Verified:

Erian Game profile

Jan 3rd 2014, 12:21:29

Since quite a few players in LaF are new to trading I gave a shot at summing up what I think is good trading etiquette. I'm curious what players from other tags think is good etiquette and whether I missed something that tends to piss others off.

If you hate landtrading and would like to troll here, go ahead by all means, this is AT after all, just don't expect any response from me ;)

My "good etiquette" rules
-Only initiate on countries that have no outstanding retals:
E.g. You want to hit country A, but A just hit B. Let B take his land back from A before hitting A. (If B just hit A and A has a retal on B pending, feel free to hit A anyway. I know I'd like it if I was A...)

-Make sure that your target is the right size:
If you can take 5000 acres of your target, and he can only take back 4000 in his retal, you have hit someone too big for you. This is especially important to remember as a tyranny! Normally you would initiate trading with someone who has about 120-125% of your land so that you have the same land after the hit. As a tyrant, you should hit someone significantly closer to your size, so that his retal can take as much land as you took from him. Remember ghosts never count. If you choose to be a tyranny trader, don't expect a dict to make up for that by letting you leech of his ghosts. Make sure the "real" gains/losses equalize well.

-If someone has a large amount of unbuilt acres. Do not hit, wait for them to get built first! You will get more ghost acres, and they won't get shafted by falling farther and farther behind in income vs build costs.

Edit, add:
-Always build your new acres immediately after an initiating hit so that your target may retal at once with full gains.

Edited By: Erian on Jan 3rd 2014, 12:29:29. Reason: Additional rule I forgot but live by
Back To Thread
See Original Post
See Subsequent Edit