Verified:

Pain Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 23:26:00

why was the other thread closed? i did not see anything bashing religion, only people offering ways to stop those who want to push thier beliefs on people who arent intersted from bothering them. if anything it should have been moved.
Your mother is a nice woman

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 2nd 2011, 23:29:02

Off topic and in bad taste.

Pain Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 0:18:00

like i said could have been moved.

is it in bad taste for people to talk about religion positively?

Bsnake Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 0:21:57

or to inturpt my lunch.....

<bsnake> 68,270,386 turrets whats that in NW??
<Crippler> 115m NW
<Bsnake> 38 mill NW nub... thanks for your netting advice.. Stick to killing nub

Drinks Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 0:41:12

Bsnake really likes his lunch!
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

Popcom Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 0:55:01

1/2 the threads made in FFAT are "off topic". if anything move it to general :P

I don't see how its in bad taste not to enjoy others trying to convert you. hardly bad taste. if anything, i would have closed it because its only a matter of time before people start being belligerent and mocking religions, or people for there beliefs.
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

~If at first you don't succeed, you are clearly not Popcom~

Gmann03 Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 2:18:30

agrees w/popcorn
Lot/Mars2025
http://cc.ghqnet.com
http://
http://sol.ghqnet.com
http://lot.ghqnet.com

braden Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 5:48:28

if you wouldn't meet your grand mother at the door, why would you meet anybody else any differently?

ball gag, naked, whatever else was suggested.. they want to help you. ok, you don't want their help, ok you don't need their help. why can't you be polite?

(and i have no issue with the previous thread, or where it might have gone, but i see why it was closed and do not argue the point at all)

Popcom Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 6:08:59

meeting ppl at the door like that is just the act of an immature jack ass.

if someone comes to your door u can just say no and close it.
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

Pain Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 9:05:14

wow i guess you guys cant tell when someone is be facetious?

obviously ive never answered the door naked with a ball gag, as i dont own a ball gag.

i usually just dont even answer when i see them coming around. easier then saying get lost.

braden Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 9:16:57

they want to help you. if you don't want, or if you don't need, or if you don't care for their help, i don't see where you stop being polite.

once you do, maybe you should hear them out.

WarTime

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:00:32

Even with it being off topic, a lot of posts here are, there is a little thing called the first amendment, which could imply that we're being censored by denying us due process.

Pain Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:13:26

that would be so if this was the united states. unfortunatley the candians own this place and theyre big dicts.

NukEvil Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:22:46

Originally posted by WarTime:
Even with it being off topic, a lot of posts here are, there is a little thing called the first amendment, which could imply that we're being censored by denying us due process.

You have no rights here. Just thought I'd remind you.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Twain Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:22:46

The first amendment prevents the U.S. government from infringing on your freedom of speech. That's it.

The EE staff has the right to censor anything on their server, just as any private citizen has the right to censor what their kids see.

So unless it was someone from D.C. calling up Slagpit to close the previous thread, the 1st amendment doesn't apply here.

RLintz Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:29:44

Is the sever even in the US?

Pain Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:33:24

no

RLintz Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:42:30

I didn't think so...

kemo Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 21:47:33

i wasnt lyin. i have absolutely no problem opening a door in a jesus costume if they come to my place. they are goin outta their way in an attempt to press their thing onto me and im gonna mess with them in return
all praised to ra

rogue

Feb 4th 2011, 0:05:43

some you people not right in head

Gmann03 Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 0:21:26

u got that right rogue.
Lot/Mars2025
http://cc.ghqnet.com
http://
http://sol.ghqnet.com
http://lot.ghqnet.com

Pain Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 6:49:52

so are all you guys super nice to telemarketers also?

smegma Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 4th 2011, 16:54:10

Originally posted by Pain:
wow i guess you guys cant tell when someone is be facetious?

obviously ive never answered the door naked with a ball gag, as i dont own a ball gag.

i usually just dont even answer when i see them coming around. easier then saying get lost.

Your memory must be a little faulty. I used it on you just last week.

;)

braden Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 17:04:27

i am polite to telemarketers, yes.
you can say no thank you, and hang up, without denigrating them.

synoder Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 23:33:22

Here's my take

If people actually believe what their religion teaches then why would they NOT want to tell you about it? For example, Christians believe that there is only one way to heaven and that is by believing in Christ as your savior; everyone else will spend eternity in hell. How could you take them seriously if they didn't try to talk to you about it? I would argue that the people who don't try to share their faith actually don't believe it at all cause there is no way they could follow Christ and let you live your life doomed to hell without even trying to help you. I know there are some religions that teach that there are multiple ways to "heaven" but those aren't the ones that are bugging ya so I won't go into those ;)

Popcom Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 23:48:32

Originally posted by Pain:
so are all you guys super nice to telemarketers also?

i am.
they are doing a job. not like they choose to annoy people at home for kicks. its ajob. and just like u, they need to work to.
also, once again, u can just say no thanks and hang up.
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

smegma Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 5th 2011, 0:06:53

Originally posted by synoder:
Here's my take

If people actually believe what their religion teaches then why would they NOT want to tell you about it? For example, Christians believe that there is only one way to heaven and that is by believing in Christ as your savior; everyone else will spend eternity in hell. How could you take them seriously if they didn't try to talk to you about it? I would argue that the people who don't try to share their faith actually don't believe it at all cause there is no way they could follow Christ and let you live your life doomed to hell without even trying to help you. I know there are some religions that teach that there are multiple ways to "heaven" but those aren't the ones that are bugging ya so I won't go into those ;)

That is exactly the problem. It is a person(s) try to force their beliefs onto you. They have every right to their beliefs and the right to try and share their wondrous glory with others.

However, I find that their "my way is the only way" attitude not only irritating and condescending, but totally lacking in intellectual perspective.

Living life with mental blinders on may make them feel good about themselves for whatever their deficiency might be. Or help them come to grips with their own mortality. But personally, I pity them. Regardless of which book they are thumping.

Popcom Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 0:08:54

just cause somone is telling you there beliefs doens't mean they are forcing them on you...
once again, u can just walk away/close the door...
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

NOW3P Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 0:18:44

my politeness to telemarketers/door to door salesmen entirely depends on their persistence and approach.

If they call once, are polite on the phone, and let me go when I tell them I am not interested in their services, then they will get a polite "no thank you, I'm not interested", and I may even wish them a good day/evening.

If, on the other hand, they keep calling, are rude on the phone, or just have a terrible approach to sales, then I'm not nearly as apt to be friendly, and that's when TROLL3P comes out to play.

Perfect example - there was a tree trimming company doing door to door advertising in my neighborhood. The first time, 2 nice kids come to my door, 1 boy and 1 girl. Both very well dressed, both very polite, both very well spoken. I told them I wasn't really in need of any service at the time, but they were welcome to leave a card if they liked just so long as they removed my address from their list of addresses to market at. At that point, I probably would have even used their service had I needed it.

I watched them write down the address, and put a do not solicit note next to it.

2 weeks later, two girls show up at my house marketing for the same company. They are sloppily dressed, poorly spoken, and had an attitude that said they were quite obviously not in love with their job by any means. Before they could even finish their initial pitch, I asked to see their address list.

Sure enough, my address is listed with a do not solicit notation next to it.

I informed them they had exactly 6 and 3/4 seconds to get off my property (about the time it would take for 2 fat girls to sprint out of my front yard) before I reported them to their bosses, and their company to the better business bureau, and that if they tried to solicit at my home again, I would be answering the door with my whacking stick (yes, I really said whacking stick!).

I'm thinking they thought I was a real jerk, but I have to admit that it was extremely enjoyable to watch 2 snotty little sixteen year olds speed waddle their way out of my driveway!

btw - for those of you that are not aware, the BBB is a joke. Any company can buy a AAA rating, and ratings are not based on company quality.

kemo Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 0:22:21

they didnt come to my door to sell vacuums. they came to tell me about their god. thats fine and dandy they have a savior but if i wanted to know about him id go to church or research him myself.

i just may be a fluff but to me thats clearly goin outta your way. in fact should i happen to have one of them at my door and i do have a jesus costume handy i will happily open the door as jesus and say "im sorry my child but i was wrong. islam is the future."
all praised to ra

NOW3P Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 0:26:16

I think it's funny to joke about....but on a humanistic level, personally I think there's just really no need to degrade and berate someone's beliefs like that just because they caused you a minor inconvenience.

Wish them a good day, a happy life, and all the understanding they hope to find in their beliefs. Then tell them you'd prefer that they did not come to your address again. Or even better yet, put up a no soliciting sign. Then walk away a happier person than them for having convictions you can feel so secure in.

kemo Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 0:30:11

i do suppose knockin on the door is a step up from the original

"do you believe in god?"
"no"
boom your dead

next guy

"do you believe in god?"
"yes"
"do you believe in my god?"
"no"
boom your dead
all praised to ra

Popcom Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 0:31:34

holy fluff 2 16 yr old girls made a mistake and didn't have a professional sales pitch!? WTF!
better freak out and threaten them with bodily harm!
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

Pain Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 1:02:25

the bible thumpers here dont just take no for an answer, most of the time. normally ill say no thanks, im not gonna pretend i act like a badass off the bat, so dont get the wrong impression. but then theyll start in on "but why?" or something similar to try to engage you in some type of debate so they can try to prove thier god exists/is right.

heres how i usually conduct myself

Bible thumper: Hello, do you have jesus in your life?

Me: no, sorry i have no interest in religion.

give them a second to say ok, thanks for your time, have a nice day, etc. and walk away.

should they choose to not do that, thats when i will let them know how i REALLY feel, rather then slamming the door in thier face. courtesy goes both ways and if theyre not willing to show it, neither will i. when they ask "why not" that drives me fluffing insane.

synoder Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 1:19:18

Originally posted by smegma:

That is exactly the problem. It is a person(s) try to force their beliefs onto you. They have every right to their beliefs and the right to try and share their wondrous glory with others.

However, I find that their "my way is the only way" attitude not only irritating and condescending, but totally lacking in intellectual perspective.

Living life with mental blinders on may make them feel good about themselves for whatever their deficiency might be. Or help them come to grips with their own mortality. But personally, I pity them. Regardless of which book they are thumping.

That's a circular argument cause you can't make that statement without putting yourself into the same boat. It would be like me saying that everyone who thinks that they are right is wrong because I am right. When it comes to religion there can only be one true one, the rest are all wrong. So the real question is which one is right?

Popcom Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 1:47:40

or none are right
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

synoder Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 1:53:00

I think of atheism as a religion too. Just one without a god.

NOW3P Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 1:58:51

popcom - the sales pitch was just fine other than being read word for word from a script, and wasn't what I took issue with. like I said though, TROLL3P - I enjoyed it quite thoroughly.

Neighbors got a kick out of it too, so double win.