Verified:

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 23:36:43

I'll try to give an answer to that one, although I hope slag will weigh in as well....as he's much wiser than me, and has more info/experience to base his opinion on.

First of all, let's be very clear in the terminology. If you turn around and AB/GS/BR/Missile someone for something as simple as a double tap because you either can't retal it, or aren't patient enough to grow a bit and then retal it, I conisider you a suicider....whether your country dies or not. Perhaps this is a bit of a generic term, but it's been accepted terminology in this game for nearly two decades, and still seems fitting to me.

Now, I wouldn't go so far as say it's inappropriate to suicide here. This is an individual server, and you get to play as you wish. The mods aren't going to set hit restrictions for obvious reasons, and there is no over-arching group controlling what is and is not appropriate like on the more organized servers.

Where the problem in the suiciding that happens on this server lies, is generally players who like to grab, and end up getting AB'ed/BR'ed/Missiled/Killed for making a double tap are not likely to want to play this server anymore. Additionally, players who like to run all-x strats and keep to themselves are either getting farmed silly, or suicided for no reason at the end of the set because folks think it's fun to lob some missiles at the guy in the top 10 who ran a much better strat than them in an attempt to ruin his finish (I have watched both happen just about every set this server has been open)

Nobody cares what you do to the guy that hits you 4+ times (yeah, I think it's still childish to flip out over a triple tap, but like I said - to each his own). But the guys who are going off the deepend for a simple double tap that they could retal for 2x the land 24 hrs later are the ones that are ensuring that this server dies a quick death. The numbers support the theory, and I can give you a long list of players who no longer play here because they don't see any fun in getting hit 50+ times because they made a simple double tap that just as easily could have been retalled had someone wanted to put their big boy pants on.

In short, "suiciding" isn't necessarily bad - but when it's completely disproportionate to the attacks, or inflicts greater damage than those attacks did (i.e. AB's to level an equivalent amount of land, which you suggested), it is not going to inspire players to continue playing on this server because they are kept from running a legitimate strat due to some folks flying off the handle over something relatively minor, which could have been dealt with with a small amount of patience from the person who decided to suicide.

Edited By: NOW3P on Jul 3rd 2010, 23:37:26
Back To Thread
See Subsequent Edit