Verified:

Drow Game profile

Mar 3rd 2020, 23:08:16

Originally posted by Gerdler:
Originally posted by Drow:
I disagree that 9 out fo the last 10 changes have damaged netters gerdler. only hacve to look at the what 1 billion NW final score of the top player last set?
the fact that 100 million wasn't even enough to net top 50?
100 mil used to be a target that only the very best netters, working their arses off, and using FA chains, could hit. now even a mediocre netter such as myself can hit it. That's the game being tuned to favour netgainers, plain and simple.
Now you can make claims about "arbitrary numbers and values" all you want, but the facts stand on their own, that the numbers have gotten bigger as the game has been changed to benefit those netgaining. Yes, it increases the rsik from suiciders, but that is very definitely an unintended side effect of those changes.

The issue with the game dying has more to do with the remaining playerbase, and the age of the game, and the predominance of certain tactics, than it does with any bias towards netting or warring. The casual players had basically all left when I retired 5 years ago, and it's the dedicated vets who have kept the game limping along. Now the vets are getting burned out, bored, done, having RL to attend to, and the numbers die harder and harder, and I don't think anything is going to change on that front.

You just have to get used to the new numbers.

Either way I strongly oppose the premise that all changes that increase the NWs are inherently good for netting/good for netters or vice versa.
Thats like saying that if they changed the GS, BR and AB attacks so that it took only one to kill a country it would be good for warring. It would certainly be bad for warring.

You have a very simplistic view on the game. I advise you broaden it. Participate in a real war once, and try to master netgaining once. Maybe your eyes will open.

The bots have had many changes, most recently their defences were increased massively, which reduced NWs and favored netting, because stronger grabbers will now distinguish themselves from average grabbers, such as happened last set:

1 Free Crimea too (#373) 120 $1,020,919,469 H LaF = 5 DH(Defence held SS/PS)
2 Myke Hunt Hurtz (#6) Game profile 24 $709,272,872 HG LaF = 11 DH
3 Advocate of Freedom (#396) 24 $687,979,361 HG LaF = 15 DH
4 nervous neon names narcs neuroma (#20) 14,555 $646,000,000 HG MONSTERS = 27 DH
5 We Are the Singularity (#432) 213 $604,280,086 H LaF = 30 DH

https://www.eestats.com/alliance/oldranks/1960

This is quite a perfect example. Other factors certainly play an important role as well but the number of DHs reflect very well the effort put into grabbing. Effort also translates to gains in other areas. But the DHs would have looked completely different before the increase of bot defences.
Which is my point; higher bot defence leads to the best netter winning. Therefore, the change is good for netting despite obviously lowering the NWs across the board.

The overall trend tho from the changes back in 2012-2014 and the changes made since the bot era is that a warring country and a netting country will look increasingly different. This is something warring people seem to oppose on a broad front. Netters(me in particular), completely agree with the warring people in this, but netters have no choice, if you want to play for top ranks you have to play without spies or much defence or the race is lost.
-Clan GDI was suggested to help change that, but it was broadly opposed by a lot of people, I was always for it. (favors netting despite obviously lowering NWs)
-Bot retals may be a step towards fixing it, another change suggestion I'm for (that imo favors netting despite obviously lowering NWs)

I have argued for fewer bots(which with current changeset I no longer think is neccessary), I have argued for greatly reducing the amount of units created by burning oil or alternatively changing the oil burning mechanism. These are all suggestions that would noticeably reduce the NWs in 1a across the board. And I suggested them for no other reason than to create a better netting environment in 1a. So if implemented the NWs would be reduced by changes that are for netters. This is not unique in any way.

I've been retired for 5 years, but before that, I was a long running and playing vet. I've participated in full server wars, indeed, I was actually HoW for PDM for awhile, and a warchat runner for some time before that.
to say that anything that makes total NW's higher isn't in the best interests of netgaining is disingenuous at best. the whole point of netgaining is literally to finish with the highest possible country NW.
and if "bot defences being buffed massively" has reduced NW's across the board, then I'm the king of England. again, look at your top 20.
as for clan GDI, everyone was against it because it puts everyone in one of the tags in Clan GDI in a special sandbox where there is no risk whatsoever to them. that means, no risk of retals, no risk of losing NW in any way shape or form other than a marginally non optimal choice of strat, or slightly bad timing.
increase of bot defences MIGHT make a difference, but I doubt it personally.
This set, the final NW's will be down a little I would guess, but only because there is a server war, making that top 20 cutoff somewhat lower. possibly.
We are never going to agree on this unfortunately, because you don't want to recognise that the changes have benefited netgaining, whether intentionally or not.

Paradigm President of failed speeling