Verified:

mrford Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 5:06:01

Ok, so I have a 10 year old 65 pound basenji, German shepard, chow mix. Adopted her from a shelter when she was less than 4 weeks old for $100. best dog ever

http://i303.photobucket.com/...rd_photo/032700142201.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/...ford_photo/1208091519.jpg
http://i303.photobucket.com/...ford_photo/0522001415.jpg

etc, I could go one, but I digress

she recently jumped down off our unusually high bed like she always does, but she must have tweaked something. She was really limping and hurting and I couldn't take it anymore. I took her to the vet.

It was a high end vet. The guy ran some tests, checked the range of motion in her hind legs, all the good fluff, but this isn't my point.

In the end he suggested that we wait 2 weeks to see if she heals before getting more agressive. I agree and the doc writes my dog 2 perscriptions. One is a random anti-histimine(sp) nothing huge.

The seccond is for 50mg tramadol! I don't know if you guys know much about this, but my grandma takes the exact same pills for her authritus. It is a synthetic opioid, a form of drug related to morphine.

Apparently I'm supposed to give 1-2 50mg pills to my dog every 8 hours or as needed.

This is a serious dosage of pain meds. I gave my dog one pill and she seems to have no pain, however she has the wobbly head and acts drunk. It's really funny/weird

is this taking it a little too far?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

de1i Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 5:12:20

Yes, send me those pills ASAP.

Dragonlance Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 5:14:26

I'll courier them to de1i for you.

cheers

Jong Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 5:19:58

tramadol is prolly the most prescribed pain med for dogs i see in practice, so u shouldnt worry about the choice of the medication that ur vet chose

as for the wobbly head/drunk bit, its an expected side effect of tramadol, although for a 65 lb dog (medium sized?) thats prolly to be expected

Jelly

Feb 16th 2011, 7:44:15

did he take xrays or anything to check bone structure/

my rotty jumped over the fences all the time, once he got caught and one of his back leg bone broke, the vet wanted to put him down, we spent a couple thousand just to get him walking again.

Jelly

Feb 16th 2011, 7:44:49

also, if you zoom in really closely, you can find mr.ford's phone number.

mrford Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 7:57:39

That tag is from when she was a puppy. Never was really updated it because we had a ID chip implanted in her. We took the tag off her one time but she didn't like that at all. She had become accustomed to the clinking sound it makes I assume, if you take her collar off she will pick it up and follow you around untill you put it back on. So we just kinda left it on all these years. However if you really want to be that creepy please do try to call that number, it is not mine.

Edited By: mrford on Feb 16th 2011, 8:04:22
See Original Post
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Evolution Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 14:03:14

They will have your forwarding address? lol?

I am not the kind of person to do that kind of thing its quite rude :/ Hope you don't have a stalker.

I was laughing my ass off when my friend had a stalker, he said I wasn't being supportive. But it was his fault for leading her on. Then she would turn up in his office, he'd unlock the door and turn the light on and she'd be there lol. I thought it was heaps funny.
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

Helmet Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 18:05:31

Dogs process drugs much differently than humans. It's not unusual at all for a canine's dosage to be higher than a human dosage.

Helmet Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 18:06:31

also, how do you know so much about your grandpa's medicine? :P

mrford Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 18:12:24

My grandmother, my moms mom, is my only living grandparent. 2 died before I was bourn and the other died when I was 7.

This one has survived 3 heart attacks and beat Brest Cancer at the age of 74. She recently had surgery to repair a badly leaking heart valve after having her 3 rd heart attack right infront of me.

Even though I'm in a different state now, I still carry around a sheet of paper with everything she takes, even the vitimins. It takes up a full 8.5x11 sheet.

That's probably why I know everything that she takes.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Ruthie

Feb 16th 2011, 18:44:58

cute

she has bling!
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 16th 2011, 23:18:06

lovely gal :)

=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

CGiboney Game profile

Feb 16th 2011, 23:50:37

Good lookin'

Unholy Monks

mrford Game profile

Feb 17th 2011, 3:30:47

Originally posted by Ruthie:
cute

she has bling!

my kid seems to enjoy putting beads around her

they get along well
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Alana Game profile

Feb 17th 2011, 14:43:07

really cute dog, I hope she feels better soon. If your dog starts to get weird side-effects (more so than what you think, I would call the vet and ask for their recommendation about whether you should continue giving the pills or not)
Alana
LCN Peon

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Feb 17th 2011, 19:23:10

welcome to old age mrford's dog, where they keep you drugged until you um, err, yeah...
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

kemo Game profile

Feb 18th 2011, 0:01:58

cool dog. i miss the rot i helped take care of. people were scared fluffless of her size but some random person walked in the house one night. she just ran up with a ball wantin to play. ill be ticked the day a vet says to put her down
all praised to ra