Klown Game profile

Jul 27th 2012, 11:34:51

Frodo Game profile

Jul 27th 2012, 13:07:11

Originally posted by Pontius Pirate:
Originally posted by Frodo:
Originally posted by bertz:
Originally posted by BobbyATA:
this question is in no way a measure of math ability.

If you can't even get that easy problem, then you're plain stupid in math

U mad bro? It's a trick question, chill.
how on earth is it a trick question?

edit: order of operations and working from left to right without parenthesis should have been taught to you in like 3rd or 4th grade. still don't understand the "trick" here

What i meant by trick is that if you just glance at it without studying it you can be "tricked" into thinking it is 0 because people read from left to right, obviously it is an extremely simple problem but the point of the question is not to judge your ability in math, but to see if you actually fully read the question.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 27th 2012, 14:02:53

edit: order of operations and working from left to right without parenthesis should have been taught to you in like 3rd or 4th grade. still don't understand the "trick" here

What i meant by trick is that if you just glance at it without studying it you can be "tricked" into thinking it is 0 because people read from left to right, obviously it is an extremely simple problem but the point of the question is not to judge your ability in math, but to see if you actually fully read the question.

Frodo quit being so logical. It makes me sick.

Frodo Game profile

Jul 27th 2012, 18:02:33

haha

archaic Game profile

Jul 27th 2012, 18:28:15

Hmmm, I count 8 5s, so it must be 40. I don't have time to bother looking at all of those little plus-minus thingys between the numbers. Multiplication has served me well for 40 years, why mess with a good thing?
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

lymz Game profile

Jul 27th 2012, 18:54:13

PEMDAS
Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.
Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.

5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 = ?
5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + (5 x 0) = ?
15 + 0 = ?
15!

Mr Emerald

Jul 27th 2012, 20:27:32

Originally posted by locket:
lol... is she good looking? If not then she is fluffed in only the bad ways. How many replies did you get?

I got quite a few replies, but only a few answered even. The girl just kept insisting that the answer was 0 because you go from left to right. I kept telling her to use BEDMAS, and she insisted that it doesn't apply. I got one of my buddies to respond with the correct answer and she has been quiet since :)
We are not the same, I am martian!
you are all retarded in the eyes of fluff
o o
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER TEDDY BEAR!!!

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 27th 2012, 23:32:12

????

Are we on some sort of different level of math instincts??!?! I never even had the slightest impulse to apply the 0 to anything other than what's next to it, reading left from right and very quickly. you see the plus sign, you understand it's a separate term and the multiplication doesn't filter through.
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Frodo Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 2:21:17

@Pontius Pirate
I think both of us are over analyzing this haha

braden Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 2:45:35

Okey, How could anyone forget MDAS? :P (forgive me for my bad english)

i'll forgive you your poor english if you forgive me my poor math :P

and to defend myself against pps not understanding basic arithmetic comment, i'd like to point out i corrected my own damn self before a single person other than locket and myself had posted on this thread.. so i was wrong, but i was also right. i just had to look twice. I play to my strengths, and math isn't at all one of them :P

Pain Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 2:45:53

????

Are we on some sort of different level of math instincts??!?! I never even had the slightest impulse to apply the 0 to anything other than what's next to it, reading left from right and very quickly. you see the plus sign, you understand it's a separate term and the multiplication doesn't filter through.

i think what he was trying to say is people see the *0 at the end and just assume because a number multiplied by 0 is 0 that they dont even read the rest.
Your mother is a nice woman

Frodo Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 3:12:25

^ this guy gets it haha

braden Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 3:14:51

exactly what happened to me before i realized it was too easyand actually *thought*

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 28th 2012, 15:46:51

lol k :P

for me the *0 was obvious, the only "issue" I had was whether it was 15 or 20, because doing the arithmetic quickly you always suspect you could have added something wrong
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Purposeful1 Game profile

Jul 28th 2012, 17:26:55

Originally posted by Son Goku:
PEMDAS

you mean, Please excuse my dear aunt sally?

edit: oh, lymz beat me to it.
Purposeful1

Mr Emerald

Jul 29th 2012, 2:45:22

for me the *0 was obvious, the only "issue" I had was whether it was 15 or 20, because doing the arithmetic quickly you always suspect you could have added something wrong

At least you people realize when you are in the wrong. The girl on my FB is terrible.
We are not the same, I am martian!
you are all retarded in the eyes of fluff
o o
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER TEDDY BEAR!!!

Frodo Game profile

Jul 29th 2012, 3:19:09

Originally posted by Mr Emerald:

At least you people realize when you are in the wrong. The girl on my FB is terrible.

Yeah it is really annoying when people are wrong and are to proud/stubborn/stupid to even listen to someone else who has a different opinion.

iNouda Game profile

Jul 29th 2012, 18:33:37

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 29th 2012, 20:44:03

I was in an exclusive club called PEN15.

It wasn't math related though.

locket Game profile

Jul 29th 2012, 23:34:55

omg iNouda. So that guy suggests that because some people find algebra hard that they should make the entire system easier to get more to graduate?(I only skimmed it) We could just teach the same content every year and pay people and then everyone would graduate too. Man... and algebra being the main reason for failure? Algebra was the single easiest time I ever had in math. fluff....

miniii Game profile

Jul 29th 2012, 23:54:54

hilarious article lol, what has america come to

bertz Game profile

Jul 30th 2012, 2:59:39

Originally posted by locket:
omg iNouda. So that guy suggests that because some people find algebra hard that they should make the entire system easier to get more to graduate?(I only skimmed it) We could just teach the same content every year and pay people and then everyone would graduate too. Man... and algebra being the main reason for failure? Algebra was the single easiest time I ever had in math. fluff....

LOL, was skimming too. And I did not like his point. LOL

hawkeyee Game profile

Jul 30th 2012, 5:34:17

How is it a trick question? It's basic arithmetic. I would expect my grade 3 students to be able to answer this.
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)