Verified:

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 19th 2010, 10:25:57

This thread seems to have, pretty much, run its course without me... but I don't think you can ever have too many people saying this.

Vaccinations are an important part of maintaining a healthy population base. The diseases they fight have not been eradicated, and will return if a sufficient percentage of the population goes un-vaccinated.

I don't believe that there is sufficient reason to believe that vaccinations cause or contribute to any long-term health concerns. However, even if there is truth to those claims, it's in a minute number of cases compared to the issues caused by the diseases those vaccinations protect against.

I personally have very little respect for parents who choose not to vaccinate their children due to perceived risks. I say this because it is the fact that others get those vaccinations which protect the unvaccinated from the diseases. To allow others to run risks and benefit from it, while not being willing to take those risks yourself is an abuse of society.

It's the same problem I have (though on a different scale) with drivers who choose to by-pass traffic jams by driving along the hard shoulder. It's only an advantage because everyone else is fulfilling their responsibility and not using the hard shoulder.

If there is a risk in vaccinations, it's far far less than that of a large unvaccinated population. To refuse vaccination because of those minor risks, while still benefiting from the fact that most of society took them, is a betrayal of society.

There are exceptions to this sentiment. I have no problem with the decision your brother and his wife made, Revolver, after the first vaccination of their daughter. Equally, I would never tell a parent who had a child with a disorder which they attributed to a vaccine that they were irresponsible for not vaccinating later children. I would even understand if you, with a family member who reacted poorly to a vaccine, chose not to give them to your child.

But in large, I think that to refuse to vaccinate a child is reprehensible.

I'd like to say at this point that I personally hate needles, I have a severe phobia. There have been times when I've passed-out, convulsed, and stopped breathing for well over a minute when I've gone to get them. Right now, even writing about this, I'm on the verge of a panic attack. Even if I stay conscious, when I go to get any kind of needle I can't walk for at least an hour afterwards and will lie there shivering in a cold sweat. After writing this post, that's likely what's going to happen to me. I'm going to lie in bed shaking.

Despite my extreme reactions, I still get major vaccinations on schedule (the only common one I don't get is the annual flu shot) and think that this issue is important enough that I've taken the time to write this post and express this sentiment even though the next hour of my life (as I come down off this panic attack) is likely to be the most unpleasent experience I've had in several months. Vaccinations are important. I'd discourage anyone without direct reason to suspect a higher than usual chance of complications from even considering forgoing them.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

archaic Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 1:56:39

Wow foog, your posts are consistantly much longer than mine. This makes me feel inadequate.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 7:08:46

Brevity is a trait I envy in others.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Oct 20th 2010, 17:14:11

Originally posted by qzjul:
anti-the-earth-is-a-sphere stuff.

technically, the earth bulges at the equator. not a sphere.
maybe it'd be more spherical if it didn't spin but that'd mess with other things.

:)

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 20th 2010, 19:17:24

doh you got me.... it's a sphere that some galactic entity sat on! haha

i was going to say like a spinning water baloon except those still sag due to gravity...

stupid gravity....

like a spinning water baloon in one of those zero G planes!
Finally did the signature thing.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 19:23:01

Originally posted by qzjul:
doh you got me.... it's a sphere that some galactic entity sat on! haha

i was going to say like a spinning water baloon except those still sag due to gravity...

stupid gravity....

like a spinning water baloon in one of those zero G planes!

You could just describe it as what it is... an oblate spheroid ;)

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Revolver Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 19:39:00

our son received his first vaccine today.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 20th 2010, 19:46:30

did you steal his lollipop?
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Chewi Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 19:57:38

Originally posted by Viceroy:
This thread amuses me. So much hate for the Anti-Vac crowd because there is no credible link yet to autism, ADHD, et al. Doesn't this work both ways? Do we have scientific proof that the current vaccine regimen isn't responsible for the increased rates of autism?

After all, pharmaceutical companies would never doctor data to make their drugs more appealing.

Rather than blindly following the current societal norm, Revolver's family appears to be approaching this issue intelligently - gathering the necessary data and making an informed opinion for themselves. I commend this approach.

Wouldn't the pharmaceutical companies benefit from increased diagnosis of autism, and ADHD due to the medications used for them?

Unless that's what they planned all along!!!! =P

Bsnake Game profile

Oct 22nd 2010, 8:32:24

Revolver - hope the young fella didn't cry too much :)

i refused to take my girl after 2...... couldn't watch her get jabbed lol.....
<bsnake> 68,270,386 turrets whats that in NW??
<Crippler> 115m NW
<Bsnake> 38 mill NW nub... thanks for your netting advice.. Stick to killing nub

Revolver Game profile

Oct 22nd 2010, 8:38:23

My wife was the 1 holding him for the Hepatitis B vaccine! From now on, I am the one that will do it .. I hate it..

I had to cut myself from feeling for him. Instead, as soon as he was starting to cry, I entertained him and he stopped crying after 2 seconds. I guess I'll have to do it next times aswell.. errr.

Bsnake Game profile

Oct 22nd 2010, 8:40:31

hahaha thats y i got stuck with the job lol....

i manged to get her to stop crying, so got stuck with it lol....
<bsnake> 68,270,386 turrets whats that in NW??
<Crippler> 115m NW
<Bsnake> 38 mill NW nub... thanks for your netting advice.. Stick to killing nub

Dragonlance Game profile

Oct 22nd 2010, 8:51:07

My grandfather had polio.

i will be ensuring that every child i ever have gets all the available necessary vaccinations.

to not do so is negligent parenting in my mind. and negligent for society as a whole.

Viceroy Game profile

Oct 22nd 2010, 9:28:07

If you believe that parents are negligent if they do not vaccinate their children, does it follow that you are in favor of the government dictating which vaccines we receive at the intervals at which we receive them?

EDIT: This is kind of a non-sequitur to the above, but are all health care providers 100% on board with the current vaccine regimen in it current form and its just helicopter parents rocking the boat? Or are there differing opinions within the actual medical community itself about when to administer which vaccines?

Edited By: Viceroy on Oct 22nd 2010, 9:33:42
See Original Post
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

archaic Game profile

Oct 22nd 2010, 14:16:15

If you believe that parents are negligent if they do not vaccinate their children, does it follow that you are in favor of the government dictating which vaccines we receive at the intervals at which we receive them?

EDIT: This is kind of a non-sequitur to the above, but are all health care providers 100% on board with the current vaccine regimen in it current form and its just helicopter parents rocking the boat? Or are there differing opinions within the actual medical community itself about when to administer which vaccines?

Actually, they pretty much are. I have never seen a pediatrician or epidemiologist riding with the anti-vac crowd. As for the dictated vaccine intervals, they are based primarily on research. Some vaccines are not suitable for certain ages, some require multiple doses to acheive the desired results, and some are based on risk assessment - i.e. at which ages are more or less likely to be exposed to various diseases.

A lot of thought goes into determining when and to whom a vaccine regiman is applied. It changes all the time as technology and knowledge improves. Folks my age and older probably remember the star-shaped TB vaccine scar a lot of kids used to have when we were little. That vaccine was replaced years ago. Right now, my kids are getting more and more vaccines in a nasal aerosol instead of a shot. I wish I could have gotten a lot of the vaccines my kids get.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 22nd 2010, 18:29:47

I've never heard of a health care provider who thought vaccines were a bad idea -- but I assume they must exist. Given the number of doctors and nurses in the world, and the size of the anti-vaccine crowd, I would be shocked if there weren't some. Much like how you can find several hundred engineers/architects who claim that the WTC collapse was controlled demolition. In any sufficiently large group of people, regardless of expertise, there will be conspiracy theorists.

As far as debate over vaccine regimens... there's lots. Every country in the world has its own recommended vaccination regimen. A lot of the debate is over economics (do we need the 99.8% effective vaccination when the 98.5% effective one costs 1/10 the amount?), or whether you should wait 6 or 7 years before a booster for a specific shot... or if it's better to get the shot that's 95% effective for life, or the one that needs a booster every 5 years until you're 20 but it 98% effective. Of course, iatrogenic infection is also part of the debate.

But debate over how to vaccinate is very different from a debate over whether to vaccinate.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Loafer Game profile

Oct 22nd 2010, 18:44:58

+1 for fooglemogs long post above.