22:37:36

evolution: what cable?

Evolution Game profile

Mar 14th 2011, 4:28:16

Regular cat 5 :/ cat 6 would have been faster but then I would have had to worry about how I laid the cable out and avoiding twists.

Well the real reason was that Cat 6 cable cost 5-10 times as much at the time :X

zeroshade Game profile

Mar 14th 2011, 14:54:07

I Just stream HD video on my 360 through the Wireless N connection. Works perfectly.

Mar 14th 2011, 15:34:09

might benefit me after i've downloaded the video and put it on the computer to share, but my inet is capped at 1mbps. hmmm, i should write a letter to somebody to get the dang advertisers to pay for the bandwidth that they are stealing from me.

Manetheren Game profile

Mar 14th 2011, 18:24:34

Buy decent equipment in the first place?

Mar 14th 2011, 18:28:17

i tried to, but for some reason my 300 baud state-of-the-art modem became obsolete... must've been a manufacturing defect...

Marshal Game profile

Mar 14th 2011, 21:55:11

i just upgraded my net to 8/1Mb with old price for a while.