Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 29th 2010, 16:03:27

Thanks for removing any doubts I had about implementing the new GDI!

Kingme Game profile

Aug 29th 2010, 16:09:24

Thanks a lot Dear Limit.... I'm blaming you for everything from now on.

locket Game profile

Aug 29th 2010, 18:32:24

Thats fricking ridiculous if you suicide over a single tap grab

Spear Game profile

Aug 29th 2010, 18:35:59

Welcome to Express.

PimpThang

Aug 29th 2010, 18:53:02

Well, maybe people wont be so grabhappy in the future.

Popcom Game profile

Aug 29th 2010, 18:54:01

what happened?
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

~If at first you don't succeed, you are clearly not Popcom~

Popcom Game profile

Aug 29th 2010, 18:56:33

well his set is over anyway.
hes a parking lot, and im fairly sure someone bout to kill him lol
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

lincoln

Aug 29th 2010, 21:45:44

55 was exactly the same

9 missile attacks on a guy who did nothing to him
it is rampant
FoG

Popcom Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 1:53:58

server needs some more killers :P

1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

dantzig Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 3:59:50

#49 pretty much convinced me that the new GDI is a good idea, too. 13 missiles from someone I never touched. His reasoning was that I deserved it for doing a single PS on his ally. It sucks when a poor player can cause significant damage to someone who put more work into their country and managed to be more successful at growing it to a leading size.
FoG

anubis0079 Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 6:00:59

LG is not a right so if you grab and they suicide on you so be it. But unwarranted suicide on someone is stupid.

My advice is if you cant take the retaliation dont grab. IF someone grabs me then i am gonna retal but that is the only people i hit. I do not even LG i like to explore.

SoLer for Life
"All Hail The Maki!"
Have a heart.....they are really fresh.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 30th 2010, 6:09:59

Do you honestly believes that losing 302 A warrants 23 missiles?

anubis0079 Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 7:16:31

do i personally think that, no. But as this is not an alliance server and it stand alone playing perhaps it is a held belief by some. What i would like to know is, are people just supposed to take the LGs lying down?

SoLer for Life
"All Hail The Maki!"
Have a heart.....they are really fresh.

Kingme Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 13:31:37

No.... you retaliate with a SS or PS to get your land back.

You know... like you are supposed to do.

lincoln

Aug 30th 2010, 15:57:14

i think 73 GSs in response to 9 unprovoked missiles is appropriate
FoG

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 30th 2010, 16:06:53

Why not accept a single landgrab? It used to be part of the etiquette that we used to teach everyone, but these days people act like landgrabbing is some kind of crime.

If retaliation is not proportional then the best strategy for grabbers is to pick out one poor guy and farm him and AB him so hard that he can't possibly retaliate. Sound like fun to you?

ponderer Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 16:46:28

Originally posted by Slagpit:
Why not accept a single landgrab? It used to be part of the etiquette that we used to teach everyone, but these days people act like landgrabbing is some kind of crime.

If retaliation is not proportional then the best strategy for grabbers is to pick out one poor guy and farm him and AB him so hard that he can't possibly retaliate. Sound like fun to you?

We used to teach that only making a single land grab was part of land grabbing etiquette, but a large proportion of land grabs now are double or triple taps.

Beyond that, what is the great harm of series of special attacks or missiles that do the same amount of damage, or less than a PS retal. When I'm playing all-x, often I'd rather send a missile then destock for a conventional retal. If you're my target, I'm sure you'd rather lose just the acres than lose the acres, the military, the food, and the tech that I would take with a PS or SS.

Land grabbing is, and should be risky behavior - even if you are bottom feeding. If there was no risk of a reaction to a land grab, then we should go beat our tanks into plowshares and play farmville.
m0m0rific

Kingme Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 16:52:09

Originally posted by ponderer:

We used to teach that only making a single land grab was part of land grabbing etiquette, but a large proportion of land grabs now are double or triple taps.

Beyond that, what is the great harm of series of special attacks or missiles that do the same amount of damage, or less than a PS retal. When I'm playing all-x, often I'd rather send a missile then destock for a conventional retal. If you're my target, I'm sure you'd rather lose just the acres than lose the acres, the military, the food, and the tech that I would take with a PS or SS.

Land grabbing is, and should be risky behavior - even if you are bottom feeding. If there was no risk of a reaction to a land grab, then we should go beat our tanks into plowshares and play farmville.

If you are all-x, you should have adequate defense to stop yourself from being a juicy land grab target. If you get hit because you are fat or have piss-poor defense, that's not very intelligent, and you look even less intelligent when you respond with special attacks and missiles.

land grabbing is part of the game, if you do it reasonably I don't see why it should be considered "risky".

ponderer Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 17:05:01

Originally posted by Kingme:

land grabbing is part of the game, if you do it reasonably I don't see why it should be considered "risky".

If there's no risk, then it becomes another version of the explore button.

Granted, I don't agree with the idea of destroying a country for a single grab, but I also don't agree with the idea that you should bend over and take it if someone is farming you.

With a non-indy all-x, you want to maintain as little military as you think you get away with, and as much land as you can get.
m0m0rific

ponderer Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 17:06:00

the quote button looks too much like an edit button : (
m0m0rific

Kingme Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 17:13:37

Granted, I don't agree with the idea of destroying a country for a single grab, but I also don't agree with the idea that you should bend over and take it if someone is farming you.

Hmm, isn't that the exact situation we were talking about?
Slagpit was suicided for ONE landgrab, and he had used that policy for all of his targets. Also in reference to your statement about c/i, you are correct. However, if you are C/I you should have no problem retalling a single LG in a normal manner (PS).

ponderer Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 17:38:09

The trick is to introduce accountability. Maybe if we combined express with tourny - a player will be less likely to suicide if it sets them back a couple of resets. Or you can introduce accountability by forcing players to maintain the same country name from reset to reset.

Short of these changes, if you want to change the culture, you need enforce the cultural shift. Get a few grabbist buddies and kill off anyone who retaliates to land grabs with anything but another land grab. Do it enough, and the people who don't play the way you want them to will either change or leave.

Edited By: ponderer on Aug 30th 2010, 17:42:00. Reason: flow
See Original Post
m0m0rific

ponderer Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 17:41:13

btw, if this game goes on facebook and takes off, you can kiss our current etiquette goodbye outside of the alliance servers.
m0m0rific

Kingme Game profile

Aug 30th 2010, 17:47:05

btw, if this game goes on facebook and takes off, you can kiss our current etiquette goodbye outside of the alliance servers.

I can't argue that, they might as well call this the "orgy" server.