Verified:

Mrredmanbhs Game profile

Sep 16th 2010, 18:09:21

Can someone explain DR to me? How is it calculated and when does it kick in?

Thanks!

-MrRedManbhs

NOW3P Game profile

Sep 17th 2010, 0:08:27

Attacks in Earth: 2025 are based on diminishing returns- more attacks will gradually yield smaller results. Eventually, a minimum return will result. If an attack results in a return below the minimum, then the defending country has been destroyed. In addition, the returns from an initial strike are based on a comparison of two countries; a country with lots of land will take very little from a country with little land, and vice versa. With all things being equal, the initial standard strike by one country should earn a yield of about 7% of the other country's resources, with the exception of Tyrannies, which have an attack bonus. Non-spy military units have a readiness percentage. As a country's readiness falls, the chances of its attacks succeeding go down, while the chances of its defenses being breached rise. Each attack results in a lower readiness percentage. The only way to raise it is to use turns without using non-spy military. Spy units have a limit of 50 turns of operations per day.

http://annex.wikia.com/wiki/Earth:_Empires

lincoln

Sep 17th 2010, 1:19:37

DR is one of the facets of the game which could use a thorough thread somewhere but if there is one i have not found it.
What I know I have learned from experience and conversations with other players some of whom believe myths that are obviously not true.

I will take an initial stab and hopefully any errors will be corrected by admins and players who actually know. I predict there will be some additions that are just flat wrong.

DR stands for diminishing returns. DR occurs any time a country has been attacked more than once in any 24 hour period. The yield from the attack is lowered because the target country has been hit within 24 hours. The yield from each subsequent attack within the 24 hour period is diminshed by ever larger amounts. That is why you will frequently see five LGs on a country in Express in a 24 hour period and no more than that because after five the yield is substantially reduced. I have looked for the %s but not been able to find them. I have asked a couple of clan leaders who did not know the %s and you will note that the first responder did not address that specific question.

Assume your country has not been hit in the last 24 hours
your DR is 0 after you are hit it is 1
any LG on you at 0 will result in an undiminished return
any subsequent attack within the 24 hour window is diminished by degrees as the number of LGs rises
if your DR is 3 the attacker receives less than if your DR was 2
e.g. a player hits you the first time he receives 200 acres
a second hit results in 186 acres which is 200- DR

sometimes you may see that the second hit or even the third hit actually acquires more land than the original hit. This occurs when other factors override the small amount of DR. This is especially true when you are hitting a higher NW country. EE gives the highest % yields to LGs in close proximity to your own NW. So as your NW gets closer to your target your total yield rises despite the DR factor.

Boxcar and some of the other clan sites have DR calculators but on express you can do it yourself simply by checking the news to see how many times your target country has been hit in the last 24 hours.

So let us look at a couple of examples and conclude:
a) you see in the news your target country has been hit three times but all the hits are over 24 hours old, your first hit is undiminished
your second hit is essentially undiminshed
your fifth is greatly diminished

b) you see that your target has been hit in the last 24 hours and your predecessor got 360A, your yield will be slightly diminshed and will be more influenced by factors such as relative size and gov types than by DR

c) you see in the news your target has suffered one SS, 2 NMs, 2 EMs and three ABs. You see that after these attacks your target launched a PS and acquired 1000 acres of land.
What is his DR?
Many people will tell you that his DR is 0 becasue he launched an attack. That has not been my experience. Slagpit recently stated that the admins are considering making the rule in Express that DR evaporates immediately once a country launches an LG so that means the current rule is that subsequent attacks do not eliminate DR but from my experience do lower your DR.
Anyone who has hit an AB victim within 24 hours knows that DR is still in place in fact sometimes your attack bounces.
Qzjul recently stated that EMs do not effect DR on EE, he further stated he did not believe they ever did. Again that has not been my experience on swirve or mars2025.
i once had an ally at earth2025 who gsed me five times a day in the belief that this would increase my DR. When push came to shove, i got crushed so evidently on Earth2025 GS DR was substantially less than LG DR and that appears to be true on EE as well. Do not hit someone who has been gsed 34 times twelve minutes ago. I do not know how much each missile strike effects DR if at all or the %s of DR produced by the special attack types.

if someone could explain exactly what the DR in example c) is and how any new rules impact that DR, i would appreciate it.

i have had ffa players tell me that dr disappears once you take any turn, i doubt if that is true but i am not certain
in express taking a turn does not eliminate DR in my experience

Edited By: lincoln on Sep 17th 2010, 2:33:14
See Original Post
FoG

Mrredmanbhs Game profile

Sep 17th 2010, 2:18:13

Thanks, both are good and insightful answers. I was getting frustrated last set when I drove a country's DR rate to 43 and was getting next to nothing in landgrabs and GS when I was trying to kill him.
-MrRedManbhs

NOW3P Game profile

Sep 17th 2010, 2:35:27

Grabbing anything more than about 3 hits into DR's is really a waste of your jets. The returns drop enough at that rate that hitting a smaller target with less land will produce bigger returns.

locket Game profile

Sep 17th 2010, 4:00:22

Read the announcements lincoln. There is a DR post there. But way to sound helpful.

lincoln

Sep 17th 2010, 4:39:57

once again locket posts silly nonsense
at least his perfect record is intact
no thread can long remain serious before these guys have to post inane misleading and disruptive posts
it is very unfortunate
FoG

NOW3P Game profile

Sep 17th 2010, 7:03:38

or he could just be pointing out that your long winded and rambling post with no actual facts to bolster what you were saying was completely unnecessary, as you could have just pointed the guy to the post with a link or pasted from the wiki (what I did)

I hope some day I can figure out why people get some sort of sick jolly off of hanging around in places they're not wanted but still insist on trying to make themselves relevant.

Oh yeah, and locket runs LaEx every 3rd set.

Mad Morticia Game profile

Sep 17th 2010, 7:28:02

OK, I'll pop in for a tiny lesson on DR. This is how I did it when teaching economics. It's incredibly hot and humid outside on an August day. So you go buy an ice cream. Tastes so good that you buy a second and then a third. Now should you have the money to buy ten or more of them, each time you bought one, it was less satisfying than the previous one and if he did pig out and ate ten of them, undoubtedly you were ready to regurgitate.

And so it is with lging. The first brings you lovely returns, but each hit thereafter brings you less and less satisfaction.

This rule holds true with anything in real life and so it must be in the Earth game as well.

locket Game profile

Sep 17th 2010, 19:31:19

Also by the time you get to the 10th the ice cream has melted. How can you enjoy it when you arent getting as much? :P

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 18th 2010, 0:46:12

*sigh*

Originally posted by lincoln:
I have looked for the %s but not been able to find them.

Unofficially, because this is off the top of my head and not looking at anything....

0-3: 100%
4-5: 80%
6-7: 50%
8-9: 35%
10-11: 15%
12+: 10%

Many people will tell you that his DR is 0 becasue he launched an attack.

DR = DR - 1 if target makes an attack; this is the state on all servers atm, Slag will announce any fancy rules for express that may or may not change in the future :)

Qzjul recently stated that EMs do not effect DR on EE, he further stated he did not believe they ever did. Again that has not been my experience on swirve or mars2025.

I can't speak for mars, but I can definitely say that we TESTED it in Earth2025 many, many times, and our predictions were always correct. Within a couple acres anyway. Missiles never counted for DR in Earth2025. GS's counted depending if they were successful or not.

i once had an ally at earth2025 who gsed me five times a day in the belief that this would increase my DR. When push came to shove, i got crushed so evidently on Earth2025 GS DR was substantially less than LG DR and that appears to be true on EE as well.

It would have reduced your DR. By crushed do you mean killed? or grabbed? because even at 80% or 50% DR you can get pretty crushed on a Tyr PS w/ MS... and DR wouldn't affect a kill run...

i have had ffa players tell me that dr disappears once you take any turn, i doubt if that is true but i am not certain in express taking a turn does not eliminate DR in my experience

It is not; turns are not related to DR in anyway.
Finally did the signature thing.

lincoln

Sep 18th 2010, 2:31:25

thank you for that qz

a couple more questions sorry

you said gs would not produce DR if unsuccessful
is that true of all attacks./?????
or just special attacks

thx

FoG

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 18th 2010, 7:27:28

just special, and only when target your calculating DR for is attacking for reducing DR, not when defending
Finally did the signature thing.