Verified:

Atryn Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 18:27:59

The latest Kaiser Health Tracking Poll found widespread misconceptions about the health care law, including the notion that government panels would be set up to make decisions about end-of-life care for Medicare recipients — the so-called death panels.

Nearly two-thirds of those polled said they did not know that the health insurance exchanges were set to open on Oct. 1, including almost three-quarters of uninsured Americans. And half of Americans were under the impression that the law created a government-run insurance plan that would compete with private sector insurance plans.

Four in 10 Americans held the misconception that illegal immigrants would receive financial assistance to attain health insurance, and the same proportion said they believed the government would set up death panels.

Among the 51 percent of Americans who said they did not have enough information to know how the law would impact their family, financial concerns were at the forefront. When asked what their main question was about the health care law, one in five wanted to know about costs of plans and what enrollees would be expected to pay, followed by a desire for a basic summary of the law and how it will work.

In related news, 2/3 of American's appear to suddenly lose ability to use Google to find basic information online.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 1st 2013, 18:29:00

all the tea party proves is that if you are backed by enough money you can change the conversation to whatever you want :)
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 1st 2013, 18:46:51

The only thing missing from their misconceptions is mandatory gas chambers...
Finally did the signature thing.

Heston Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 18:47:38

I was wrong, my brother, active duty army, recieved 1\2 his last pay check. He was told that he would not be getting paid next pay period. Over the weeked the army provided bbq for soldiers to eat.
My son called and said all college military athletics are suspended.
People sacrificing their time laid up in worse than prison conditions are being fluff on because of a quack health care law. Good fluffing work senators representatives and almighty lord obama. Everyone of them should be immediately shot Chinese style.
❤️️Nothing but❤️️💯❤️️❤️️🌺🌸🌹❤️❤️💯

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 1st 2013, 19:05:00

Lol this is awesome
Finally did the signature thing.

trumper Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 19:15:56

Originally posted by Atryn:
Originally posted by trumper:
A) They also won an election based on opposing Obamacare.

No, the republicans did not win "an election based on opposing Obamacare". They won a number of small local elections in gerrymandered districts of the ones that were up for grabs to gain just enough seats in the House to take control of the House. Those are not at all the same thing.

I tend to agree it's not the right spot for the fight. At the same time, you forget the President unilaterally ignored his own law--you know, the one he signed into law, was upheld by the Supreme Court, and Congress passed--to delay the employer mandate.

Actually, that is a great example of the Administration working with stakeholders to compromise and change the implementation to make it simpler and more effective -- done without a gun to their heads on funding the government. AMAZING... you can actually work with and obtain compromise from the Administration without the extreme right-wing's political games?!?!? Who knew??!!?

http://www.treasury.gov/...l-Thoughtful-Manner-.aspx

C) Would not disagree that the Tea Party element has significantly altered government and really hamstrung potential at bipartisan compromises.

Yeah, that's an easy one to agree on.

D) So, about President Obama cancelling his meeting with Boehner to discuss this, the Senate Democrats refusing to appoint Conference Committee negotiators, or the President's unilateral decision to delay something "upheld by the Supreme Court and passed by Congress" because he said so.... oh right, it's all the Republicans and their my way or the highway attitude. *Shrugs*.

Its really simple. The President has met with Boehner many times on many issues. They have even reached agreements in the past. The Senate has done the same. The point here is that a Continuing Resolution to fund the government IS NOT THE PLACE for that meeting on the Affordable Care Act.

If you recall, 2010 started off with Scott Brown winning the Senate seat in Mass based on running as the key vote. (It didn't end up mattering as the Democrats used reconcilation to circumvent the legislative process that otherwise would have allowed a filibuster). Then, in November, they won 63 seats to take control of the House. I'm not sure that's a "number of small local elections in gerrymandered" districts, particularly because legislative redistricting would not actually impact seats until the following election cycle (2012). It was the largest change in House seats in over 60 years. And the biggest item they ran on was opposing Obamacare. So it's hard to read Pang argue for using the 2012 election as a referendum (despite some folks on the right trying to cast it that way) while entirely ignoring the huge sweep of 2010.

Sure, delaying the employer mandate could be viewed as a compromise of his own signature law. The only problem is that no one--not even Congressional Democrats--were actually consulted. So really it's a compromise with one's self. So, yes in literal terms, it's a compromise. However, Pang was arguing that the Republicans were being absurd in demanding anything such as delaying the individual mandate and they were doing it despite the law existing and despite SCOTUS upholding the Constitutionality of it. And I pointed out the President did exactly the same thing despite the law and despite SCOTUS ;).

Yes, the President, Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader Reid, etc have met before. It's how we got sequestration, but how does that change the President's responsibility to at least try to give the appearance of leading? What, he can't be bothered on this subject? Too busy playing golf on a Saturday while the House votes on it? C'mon, seriously. Even Bob Woodward agrees:
http://freebeacon.com/...s-on-the-presidents-head/

trumper Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 19:21:33

The latest Kaiser Health Tracking Poll found widespread misconceptions about the health care law, including the notion that government panels would be set up to make decisions about end-of-life care for Medicare recipients — the so-called death panels.

Nearly two-thirds of those polled said they did not know that the health insurance exchanges were set to open on Oct. 1, including almost three-quarters of uninsured Americans. And half of Americans were under the impression that the law created a government-run insurance plan that would compete with private sector insurance plans.

Four in 10 Americans held the misconception that illegal immigrants would receive financial assistance to attain health insurance, and the same proportion said they believed the government would set up death panels.

Among the 51 percent of Americans who said they did not have enough information to know how the law would impact their family, financial concerns were at the forefront. When asked what their main question was about the health care law, one in five wanted to know about costs of plans and what enrollees would be expected to pay, followed by a desire for a basic summary of the law and how it will work.

In related news, 2/3 of American's appear to suddenly lose ability to use Google to find basic information online.

Ask them how anything works in government and unless you're polling a very small segment of the population that's probably within a 10 mile radius of where I'm sitting, you're bound to get similar results. For example, ask them where the majority of our debt comes from. You will immediately hear China. Bah, I spent way too much time in crosstabs last cycle.

Anyway, Pang's original point of saying people supported the law (or at least weren't opposed to it, as a majority) was wrong. RCP's list of polls shows that. Whether they understand the law, that's another story. I'm also willing to bet most folks here don't know many of the law either.

Atryn Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 19:24:39

From one of our sales directors JUST NOW on email:

"Hey guys, apparently the NCES [National Center for Education Statistics] website is down due to the gov't shutdown... anyone know of another place for the same information?"

I then went to check a few...

whitehouse.gov has a disclaimer up saying information on the site may be out of date.

bls.gov has a similar "not being updated" notice.

nasa.gov is down entirely.

fcc.gov has a special notice up with links to the "essential" resources still available.

even fema.gov says portions of their site may not be updated.

FUN FUN FUN in the USA!!!

trumper Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 19:33:41

The best story I've seen is this one:
http://hotair.com/...s-to-visit-wwii-memorial/

The WWII vets would have nothing of it. Barricaded/shut out of their memorial? Nope, they just moved the barricades and dared NPS to arrest them (NPS caved and decided to permit them in and figure out a work-around policy).

Makolyte Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 19:34:48

The best story I've seen is this one:
http://hotair.com/...s-to-visit-wwii-memorial/

The WWII vets would have nothing of it. Barricaded/shut out of their memorial? Nope, they just moved the barricades and dared NPS to arrest them (NPS caved and decided to permit them in and figure out a work-around policy).

Just like D-Day
--------------------------------------------
Alliance: VP of Death Knights
FFA: XI warrior

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 1st 2013, 19:41:33

Thumper,

My numbers came from 3 different news broadcasts on CBC (after work), CNN (before MNF) and NBC (before the Daily show) last night. Someone else in this thread posted some other links to polls that agree with what I saw. Thanks for posting your source that backs up your viewpoint. Here's another one that agrees with my viewpoint again: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...care-polls_n_4018888.html
So I'm right now and you're wrong again, right? 5 second google search.

Also, the American people being in favour of Obamacare aka not defunding aka "let's see how it works" aka "i have no clue how it works, but it sounds better than nothing" was a subpoint to the larger point re: Republicans being whiney, bratty babies who are holding the country hostage unless they get their way.

Others have reubtted your posts on this thread, so I haven't felt the need to jump back in again til now even though you gave my post a multi-quote, point-by-point breakdown. But my point isn't wrong; it just doesn't agree with the polling that you're willing to accept.

Edited By: Pang on Oct 1st 2013, 19:46:31
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 1st 2013, 19:42:32

From one of our sales directors JUST NOW on email:

"Hey guys, apparently the NCES (National Center for Education Statistics) website is down due to the gov't shutdown... anyone know of another place for the same information?"

I then went to check a few...

whitehouse.gov has a disclaimer up saying information on the site may be out of date.

bls.gov has a similar "not being updated" notice.

nasa.gov is down entirely.

fcc.gov has a special notice up with links to the "essential" resources still available.

even fema.gov says portions of their site may not be updated.

FUN FUN FUN in the USA!!!

+1 for Canada :)

Edited By: qzjul on Oct 1st 2013, 23:27:40. Reason: brackets!
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

ericownsyou5 Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 19:43:16

eeeek I agree with mdevol...

trumper Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 19:46:12

Originally posted by Pang:
Thumper,

My numbers came from 3 different news broadcasts on CBC (after work), CNN (before MNF) and NBC (before the Daily show) last night. Someone else in this thread posted some other links to polls that agree with what I saw. Thanks for posting your source that backs up your viewpoint. Here's another one that agrees with my viewpoint again: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...care-polls_n_4018888.html
So I'm right now and you're wrong again, right? 5 second google search.

Also, the American people being in favour of Obamacare aka not defunding aka "let's see how it works" aka "i have no clue how it works, but it sounds better than nothing" was a subpoint to the larger point re: Republicans being whiney, bratty babies who are holding the country hostage unless they get their way.

You are really losing the debate in every rebuttle you make against everyone, both with stats and just the general topic, so it's been so fun to watch I haven't felt the need to jump back in again til now even though you gave my post a multi-quote, point-by-point breakdown. My points aren't wrong; they just don't agree with the polling that you're willing to accept.

"MAJORITY of Americans WANT Oabamacare to go into effect as an incremental step toward a better healthcare system"

Your words, not mine. The problem is that you're then trying to defend them by citing polling data showing Americans don't support a government shutdown to stop Obamacare. Fine, but that's not the same thing as saying they WANT Obamacare. Ergo, why I showed you a link with people saying they don't want it.

Atryn Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 19:47:52

Then, in November, they won 63 seats to take control of the House. I'm not sure that's a "number of small local elections in gerrymandered" districts, particularly because legislative redistricting would not actually impact seats until the following election cycle (2012).

Not sure if you need this, but you do realize that redistricting isn't done by the U.S. Congress but by the states? A change in control in U.S. Congress doesn't lead to state-level redistricting, its the other way around. The republicans embarked on major redistricting efforts in many states prior to the 2010 election.

http://www.publicmapping.org/what-is-redistricting

It was the largest change in House seats in over 60 years. And the biggest item they ran on was opposing Obamacare.

Not in my view... There were many items they ran on, collectively anti-Obama. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was certainly one of those issues and was incredibly mis-represented then as well. People were more attuned (and upset) over the Wall Street Bailout, 9% unemployment, and even the illegal immigration debate.

Sure, delaying the employer mandate could be viewed as a compromise of his own signature law. The only problem is that no one--not even Congressional Democrats--were actually consulted. So really it's a compromise with one's self.

You didn't read the link did you?

Yes, the President, Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader Reid, etc have met before. It's how we got sequestration, but how does that change the President's responsibility to at least try to give the appearance of leading? What, he can't be bothered on this subject? Too busy playing golf on a Saturday while the House votes on it? C'mon, seriously.

The President can't go run Congress for them. They need to send him a bill. It isn't his job to run the House or to get the House and Senate to agree. There is no point in him sitting on the steps of the House repeating the same thing over and over again to the idiots there. His position was made clear well in advance (not waiting until the last minute to hammer out something). If you think coddling to the House's juvenile behavior will be constructive in the short or long term, you've got another think coming.

What the president rightly learned from previous incidents and compromises is that if you show you will cave in to this extreme behavior, they'll just do it again next time. Its positive reinforcement of bad behavior, and we all know you cannot deal with an unruly group of children [U.S. House] that way. This is akin to the "not negotiating with terrorists" mantra.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 1st 2013, 20:07:32

I'm not going to focus much energy arguing semantics with you when you're so far off base from the core of the issues being discussed... but "want it to go INTO EFFECT" was right in there -- as in, do you want it to start up and have funding, which was the default since it's currently funded now while apparently?

additionally, "approval polls," as you posted, are not the same thing and in this case seems more for the spin factor than the underlying truth. people can not APPROVE of something, but still want it over NOTHING.

as I said, you're pretty off focus, so I'll leave at that rather than devolving further into arguing one point/position that I would actually gladly abandon as my disgust is more for the way the politics is being handled by the Republican party over the duration of Obama's term.

honestly, I don't have a horse in this race
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

trumper Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 20:41:13

[quote poster=Atryn; 26618; 492065]
Then, in November, they won 63 seats to take control of the House. I'm not sure that's a "number of small local elections in gerrymandered" districts, particularly because legislative redistricting would not actually impact seats until the following election cycle (2012).

Not sure if you need this, but you do realize that redistricting isn't done by the U.S. Congress but by the states? A change in control in U.S. Congress doesn't lead to state-level redistricting, its the other way around. The republicans embarked on major redistricting efforts in many states prior to the 2010 election.

http://www.publicmapping.org/what-is-redistricting

It was the largest change in House seats in over 60 years. And the biggest item they ran on was opposing Obamacare.

Not in my view... There were many items they ran on, collectively anti-Obama. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was certainly one of those issues and was incredibly mis-represented then as well. People were more attuned (and upset) over the Wall Street Bailout, 9% unemployment, and even the illegal immigration debate.

Sure, delaying the employer mandate could be viewed as a compromise of his own signature law. The only problem is that no one--not even Congressional Democrats--were actually consulted. So really it's a compromise with one's self.

You didn't read the link did you?

Yes, the President, Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader Reid, etc have met before. It's how we got sequestration, but how does that change the President's responsibility to at least try to give the appearance of leading? What, he can't be bothered on this subject? Too busy playing golf on a Saturday while the House votes on it? C'mon, seriously.

The President can't go run Congress for them. They need to send him a bill. It isn't his job to run the House or to get the House and Senate to agree. There is no point in him sitting on the steps of the House repeating the same thing over and over again to the idiots there. His position was made clear well in advance (not waiting until the last minute to hammer out something). If you think coddling to the House's juvenile behavior will be constructive in the short or long term, you've got another think coming.

What the president rightly learned from previous incidents and compromises is that if you show you will cave in to this extreme behavior, they'll just do it again next time. Its positive reinforcement of bad behavior, and we all know you cannot deal with an unruly group of children [U.S. House] that way. This is akin to the "not negotiating with terrorists" mantra.
[/quote]

I'm fully aware states do redistricting as I worked on a bill in one of them ;). But, again, they don't go into effect until the election following the census. In this case, that's 2012. So again, your rebuttal that Republicans won the seats in 2010 because of gerrymandering is irrelevant since they were playing in the same district lines that gave Democrats control of the House from 2006-2010 (technically from Jan. 07-Jan. 11, but for our purposes that's irrelevant).

Yes, many issues impacted the election. But how can one argue that 2012 is a referendum on Obamacare while simultaneously saying 2010 had little or nothing to do with it? Right, and that was my point.

I read your link and stand by the he didn't consult anyone point, which the Asst. Sec all but says. If you're talking about compromise referred to on the length of applications all I can say is, ha, they compromised on a proposed rule during a comment period (it wasn't etched into stone the same way).

Agreed, the President can't run Congress for them. And, quite frankly, nor should he. However, if he's going to whine they're not doing what he wants then he should either suggest something beyond repeating the same thing or get out of the way and let Senate Democrats do it. Who, by the way, also rejected attempted to negotiate. If you recall, it was Sen. Maj. Leader Reid who convinced Obama to cancel his meeting (see Politico story) and it was Sen. Reid who rejected sending any negotiators to the conference committee. They have a duty to at least try.

trumper Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 20:44:26

I'm not going to focus much energy arguing semantics with you when you're so far off base from the core of the issues being discussed... but "want it to go INTO EFFECT" was right in there -- as in, do you want it to start up and have funding, which was the default since it's currently funded now while apparently?

additionally, "approval polls," as you posted, are not the same thing and in this case seems more for the spin factor than the underlying truth. people can not APPROVE of something, but still want it over NOTHING.

as I said, you're pretty off focus, so I'll leave at that rather than devolving further into arguing one point/position that I would actually gladly abandon as my disgust is more for the way the politics is being handled by the Republican party over the duration of Obama's term.

honestly, I don't have a horse in this race

They oppose the law, but they don't support shutting down government to stop it. That's essentially what all of the polling data says.

The argument in the weeds would be saying people support elements of the law (eg, pre-existing conditions), therefore they really support the law in principle. Or vice versa, they overwhelmingly oppose things like the individual mandate therefore they oppose any similar law. And that's why you see the GOP argument for "repeal and replace" rather than just repeal.

Anyway, yes, it's a circle that we could go around for days.

Twain Game profile

Oct 1st 2013, 23:58:04

I enjoy how the pro-Republican people keep saying the Democrats need to come to the negotiating table.

What's the purpose of a negotiation at this point? This will sound repetitive to what everyone else said because it is. First off, the President isn't going to give up on his primary domestic achievement. Furthermore, it was a law that was passed by Congress, signed into law, and adjudicated in the Court system.

Since then, as Pang said, the most recent election, the President was re-elected, and as someone else said (Atryn maybe?), Democrats actually won more total votes in the House than Republicans (but failed to win a majority of seats because of the increased gerrymandering of districts, whether that goes back to 2010 or 2000), and even picked up a few seats in each house.

Americans voted more for the party of Obamacare than for the party against Obamacare. Furthermore, even though only about 40-45% of Americans are actually in favor of Obamacare, 72% are against shutting down government to stop it. Lastly, (here's my one new point), the polling data for Medicare way back before it's implementation was similar, with polling data being in the 40s in support. Since it actually took effect, Medicare has had a strong majority in favor of it (Meet the Press last Sunday stated about 80%, iirc, but I haven't personally looked for or found any such polls).

Beyond this, there's no logical reason why funding the government should be connected to the implementation of this law, other than the fact that it's a time when the Republicans know that holding up such funding is damaging and they want to try to exercise any leverage they can in an attempt to raise their profile.

So with all that in mind, why would the Democrats sit down with the House Republicans so long as they continue to even connect the funding of the overall government with the implementation of the ACA?

It's completely ridiculous.

mdevol Game profile

Oct 2nd 2013, 4:03:47

look for anybody trying to stand on 2008 and 2012 elections as a referendum on Obamacare, please see 2010 elections.

This election told you everything you want to know about how the country feels of Obamacare and how it was passed.

A nationwide wave that saw over 1000 local and national elections go to the Republicans, call it jerrymandering if you must, it was an all out ass-kicking. The largest gains made by a party in the house in 62 years. I breaking up of the supermajority in the Senate. The country spoke loud and clear. The administration told them to shut up.

It wasnt until Obama got his "machine" out in the streets that the Dems started to look better (or less worse) in the districts.

The 2012 election was one of insane voter suppression and negative attack ads and completely dodging and misinformation from both sides. It was pathetic.

It will be interesting to see if Obama lends his network to Clinton in 2016 or if it will go to Biden.

That said, this shutdown will only be felt by non-active duty military and the residents and federal workers in Washington. Outside of that it will be very minimal.

I fully expect the debt limit talks to also be contentious with Obamacare attatched and if the Dems dont budge, we will go over that cliff too.

Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

Wu Game profile

Oct 2nd 2013, 9:44:05

US govt is ranked too high

Atryn Game profile

Oct 2nd 2013, 12:06:59

Originally posted by mdevol:
look for anybody trying to stand on 2008 and 2012 elections as a referendum on Obamacare, please see 2010 elections.

This election told you everything you want to know about how the country feels of Obamacare and how it was passed.

A nationwide wave that saw over 1000 local and national elections go to the Republicans, call it jerrymandering if you must, it was an all out ass-kicking. The largest gains made by a party in the house in 62 years. I breaking up of the supermajority in the Senate. The country spoke loud and clear. The administration told them to shut up.

Mentioned before. The 2010 election was a backlash against the Dems not over the Affordable Care Act but over many things. Many of which were still from the previous administration. Obama was elected in 2008, took office in 2009 and the people were unhappy that between then and the 2010 election we still had 9% unemployment and we had bailed out Wall Street.

Frankly, I think Wall Street is singing and dancing right now that everyone is rewriting history to say the only political issue that mattered in those elections was the Affordable Care Act when it was the Wall Street Meltdown, resulting economic crisis, Government bailouts (too big to fail anyone? anyone? bueller?) etc. that were the big issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if WS is paying off both sides to rewrite history.

Atryn Game profile

Oct 2nd 2013, 13:00:27

Don't forget, October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month!!!

http://www.fbi.gov/...rity-awareness-month-2013

"October marks the 10th anniversary of National Cyber Security Awareness Month. Established by presidential directive in 2004..."

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Oct 2nd 2013, 13:03:06

i am one of the few americans that would make a fluffload of money if the U.S. no longer had the world currency.
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

Twain Game profile

Oct 2nd 2013, 19:58:18

Senator McCain, who if you recall is no fan of Pres. Obama's politics, said: "The people spoke. Elections have consequences," and in doing so was basically telling Sen. Cruz to shut up because the people must want Obamacare if they re-elected Pres. Obama.

trumper Game profile

Oct 2nd 2013, 20:50:52

Mentioned before. The 2010 election was a backlash against the Dems not over the Affordable Care Act but over many things. Many of which were still from the previous administration. Obama was elected in 2008, took office in 2009 and the people were unhappy that between then and the 2010 election we still had 9% unemployment and we had bailed out Wall Street.

Frankly, I think Wall Street is singing and dancing right now that everyone is rewriting history to say the only political issue that mattered in those elections was the Affordable Care Act when it was the Wall Street Meltdown, resulting economic crisis, Government bailouts (too big to fail anyone? anyone? bueller?) etc. that were the big issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if WS is paying off both sides to rewrite history.

Really, so Scott Brown didn't win his seat by oh saying he would be the key vote to stop Obamacare? And then he won in good ole MA of all places.

Yes, following his victory was the emergence of the Tea Party. It centered on a series of ideas from too big too fail, to debt, and Obamacare/ACA, but claiming Obamacare wasn't a major part of the 2010 election cycle is just woefully naive or intentionally misleading.

The funny part of this all is I agree with you guys that the Republicans should switch their negotiating "ask," but I don't agree with rewriting history. And a large chunk of that caucus was elected on the backs of tossing out this law.

As for the polling of Medicare, I'm calling bs. I would love to see that data, but polling back then was used in elections and rarely in anything else. That's why we don't even have right track/wrong track data from back then for the most part. I'm sure someone interpreted some political poll to say gosh this was unpopular, but the guy's popularity jumped x amount therefore everyone loves the policy, but it would be total bs.

mdevol Game profile

Oct 2nd 2013, 21:07:17

The whole notion of "its law passed by house and senate and signed by the presiedent, deal with it" didn't apply to dems over the bush era tax reforms or dont ask dont tell (a hugely popular law within the military) why should it apply to this? A law that even the man who penned it into law is changing and delaying himself (unconstitutionally, might I add) because it is not working out how it was planned...

Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

trumper Game profile

Oct 2nd 2013, 21:39:59

"Look, these were the guys [Obama, Reid, Pelosi] who thought sequestration was a great win for them and who made 85 percent of the Bush tax cuts permanent. The Bush tax cuts were an upper hand he could have used to control the country for years. If he would have extended it for a year we’d be talking about whether there should be a tax increase right now. You shouldn’t spend too much time thinking you’re dealing with political geniuses here."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...raffic-and-wandered-away/

Ha, such an astute point. By the way, Norquist attacks Cruz saying hung House Republicans out to dry versus giving them leverage with a meaningful strategy to extract entitlement reforms.

BILL_DANGER Game profile

Oct 3rd 2013, 3:02:44

The government was designed specifically to hold each other in check and this is what is happening. The central government was never intended to have such a vast expansion that it would be devastating. Local and State governments will operate as is and we WILL survive this

THIS. RIGHT HERE.

A GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN *SHOULD* BE A MAJOR YAWNER! HELL, BACK WHEN THE COUNTRY WAS YOUNG AND FULL OF LIBERTY-MINDED PEOPLE AND GOVERNING WAS A DUTY RATHER THAN A CAREER, THE ISSUE WAS THAT THEY COULDN'T GET CONGRESS TO CONVENE (OF COURSE, TRAVEL WAS A BIT TOUGHER BACK THEN, TOO, TO BE FAIR)

I FIND IT DELICIOUSLY IRONIC THAT THE CURRENT DEMONSTRATION OF THE ABILITY OF OUR GOVERNMENT TO PARALYZE ITSELF COMES AS A RESULT OF A DEBATE OVER WHERE WE AS A PEOPLE WANT TO GIVE THAT VERY SAME GOVERNMENT MORE OF A ROLE IN OUR HEALTH CARE!!?!? IF AMERICANS WOULD STOP MAKING THEMSELVES DEPENDENT ON THE GOVERNMENT, THEY WOULDN'T NEED TO BE APOPLECTIC WHEN IT "SHUTS DOWN!"

HA!

BILL
CHIEF OF BEING FOR SOME REASON STILL COMPELLED TO TYPE WORDS THAT WILL FALL ON DEAF EYES FOR 99% OF THE IDEOLOGUES WHO READ IT
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

Angel1 Game profile

Oct 3rd 2013, 4:00:56

Angel1, you are incorrect. Not just about whose fault the shutdown is, but in your beliefs if you claim to be a conservative.

If you claim to be someone who supports the constitution (and by extension, America), how can you believe that holding up a law's implementation after it was passed -- and affirmed by the supreme court -- just because you don't like it is an OK thing to do? This debate isn't a negotiation point. This is funding the damn government to continue functioning.

The Supreme Court has affirmed parts of Obamacare and struck down other parts. For instance a number of Americans won't qualify for subsidies despite being very poor because the US Supreme Court ruled that the Federal Government could not blackmail the states into expanding their medicaid coverage. Which brings up another point, they upheld the individual mandate as a tax (saying that it was otherwise unconstitutional); unfortunately, the Supreme Court did not hear arguments on the fact that this revenue bill originated in the US Senate and thus did not make a ruling on that. Now the President will argue that Obamacare originated in the House as a bill to provide for veterans housing and it was stripped in the Senate and then sent back to the House. This however, essentially blackmailed representatives and denied Americans their equal representation in the US House of Representatives. If the Supreme Court follows that line of logic, they will be forced to conclude that Obamacare originated in the Senate when it gets back to the Supreme Court. That's the complicated part to prove, but once that's proven it becomes very easy to prove the law unconstitutional:

Article 1, Section 7, Clause 1 states, "All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with amendments as on other Bills."

When does this make it's way to the Supreme Court? First, someone has to have standing to sue...they must have been impacted by the individual mandate and probably been forced to pay the individual mandate tax. The tax makes it a revenue bill, paying it gives someone standing to sue. This kind of makes me uncertain as to whether or not Republicans should be trying to stop the individual mandate because this could very well be the quickest way to get rid of Obamacare entirely.

I don't know wtf you're talking about re: "majority of americans". You're just pulling words out of your ass. The polling states that a MAJORITY of Americans WANT Oabamacare to go into effect as an incremental step toward a better healthcare system. A MAJORITY of Americans feel that this government shutdown isn't what they want. A MAJORITY of Americans feel that this is on the Republicans and not Obama or the Democrats. This was the polling as recently as last night when I watched both Canadian and American news on the topic.

If you want to talk about the last time an election was held, a majority of Americans voted for Barack Obama. A majority of Americans voted for Democratic senators. In the House, the Democrats gained seats. The Republicans lost and lost badly, mainly because of the kind of vitriol and obstructionism that they showed during Obama's first term. Holding secure right-leaning seats in gerrymandered districts is about all the Republicans did in 2012.

Republicans won the House of Representatives in the election after Obamacare was passed. They still control the House. Clearly Americans want compromise...that's why we didn't one party control even in the most recent election. Though for the record, America is first and foremost a federal republic and only after that is America a representative democracy. This was put into place to protect against the tyranny of the majority and I would defy you to say that a majority of Americans don't want the individual mandate delayed since so many other entities including the congress are getting waivers on Obamacare.

So, to summarize:
a) Republicans lost the last election, which they claimed was a referendum on Obama and Obamacare. They lost seats in both chambers of congress and were trounced nationally by Obama. As John McCain said "there are consequences to losing elections" so you'd think it's time to stop being obstructionist.
b) The supreme court affirmed the law as constitutional, meaning that by not funding it, Republicans aren't as fond of following the constitution as they claim to be.
c) Republicans are basically becoming anarchist because of a small wing of their party, and the party seems fine with that.
d) Only one party holds the country hostage when it doesn't get it's way, and that party is the Republicans.

Anyway, thanks for making our crappy Canadian government look like a bunch of all-stars...

a) Americans still left the Republicans in control of the US House of Representatives, so you would think the Democrats and President Obama would get the idea that Americans want them to compromise.
b) We'll see what the Supreme Court says when the law makes its way back to the Supreme Court and it is going to go back. Constitutionality remains an open question. The Supreme Court's own ruling allowing the individual mandate instead of just striking that part of the law down could very well force them to strike the whole law down.
c) The Republican run House of Representatives sent two budgets to the Democratic run Senate. In the second, they toned down their efforts and upped their ante to make a budget deal. What did the Democrats do? After the first budget, they stripped the budget of the provision to defund Obamacare and sent it back. After the second budget, they didn't do anything. Republicans plainly made an effort to get a budget and Democrats did nothing to try to reach a deal. They didn't even offer the Republicans a carrot on reducing the deficit. They didn't do anything but say that they're not going to negotiate. Actions speak louder than words. The Democrats' actions are saying exactly what their words are, "We're not going to negotiate!" The Republicans' actions are saying, "We are negotiating the best we can with our colleagues." One party is negotiating through their actions and the other is shutting down the government through their inaction. Anarchy is refusing to negotiate in any way, shape, or form to pass a budget. That's really all there is to the government shutdown.

d) See point "c". I have clearly shown that the Democrats are the party that refuses to negotiate, so who's holding the government hostage again? I'm confused because it doesn't make sense to say that the party that's actually negotiating is holding the government hostage and that's what you're saying. I have to conclude that you're completely wrong on this point.

Edited By: Angel1 on Oct 3rd 2013, 15:44:59
See Original Post
-Angel1

BILL_DANGER Game profile

Oct 3rd 2013, 13:23:23

TO THE POINT THAT I HAVE SEEN RAISED HERE, AND ELSEWHERE, ABOUT HOW OBAMACARE IS "SETTLED LAW" AND SOMEHOW THAT MEANS THE HOUSE REPUBLICANS SHOULD JUST ACQUIESCE, THIS ARGUMENT IS NONSENSICAL. I RECOMMEND READING THE FOLLOWING FOR AN INTERESTING (ALBEIT FROM A PARTISAN SOURCE) PERSPECTIVE:

from http://soundpolitics.com/archives/015944.html

...while it is the law of the land, what is not the proper law of the land is the funding of "ObamaCare" in fiscal year 2014, which begins Tuesday. Only the Congress for fiscal year 2014 can authorize spending for fiscal year 2014, no matter what "ObamaCare" says. In fact, Chris Matthews is completely wrong: whenever you ask for money from Congress, you are necessarily taking another look at the law and asking if you want it to go into effect. Every single time. That's the same with Medicare, and the war in Afghanistan, and anything else that needs funding from the Congress. The Congress is continually looking at laws and asking whether we want them to go into effect, every time funding for them comes up.

In short, Matthews is accidentally right that there is no "final look at the law," but there's an annual look at the law.

That is why James Madison wrote in Federalist 58, "The House of Representatives cannot only refuse, but they alone can propose, the supplies requisite for the support of government. They, in a word, hold the purse that powerful instrument by which we behold, in the history of the British Constitution, an infant and humble representation of the people gradually enlarging the sphere of its activity and importance, and finally reducing, as far as it seems to have wished, all the overgrown prerogatives of the other branches of the government. This power over the purse may, in fact, be regarded as the most complete and effectual weapon with which any constitution can arm the immediate representatives of the people, for obtaining a redress of every grievance, and for carrying into effect every just and salutary measure."

Edited By: BILL_DANGER on Oct 3rd 2013, 13:37:39
See Original Post

trumper Game profile

Oct 3rd 2013, 13:28:16

As an added observation, Republicans would likely control the Senate if not for the ridiculous candidates put forward and they insane things they say (IN, MO, DE, ND ME, WV, CO). If you look at the Senate map, it should nearly always come up with a red tinge, yet it doesn't because the primary system finds some unique way to put the worst GOP candidates forward. I've heard a few very connected donors say about the NRSC, three strikes and you're out in reference to whether they make any gains this cycle or not.

Xinhuan Game profile

Oct 3rd 2013, 16:04:18

Who wants to bet on when the shutdown ends?

Syko_Killa Game profile

Oct 3rd 2013, 16:49:29

There's no way of knowing but with all the debt we have, it might take months. Last time it happened it lasted 27 days and the country was not in near the amount of debt. America has 16 Trillion in debt according to the media, but who can always trust the media right? I believe this government shutdown is something that's going to be very long term. I Believe that the shutdown won't let up until next year at the very least.
Do as I say, not as I do.

Atryn Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 1:38:11

It centered on a series of ideas from too big too fail, to debt, and Obamacare/ACA, but claiming Obamacare wasn't a major part of the 2010 election cycle is just woefully naive or intentionally misleading.

We are mincing words here. I said it wasn't the only deciding factor and in many races it wasn't even the main issue. I didn't say it "wasn't a major factor". There were many major factors, and it was one of them.

And the later idea put forward that Americans want a divided government is crazy. I haven't met anyone yet who says "yep, I voted the Dems in the Senate and the Reps in the House because I wanted to make sure the gov't was divided!"

The reason the house is majority republican and the Senate is not has a lot more to do with House Rep district maps vs. Senate statewide elections and, as someone else mentioned, the candidates put forward. It is not Americans "wanting" opposing parties in the two chambers.

On the "settled law" thing - first, there will certainly (as Angel1 pointed out) be more challenges to the law in court. Second, laws can be changed. The philosophical argument here is twofold: whether a CR or a debt limit bill is the proper venue to attempt to make a change in law; and whether the right way to attempt a change in law is the defund it. It makes more sense to attack the law head on, and vote to repeal it. The House did that, and failed... 40+ times? That is where the definition of crazy comes from.

Other law repeals cited herein were not "repealed" or "defunded" in such a process critical to the actual functioning of our government.

Finally, a few folks seem to believe the federal shutdown has little or no impact. You could not be further from the truth. The impact grows daily. There was a great story on NPR this afternoon about CDC disease outbreak monitoring teams - 75% of which are furloughed and an interview on how they would detect, much less handle, a typical outbreak such as we had over the Summer. That is just 1 example from 1 agency.

I've seen and heard far too many idiots who assume that because they don't personally "speak" to Mr. Government everyday about their problems that the government is useless and isn't doing anything. That is BS. We are NOT better off without the FDA, EPA, FCC, SEC and countless other agencies that serve the public good and keep the private sector in check from destroying itself with capitalist greed, negligent apathy or problems simply too complex to detect early without proactive oversight.

To assert otherwise shows an extreme naivete and a serious insult to men and women who daily work to serve the public good and who are currently not getting paid.

Atryn Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 1:39:26

Xinhuan: next week.

Syko: WTF does our debt level have to do with the length of the shutdown?

Atryn Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 2:50:26

mdevol Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 4:01:34

Finally, a few folks seem to believe the federal shutdown has little or no impact. You could not be further from the truth. The impact grows daily. There was a great story on NPR this afternoon about CDC disease outbreak monitoring teams - 75% of which are furloughed and an interview on how they would detect, much less handle, a typical outbreak such as we had over the Summer. That is just 1 example from 1 agency.

I've seen and heard far too many idiots who assume that because they don't personally "speak" to Mr. Government everyday about their problems that the government is useless and isn't doing anything. That is BS. We are NOT better off without the FDA, EPA, FCC, SEC and countless other agencies that serve the public good and keep the private sector in check from destroying itself with capitalist greed, negligent apathy or problems simply too complex to detect early without proactive oversight.

To assert otherwise shows an extreme naivete and a serious insult to men and women who daily work to serve the public good and who are currently not getting paid.

yea, because we cannot possibly take care of ourselves and cannot possibly get a little sick for a couple days and live through it without the govt.

contrary to popular belief people DID survive in this country prior to the agencies you listed, and to claim that the FDA is protecting us, please look up MONSANTO, TYSON , CONAgra, then look up FDA personnel and rulings, and connect the dots....the FDA is just as shady as "weapon of mass destruction"

Additionally, no other administration could screw this govt shut down up anymore than the current one.

They are spending MORE money on barricading and policing the national parks during this shutdown than they do policing and guarding them while they are open. There were more guards at the WWII memorial guarding it from WWII veterans than there were at our embassy in a hostile country. On top of that they have attempted to shut down numerous parks that they have no jurors diction to shut down, privately owned and operated parks that will continue to stay open. To say that the NPS shutdowns are anything but politically motivated is naive.

This president is not leading, he is adding to the division. As much as I didn't agree with his policies, Clinton lead and he did a great job of it. He brought both parties together in times like this and lead. Bush Sr lead. He worked with both branches and made them work together. Hell, even Jr did a decent job of it even after the dems took the senate in 2006.

Atryn Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 13:08:44

yea, because we cannot possibly take care of ourselves and cannot possibly get a little sick for a couple days and live through it without the govt.

contrary to popular belief people DID survive in this country prior to the agencies you listed, and to claim that the FDA is protecting us, please look up MONSANTO, TYSON , CONAgra, then look up FDA personnel and rulings, and connect the dots....the FDA is just as shady as "weapon of mass destruction"

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with naive.

Our world is evolving, in case you didn't notice. You cannot say "well, there was no FDA back in the thirteen colonies so we clearly don't need one now" (I'm exaggerating for emphasis, in case you can't tell). The existence of companies you listed is exactly why we need oversight. If you don't like those companies today, you REALLY wouldn't like them without any regulation, quality control or oversight.

Oh, a drug or tainted food killed thousands? Screw a recall, that would cost money. Let's just make/sell more and cover it up with PR.

Do you have any idea what chaos would ensue without regulation of wireless frequencies? There goes your Wi-Fi. Leave it up to the states? Oh great, now your cell phone works in one state but not another because they regulate the frequencies differently. The states will work together peacefully? Yeah, that's working well with Common Core - a state-led cooperative initiative.

And let's get rid of the EPA, right? I mean we didn't need it back at the start of the industrial era, right? Companies will all do the right thing and understand the impact of their actions on neighboring properties, states, water/air supplies, etc. We can all just trust each other to agree on what is best.

They are spending MORE money on barricading and policing the national parks during this shutdown than they do policing and guarding them while they are open. There were more guards at the WWII memorial guarding it from WWII veterans than there were at our embassy in a hostile country.

Oh, the photo-op bandwagon... having fun there too, eh? Screw the Centers for Disease Control, this is about the WWII Memorial!!! Let's march on the memorial!!!

Guess what, we live in a nation of LAWS. When a LAW is broken, there is a response. Those vets broke the law. More security was added. The NPS and other federal agencies have had contingency plans in place for a government shutdown for years. Everyone knew (and was told on the radio) that government parks would be shutdown. Some people chose to break the law and trespass. That escalated security issues which moved some people (guards) back into the essential category. The NPS is being flat-out manipulated so someone can redirect blame. Oh, you don't like the failure of Congress? Its the National Park Service's fault!!! Look at them!!! Point the camera over there!!! Roll out the sound bites!!!

Dude, you completely fell for it.

trumper Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 13:21:20

It centered on a series of ideas from too big too fail, to debt, and Obamacare/ACA, but claiming Obamacare wasn't a major part of the 2010 election cycle is just woefully naive or intentionally misleading.

We are mincing words here. I said it wasn't the only deciding factor and in many races it wasn't even the main issue. I didn't say it "wasn't a major factor". There were many major factors, and it was one of them.

And the later idea put forward that Americans want a divided government is crazy. I haven't met anyone yet who says "yep, I voted the Dems in the Senate and the Reps in the House because I wanted to make sure the gov't was divided!"

The reason the house is majority republican and the Senate is not has a lot more to do with House Rep district maps vs. Senate statewide elections and, as someone else mentioned, the candidates put forward. It is not Americans "wanting" opposing parties in the two chambers.

On the "settled law" thing - first, there will certainly (as Angel1 pointed out) be more challenges to the law in court. Second, laws can be changed. The philosophical argument here is twofold: whether a CR or a debt limit bill is the proper venue to attempt to make a change in law; and whether the right way to attempt a change in law is the defund it. It makes more sense to attack the law head on, and vote to repeal it. The House did that, and failed... 40+ times? That is where the definition of crazy comes from.

Other law repeals cited herein were not "repealed" or "defunded" in such a process critical to the actual functioning of our government.

Ticket splitting is quite real. It may not make sense to, but trust me if you do private polling and drop big money in several tossup districsts, you will encounter a significant amount of it. I would still argue Obamacare was a major part of the 2010 elections, but sure, there were certainly other elements. Polling wise the two big items were jobs and Obamacare.

Anyway, the reason I brought up 2010 before was because the defense was put out there that 2012 was a referendum election on Obamacare. It's hard to argueu 2012 was a referendum, but somehow 2010 wasn't.

As for venues, one can certainly debate it. Of course it's not the first or likely last time the CR or a budget has been a focal point of major disagreement.

Yes, there are critical functions performed by government. There are also major flaws. Did NPR run a story on use it or lose it? It's got to be one of the biggest scams out there and typically accounts for nearly 5-9% of every federal agency's budget. Of course in the end of the day, discretionary domestic spending has nothing against defense and entitlements.

What you're circling on is the problem of using a leverage point to address the big picture items (appears to be Boehner's tactic that Ted Cruz semi-hijacked). Saying it's the wrong approach. Some would argue that every other approach has failed. I mean take a look at what happened to poor Ron Wyden when he dared to agree with Paul Ryan--totally trashed by his own party. The point being that the music will stop and the longer we wait, the more painful it becomes. If Boehner, et al were able to accomplish significant structure reforms from all of this, then I would consider it well worthwhile.

Oceana Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 14:58:56

Mil was pay'd and for OCT 1st never was a question as to them being pay'd only will it come to play will be when we hit the debt ceiling...
non essential personnel , it is actually illegal for them to be working, and that includes those who just feel like doing it out of the kindness of their heart.

come about the 17th is when trouble begins. hope those for fluff for brains can take those heads out of their asses by then.

trumper Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 18:08:38

Originally posted by Oceana:
Mil was pay'd and for OCT 1st never was a question as to them being pay'd only will it come to play will be when we hit the debt ceiling...
non essential personnel , it is actually illegal for them to be working, and that includes those who just feel like doing it out of the kindness of their heart.

come about the 17th is when trouble begins. hope those for fluff for brains can take those heads out of their asses by then.

While still not technically paid, I heard from a few folks that the House is going to drop a bill either this weekend or early next week to gurantee backpay to all those furloughed. Of course, who knows where that goes given all the other mini-CRs were shot down.

The word on the street is they won't allow the debt ceiling to become an issue unless the President says he won't sign a debt ceiling increase without a CR (doubtful, but possible in the high stakes brinkmanship games). The question is less if the debt ceiling will be extended, it's for how long (much).

Syko_Killa Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 18:51:09

Debt has everything to do with the shutdown you retard, its the reason the government shutdown in the first place. It means that the government will have to come up with a budget that is going to allow us to pay off our debt. The more money that's owed the longer its going to be too come up with an effective plan to pay it all off.

mrford Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 18:58:21

you poor poor person. you are too simple minded to figure it out arnt you?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Twain Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 18:59:09

Originally posted by Syko_Killa:
Debt has everything to do with the shutdown you retard, its the reason the government shutdown in the first place. It means that the government will have to come up with a budget that is going to allow us to pay off our debt. The more money that's owed the longer its going to be too come up with an effective plan to pay it all off.

It really doesn't have anything to do with the shutdown. We're not in a government shutdown because we went too much into debt or because we're running a deficit. We're in a shutdown because Congress (as a whole) has chosen not to pass a budget. That's the simple answer.

They could put forth a budget that includes more deficit spending (therefore driving up the debt) and the shutdown would stop. In fact, that's almost definitely what will happen, as we are cutting out deficits the past few years, but we're still running a deficit.

Syko_Killa Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 19:04:35

Yes but a budget includes paying off debt! Yes, how much can be spent, so you know how much you have to pay off debt.

Makolyte Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 19:06:20

Mak's Debt Payment Plan That Will Lead to WWIII:
1. Only pay back domestically owned debt
2. Park a few carrier groups off of China's coast
3. Ask them if they have a problem with not getting paid back
Alliance: VP of Death Knights
FFA: XI warrior

Twain Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 19:08:40

The national government doesn't have to be constrained by paying off debt.

The reason we have a national debt is because we take investments from other countries and even our own citizens (when you buy savings bonds, you're actually investing in the United States).

We're not going to be paying down the debt this year. We're going to be running a deficit (accruing MORE debt). If your point is something other than this, then I'm missing what you're trying to get at. But again, if you think paying down our debt is a requirement for the government to start working again, then you simply are mistaken on how this all works.

Syko_Killa Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 19:20:59

Twain I am looking at the long term, the budget isn't for the remainder of the year, it will last years, how long? I am not sure. I agree we will have to run a deficit for sometime. If Clinton could leave this nation in a surplus, I don't see why it cant happen again.

trumper Game profile

Oct 4th 2013, 21:11:16

Originally posted by Twain:
Originally posted by Syko_Killa:

It really doesn't have anything to do with the shutdown. We're not in a government shutdown because we went too much into debt or because we're running a deficit. We're in a shutdown because Congress (as a whole) has chosen not to pass a budget. That's the simple answer.

They could put forth a budget that includes more deficit spending (therefore driving up the debt) and the shutdown would stop. In fact, that's almost definitely what will happen, as we are cutting out deficits the past few years, but we're still running a deficit.

Correct, just substitute the word appropriations for budget. Technically both chambers passed "budgets" this year, which is inside-the-beltway parlance for spending policy documents (guidance), not actual appropriations. (Think Ryan Budget).

But your point is correct. The shutdown is triggered by a failure to pass adequate appropriations.