Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 18th 2010, 18:29:30

Originally posted by Rufus:
You'll lose even more players. I suspect that most of you overestimate the "dedication" of the already small player base. A large part of it are actually old and bored veterans who just logon, hit explore/build and logout 2 minutes later. They would simply not be bothered to retal and if the only alternative is to let the attacker get away with free land they'll just quit.

I have suspected that this is the case for a while. I can't say that I'm pleased at all that others agree. It's a fairly serious problem for this server.

For the most part, if you want to put effort into your country and try hard to win you need to landgrab. Attacking other countries requires additional effort on your part. Getting attacked by other countries does not require additional effort on your part. It is a passive gesture. If you only care enough to play two minutes a day, why would you care about being grabbed? People only care enough not to be grabbed? What you're describing is not a lack of dedication. I'd describe it as a combination of laziness and entitlement.

And that's a problem. Why is that a problem? Nearly everyone agrees that we need more players in the alliance server. What role should these new players take? If you're someone like Rufus described, your first preference would be for them to be untagged farmland. That way the grabbers can grab and you can play without fear of being grabbed. Your second preference would be for them to be like you: tagged up, but playing the game while not really playing. Not willing to accept any attacks on their countries. The third and final preference would be them actually playing the game. You know, making landgrabs and being landgrabbed. This is bad for you because your country would probably be landgrabbed a few times.

Now look at it from the perspective of new players. Do you think that new players would order their preferences in the same way as lazy players? Absolutely not. In fact, they would order them in the opposite order. They would want to play the game and make attacks. If that's impossible, some of them might settle for never grabbing and generally not caring. I don't think that any of them would want to play as an untagged because they'd be missing out on all of the aspects I listed and would have no hope of advancing their countries.

I don't have a problem with all-X players. I often run all-X myself. But refusing to be grabbed at all makes it impossible for other players to play the game. If you're trying really hard and you get grabbed by someone who is just doing it to cause trouble, like a suicider, sure, you might be frustrated then. But otherwise, they're just landgrabs. As someone who grabbed me in express said, "It's a landgrab. I don't mean anything by it. I'll leave you alone for the rest of the set." I did leave him alone and I finished higher than he did as an all-X. So what's the problem?

Edited By: Slagpit on Aug 18th 2010, 18:46:12
Back To Thread
See Subsequent Edit