Verified:

bepulse Game profile

Feb 15th 2014, 9:17:22

I'm a long time tmbr player myself. Fairly new coming back but recently top 10'd with tt->tmbr.

I should start by saying that even if you plan on reselling most of the set, I strongly advise choosing some sort of more traditional production method to create an initial stockpile to kick start the reselling. Unlike teching, or cashing/indy/farmer, your income depends on your profit margin times the volume of units you are able to resell, so you need a pile of cash to start with to make the strategy work.

With that in mind, I have always thought of mbr as a 3-4 phase strategy:

phase 1: start-up phase - regular startup to whatever strategy you like best. I usually sell some spies and prob go demo or theo techer, although I have seen other startups that work well (Such as farming or cashing and then putting bushels on market to change govs without losing stock)

phase 2: stocking phase - Now you run the start-up strategy until you have the desired amount stockpiled. You can can either grow in this phase and spend most of the set here, or switch to MBs as soon as you have high military tech and enough money to convert your buildings to MBs and buy out your private market. You will also want to stock enough turns to convert all your buildings.

phase 3: reselling (optional) If you are reselling for a long period of time, you will still want a nice cash pile to start with. Usually troops and tanks make the most profit, but sell in a lower volume than jets/turrets. Always diversify according to the market. Another good tip is to sneak in some good landgrabs when you first buy out your market (buy out jets, topfeed like a fluffer, build up MBs on the land, buy out everything else with larger private, cry at upkeep).

phase 4: destocking phase: If you haven't already been reselling, you should now have enough money and turns to buy-out your private market. Regardless of whether you are destocking off a mbr or another strategy, you should keep in mind that you get the best NW/$ with troops and tanks from your private market.

A note about destocking and reselling - If you can, do the math to see how much you need to resell to have enough cash to continue buying out your private market. See how much one tick costs you for each unit type. If you have excess money such that you cannot spend it all just by buying out troops/tanks on your private market, buy jets then turrets. If you don't have enough money to buy out troops/tanks up to the last game tick, continue reselling to make more. If you work it out by balancing your land total with the number of ticks left and the size of your stockpile, you can end up just spending your whole pile buying out your market up to the last game tick. I don't believe this is necessarily optimal, however, because you usually are better off reselling a little earlier and offing your turrets to buy more troops/tanks and sometimes jets.

Sorry for being long-winded. Hope that helps.

Edited By: bepulse on Feb 15th 2014, 9:24:02
Back To Thread
See Original Post
See Subsequent Edit