Verified:

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 16th 2019, 23:02:35

Originally posted by sinistril:
The slippery slope argument doesn't work when your already on the slippery slope Derrick. Trump isn't setting any precedents here, it's just getting more publicity. I don't know if it's still in place (though I imagine it is) but the 9/11 national emergency was being extended well into Obama's second term. Now ask yourself, where did the justification for the US to bomb half of the middle east come from? Do you remember congress approving the bombing of, say, Yemen? Somehow using a national emergency to get a border wall built is more worthy of discussion than fighting a clearly illegal foreign war in order to bolster Saudi interests, but hey, it is what it is.

Well yeah. The extension of the wouldnt have stopped us tho. They kind of blanket that as powers of commander and chief. It's not like Somalia, Panama, Granada, desert storm etc were a product of that executive order just before it happened. We invaded places for years and years without Congress approval before the 9/11 natl emergency so I hear your point, but i dont believe the precedent has been set for a natl emergency to be engaged when its admittedly not needed for domestic affairs. Like the dems dont need to take your guns away but could under similar circumstances. I hear your point but overextending an already overextended act does in my mind set a precedent that the president can use the military for whatever he wants domestically and frankly I'd like to avoid that.