Verified:

Xinhuan Game profile

May 21st 2014, 14:40:09

Originally posted by deezyboy:
I was just wondering though guys. When i played in the old days it seemed techers all wanted to hit the big boys and tech as many turns as possible. this new fear of indies and retals is something i dont recall being so prominent.

I would think the extra 80 mil u could make from not grabbing and instead teching 10 turns would keep you safe or at least pay for building costs

Once again thanks for all the replies guys even if i do think you are a bunch of raging emasculated fluffots

10 years ago, the grabbing formula is different. You got more land by attacking larger countries, and less land by attacking smaller countries, percentage-wise (a step function, in fact, players would manipulate their own NW to go under a NW threshold, say making the target country be 31% of your NW instead of 29%, and that makes grabbing returns increase significantly from 3% to 5% of his land, or a 66% increase).

That formula has since changed so that the maximum returns %-wise is now at attacking someone about 100%-105% of your Networth, and is now a "bell curve". In other words, "topfeeding" as it was 10 years ago, defined on attacker having a lower Networth than the defender, no longer exists.

Nowadays, topfeeding is more or less categorized based on intent. That is, bottomfeeding is to attack someone with no intention of eating a retal, because they are not capable/unlikely of doing so. Topfeeding is to attack someone with every intention of eating a retal, and hoping to come out ahead in the exchange (and so you won't try to avoid the retal at all, since it would cost too much upkeep). Midfeeding is to attack someone in between those 2 (typically countries half your NW), and then actively avoid being retalled by jumping in defense.

Thing is, you say that indies would more likely bottomfeed twice to get the same acres as retalling you. I can say the same thing about techers. A techer can also bottomfeed 2-3 times to get the same land as one topfeed, and not lose any of it to future retals.

I assure you everyone that has posted here so far will not hesitate to retal you (and have all played over a year at least), and some will even war you or farm you. :)

In fact, not retalling actually encourages other people to also grab the same country, there have been cases where 1 country decides to attack someone just 1/2 or 2/3 of his NW, suddenly 2 days later, 4 countries follow that up because he chose not to retal, and the assumption is they are also unlikely to take retals.

Given 2 identical countries to attack stats-wise, would you attack someone that has no history of retalling, or someone that has
retalled every hit?

Edited By: Xinhuan on May 21st 2014, 14:47:54
Back To Thread
See Original Post
See Subsequent Edit