Verified:

AndrewMose Game profile

Jan 20th 2012, 14:55:59

I was wondering at what point it is best for a C/I to stop selling on private market and start selling on the public market.

I realize it depends on how many turns are being played each day, and it could be very different for express.

JJ23 Game profile

Jan 20th 2012, 17:53:13

i stop selling on PM after 60 turns or so... because turrets at 54 is definitely not worth it.
Originally posted by blid:
The way my 30m got busted was the ultimate in nobility and self-sacrifice because I could have simply canceled the alliance but I was too big a person to do so.

Marshal Game profile

Jan 20th 2012, 19:56:37

i would finace building with bushels but each on their own.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

AndrewMose Game profile

Jan 20th 2012, 21:07:29

Originally posted by JJ23:
i stop selling on PM after 60 turns or so... because turrets at 54 is definitely not worth it.

This is what I have traditionally done. However I was reconsidering based on the cost of waisting a turn to sell on public. Essentially every turn you waste whle growing costs you a full turn stocking

JJ23 Game profile

Jan 21st 2012, 5:04:03

if you are a good enough grabber that one turn wasted wont be too bad. plus, as a commie, theres no real such thing as a complete waste of turn because every turn you are producing your units., like farmer and casher. only techers waste turns.
Originally posted by blid:
The way my 30m got busted was the ultimate in nobility and self-sacrifice because I could have simply canceled the alliance but I was too big a person to do so.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jan 22nd 2012, 10:33:49

Don't over-optimize the minor stuff. How you finish largely depends on how well you grab and avoid being topfed/retalled, and not because of the 3 turns you saved during your 200 turn startup.

br3nt00 Game profile

Aug 18th 2012, 18:23:36

i am having huge trouble playing commy indy. i see people finishing with 30mil and theres no way im getting even close.

i thought it was just make hits, build indys, sell mil, maybe buy some tech, profit.

im way off??

first reset playing commy indy. do i need to build res labs to tech on my own? like only a portion of the land?

heh i need help bad

Marshal Game profile

Aug 18th 2012, 18:41:20

you need to sell twice a day as indy to get alot money and also spend excess money (after buying oil and techs and building up) to bushels and put those to market (keeping enuf money and bushels in hand for 2-3 days turns in that case your stuff didn't sell and you need to wait day or 2 for your goods to sell after you recalled those and put those back to market.

as indy you don't build anything else than indies (unless you are grabbing and oil is skyrocketing then you could build some rigs (~200) but basially your country has only indies besides cs's).

qwertyh Game profile

Aug 18th 2012, 19:00:13

Originally posted by AndrewMose:
Originally posted by JJ23:

This is what I have traditionally done. However I was reconsidering based on the cost of wasting a turn to sell on public. Essentially every turn you waste whle growing costs you a full turn stocking

I don't know what you guys meant by that..at 60turns, I am still mostly CSes.

I agree with Xinhuan. Don't worry too much about how to start up unless you are doing it clearly wrong. (Do a 40-60CS start and just build Indys and some farms for food and sell units on private market until you have about 350-500 I/Cs).

I agree with Xinhuan. The biggest help for you is probably improving your grabbing skills and get a better grasp of the in-game dynamics and the typical market trends.

Supertodd Game profile

Aug 23rd 2012, 0:49:20

I've always used a strategy that gradually builds indies and CS alongside each other. The oversimplified version is basically, build CS til you reach a BPT of 10, then build a couple turns of indies. Now at this point, you start playing one turn at a time, producing 100% turrets, and selling what you produce after each and every turn. This start-up has been tried and true since the very beginning of the game. As long as you're not lazy, there's really not a way to botch it.

Build 4 cs (1 at a time) then 11 indies, keep up that pattern. Every time you gain one more BPT, build a turn or two worth of indies.

It is a little bit tedious, but pays off with a decent BPT OOP, and up to about 1.5 million cash on hand. I always stopped selling on private market at somewhere between turn 75 and 85.

Last time I played, I had it optimized for best BPT and starting cash, but that was a long time ago and I've forgotten most of it. My most recent start, doing it just by feel, had me at 1.2 milllion cash OOP.

and br3nt00, definitely, absolutely don't try to produce your own tech as an indy. It's just a massive waste. You're better off either building up your indy tech level slowly through buying, or forego land growth for a few days and instead put the money you would have spent on building into tech.

br3nt00 Game profile

Aug 24th 2012, 23:30:11

pretty sure best private market bang for ur buck is spies. and as for ur strategy i think that falls behind quite early using ur first 80 turns buliding CS's then start building indy's. ive done a spreadsheet on it and in the longrun its a shoe-in.

Supertodd Game profile

Sep 1st 2012, 2:26:05

Hey br3nt00. I don't know for certain that my startup strategy is the best there is. I know it works for me, but that also has something to do with how I've always played.

I do know for certain that selling turrets while under protection is superior to selling spies. There's an easy way to check this for yourself if you want. Spend one turn on CS or cashing or something with production set to 100% spies. Then do the same with 100% turrets and look at how much the amounts produced will bring on your private market.

Spies used to provide the most money on the private market, but that was a very very very long time ago.

Tin Man

Sep 1st 2012, 13:09:11

turrets give best bang for your buck

blid

EE Patron

Sep 1st 2012, 18:17:18

I remember when it used to be spies
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

br3nt00 Game profile

Sep 2nd 2012, 13:14:19

ah ok. that is good to know though. thanks!

Xinhuan Game profile

Sep 2nd 2012, 15:30:22

Originally posted by br3nt00:
pretty sure best private market bang for ur buck is spies. and as for ur strategy i think that falls behind quite early using ur first 80 turns buliding CS's then start building indy's. ive done a spreadsheet on it and in the longrun its a shoe-in.

Spies give the least (=best) NW loss per money gained.

You might be confusing this with Turrets being the best Money gained per acre of industrial, if using the PM prices.

Pixmo Game profile

Sep 2nd 2012, 16:33:56

All depends on how you look at it. THe upkeep cost for jets are much lower than for turrets.

Marshal Game profile

Sep 2nd 2012, 19:34:42

0.04 isn't much, jets 0.14 vs turrets 0.18.

h2orich Game profile

Sep 6th 2012, 5:21:30

I thought it was 0.13 vs 0.17?

Marshal Game profile

Sep 6th 2012, 12:36:47

.14 and .18 in wiki

afaik Game profile

Sep 7th 2012, 8:38:43

0.04 is significant either way (I agree with pixmo).

last set in primary I destocked early with turrets to minimise the total cost of a retal (delay it until after my destock). this meant i carried aprox 35m+ more turrets than normal for the end of stocking and then the entire destocking period, much more than 400 turns.

0.04 x 35m x 400+ turns = probably a significant amount of resource, by almost anyone's standards in this game. it was much better than the alternative though.

thesaint Game profile

Sep 12th 2012, 16:05:53

supertodd is on the money, it never fails me. at least in the beginning. it's a fast startup. also, dont be to eager in the beginning to grab. amass units first and explore all u can until ur explore level is down, then u can start grabbing...works for me fine
TheSaintofVenus

vatzooland

Sep 13th 2012, 13:52:26

supertodd is right

h2orich Game profile

Sep 17th 2012, 7:42:49

afaik, 0.04 * 35 * 400 turns = 560m cash = approx 2-3mil more networth.. its better worth staying off a retal/topfeed without this 2-3mil more networth.