Verified:

myrddn Game profile

Jun 5th 2019, 3:36:18

Flinolfin's Indy Strategy
Strategy 101: The Industrialist
Story By: Fingolfin -- Posted On: 8/15/00

As everyone should be a aware the best starting strategy out of the gates is an industrialist. Let's get into the upside and downsides of being an industrialist
What is industrial production?
For every industrial building a country can produce either:
(2.5 troops, 2 turrets, 2 jets, .5 tank, or .5 spies) * tech percentage * gov bonus

so a monarchy with 100% industrial production and 100 industrial buildings produces 200 jets a turn or 250 troops or 50 tanks

The only government with a production bonus at this time is the communist with 125% or 1.25 production advantage

The industrial buildings are not effected by their % of buildings vs land. This formula is the same no matter what.

How to play an industrialist in the early stages

I personally only build troops or tanks. These have a slightly higher cost to maintain but provide a well needed offense AND defense in the early going.

An important consideration is that you MUST put up for sale at least 5000 of a miltary unit on the market so ensure that you will have enough to go to market. I typically start out with troops only till I get 20k for the market then change my production to 25% troops and 75% tanks. I start building troops around turn 75 so I have an offense coming out of protection. If you followed my start up strategy you will have less land than most around you and will have the infrastructure in place for rapid growth

After getting to 20k tanks I change my production to a more normal mix of spies/troops/turrets/tanks. Why do this? Well you can buy troops for about 95, turrets/jets for 120, and tanks for 480 on the market in the early part of the game. The cash equevalent of your production is 237.5 for troops, 240 for turrets/jets and 240 for tanks so no one military type is better to produce than another.. I like a balanced military for my country so I am not vulnerable in any area.

I personally don't grab till I am up to about 500 acres. A typical grab of a 400 acre country will get you 25 acres, 10 building, and about $5000 in cash/tech/food for two turns and you lose about 400 troops. It isn't worth it. Take the two turns and explore 1 and build 1 and you are better off. Once I am to about 500 acres I look around me in the scores page and see a ton of 700-800 acre countries. If these countries are offensive you can blow them away with your military and take 50 acres, 20 buldings, and about $10k of other stuff while losing about 1000 troops/jets. This is worth it. At 500 acres you should have about 150 CS and 300 industrial with a little oil/farm.

So Attack, Attack, Attack till you are at about 3000 acres. Building only industrial buildings and if the bushels are above$5 some farms if not buy them from the market. Every time you need to regain readiness build 4 CS sites. If you are picking good targets you should be back at 100% readiness easily after 2 turns of building on your new land and the 4 CS sites.

All this while you have been selling 25% of your military on the market to fund your expansion

Uh Oh Problem Time!

Your there at 3000 acres and realize you don't have the money to build with AND buy tech with so what do you do? This is the major problem with industrialist now. When we could sell 33% of the military we could afford massive building efforts and buying of tech now we have to choose one or the other.

The short term solution is to keep building. This way you will get the maximum production possible with the largest land amount possible but eventually you will get into problems with the every increasing cost of military and lack of certain important technologies like SDI

The best solution if you want to be a true industrialist seems to be this. Don't build. That's right don't build. How does that work you ask? Simple. Everytime you grab you get buildings and empty land from your target. Focus all your landgrabs on fellow industrialist (the spies you are building get real important here) and take their industry buldings. In order to gain the same amount of built upon land as you would have by the conventional method you will have to do twice the amount of grabs. This sucks up a lot of your military production but the upside is you are gaining tech to compensate for it because you have used almost all your proceeds from your military sells to purchase tech.

If you start to get landfat drop the empty land to slim down

End Game

There isn't a lot for the industrialist to change during the game. Once you get your tech high enough you can slow down on your grabs because you need less tech and can afford to build some buildings again.

I will tell you that due to the market restrictions I cannot find a way for a pure industrialist to compete for top rankings. An industrial strategy should now be reserved for the fighters of the UCN only.

When the end is near however you will want to blow out your non essential tech (health, ag, spy) and some of your essential tech to buy more military to boost your networth.

Is there an alternative industrial strat to this?

Funny you should ask me this. I have been number crunching and think that an industrialist might be better off running a mixed strategy. I know that goes against all conventional wisdom but here me out.

A techer is only GREAT if nearly all it's buildings are research labs because their production is based on it's % of labs/land. But a little dab might do you as an industrialist.

If after 3000 acrss you start converting to 1/3rd labs, 2/3rd industrial i think you will find you can keep up better. Some basic formulas to know

Tech production= labs * .17 * (1+labs/land) + 3
Industry production = 2.5 troops, 2 turrets/jets, .5 tanks, or .5 spies per building * tech% * gov bonus

Let me give you a conventional 3000 acre industrialist country building plan.
260 CS
20 Oil rigs
20 farms
2700 Industrial
(I am assuming low bushel $ so few farms)

What is he producing? Lets say he was all offense and only builds jets to make it simple
this person makes 2700 industrial * 2 jets a building = 5400 jets a turn * 48 turns a day (36 regular turns, 6 turn 18 hour bonus, 3 free turns, 3 more turns) = 259200 jets a day. He sells his 25% of these on the market for a net amount of 115 a jet (market tax) and he has 7.452 million cash a day plus 194,400 jets left as military. Enough to either buy tech or build the next day. Not both because at 3000 acres it cost you (consruction cost per acre = (3 * acres) + 1500 ) 10.5k a building. To build 500 new buildings you are looking at 5.25 million to build.

*** I am really simplifying this for you. The factors I am leaving out are: loss of military per attack, possible income shortfall from military expenses, market variation, cash gained from attacks, a ton of little items)

So here are the three ways to get to 6000 acres

1. Attack more and don't build. This will cost you twice the losses in military (let's assume each attack costs you 7000 jets) Most people attack 4 times a day who are industrialists. So now you got to do 8. So you are losing 56k jets a day while only building somewhere between 259k and 537k (2700 industry to 5600 industr) jets a day. So your average production is bout 400k jets a day - 56k jets lost. 344k jets net. You sell your max 25% on the market for 9.89 million and keep 1 million to run your country and 8.89 million goes into the tech at 2600 per tech for a total of 3400 tech a day. Your sum total median gain a day is net 3400 tech and 258k military to go with your proceeds of your 8 grabs (these 8 grabs equal 4 grabs built on so no need to compute that)

2. Regular way. You attack 4 times lossing 28k jets. you produce the same 400k jets median with a net of 372k *.25 on the market leaves 279k jets and market proceeds of 10.6 million - cost of building. (if you are attacking countries about 2000 acres you are getting 100 free acres and 50 buildings approx. The 4th attack of course should be a planned attack with up to 75% of your jets so assume 500 empty acres and 250 buildings total) to build on the 500 acres with a median per building cost of 15000 per building is 7.5 million. you have around 2 million to buy tech with which is about 769 tech. Summary is 769 tech and 279k jets for a days work

3. 1/3 tech, 2/3 industry. You are going to to grow to only 4000 industry and about 1500 tech. so your industrial production per day is between 259k and 384k with a median of 320k - 4 attack loss of 28k = 292k -25% to market = 219k and 8.39 million cash - bulding 500 building at 7.5 million leaves .9 million to run your country. so net from the industrial side is 219k jets.

now for the tech side. you are growing your labs from 0 to 1500 with a median of 750 labs vs an average land of 4500. so the formula is 750labs * .17 * (1+ 750/4500)+3 = 151 tech per turn. you are going to be attacking 8 turns + building about 6 turns + buildiing 4 new CS a day 20 turns. so you can tech 28. 28 *151 = 4228 tech. total summary is 4228 tech and 219 jets

comparision in growing from 3000 to 6000 acres

100% industry - 8 attacks - no building 258k jets a day on average 3400 tech a day on average
100% industry - 4 attacks - full building 279k jets a day on average 769 tech a day
67% industry/33% labs - 4 attacks - full building 219k jets a day on average 4428 tech a day
The choice is up to you but I am leaning towards the mixed strategy as being the better industrialist strategy now.