gregg Game profile

Apr 23rd 2010, 18:29:18

i propose in order to encourage battle and add excitement
that some nw be added to the value of a victor in any battle
the amount added to the nw could be dependent upon tons of different variables
RESTRICT LaE to 80% of its cheat size

MorTcuS Game profile

Apr 23rd 2010, 20:43:56

no he means when u hit someone and succeed it gives u extra ghost networth which i dont think is a good idea cause then it would unbalance the game and such.
174099715 (not in use)

Steam : wargasm1

gregg Game profile

Apr 23rd 2010, 21:04:26

it is not surprising that netters would hate the idea

here is a more dramatic suggestion
only add in the nw on the penultimate turn))

Edited By: gregg on Apr 23rd 2010, 21:07:42

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 23rd 2010, 21:45:16

heh... but nw is entirely calculated based on what you have.... why not just have it steal some of their military....
Finally did the signature thing.

MorTcuS Game profile

Apr 23rd 2010, 21:50:01

Now what would be interesting it grabbing someone makes all or some of their missiles disabled for x amount of time. Would refrain some suiciding, atleast in express.
174099715 (not in use)

Steam : wargasm1

gregg Game profile

Apr 23rd 2010, 22:39:26

how about this;
a post game military multiplier

so that immediately after the reset is over
a player's nw is increased or diminished
by the amount of fighting he was involved in

that way a person who fought and clawed would end up higher ranked than someone who merely netted all set long

gregg Game profile

Apr 24th 2010, 12:33:18

skill should be rewarded

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 24th 2010, 17:33:23

ya but if you only do as well as an all-x as a grabber, then do you really have that much skill? heh

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 24th 2010, 17:57:08

Players already gain NW through smart attacking. That's the whole point of attacking!

gregg Game profile

Apr 24th 2010, 19:20:51

i thank both administrators for responding

when reviewing the issue of whether "smart attacking" is properly rewarded and predation is an effective NW tool

i would suggest we search for an objective measure

looking at the various servers
how often does a predator win the set?
how often do predators outnumber netters in the top ten?
what is the balance between predators and netters in the server population and which strategy consistently yields higher results?

once we have an objective measure we can answer the question of whether skillful attacking is properly rewarded

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 24th 2010, 19:28:35

how often does a predator win the set?
fairly often (almost every set)

how often do predators outnumber netters in the top ten?
95% of the time

what is the balance between predators and netters in the server population and which strategy consistently yields higher results?
attacking consistently yeilds higher results; i'd say there are more all-x these days due to lack of targets

Edited By: qzjul on Apr 24th 2010, 19:28:53

afaik Game profile

Apr 24th 2010, 23:34:03

.. also (particularly in express) due to the high risk of disproprtionate retals. No grabs = less risk of logging in to a parking lot.

If you further reward grabbing what's to stop two clannies from exchanging blows to gain more nw? It's close to being worthwhile doing this already, when you are of similar nw. We already have examples of clannies gs-ing each other to put dr in effect in single player servers.

Skillful attacking isn't the question IMO, it's skillful target selection that's key... even then, you never know when you hit a clan member in disguise and spend the rest of the set having ab-wars with 15 players you've never touched (happened to both me & my ally in primary, despite being a no-clan server.. yeh right!)

I am usually a grabber rather than all-xer btw

Edited By: afaik on Apr 24th 2010, 23:36:11

gregg Game profile

Apr 25th 2010, 1:20:06

i can only speak about express because i have been here such a short time

i only came over when swirve closed

but since i have been here netters have completely dominated the express server

in that server endlessly selling troops is the key to victory

and no amount of skill changes that

as to the clans people seem to be ok with clans tactics in all the servers

Edited By: gregg on Apr 25th 2010, 1:22:13

afaik Game profile

Apr 25th 2010, 9:53:56

I'm not sure about contstantly selling troops - that would imply a commie would win most sets or a reseller, which isn't usually the case.

qz is spot on in that grabbers usually win. I won a couple of sets back as a farmer, but it was a grabbing strat... I took 8k acres on my way up & was lucky not to hit any clans or suiciders... netting and grabbing are not mutually exclusive.

gregg Game profile

Apr 26th 2010, 5:16:56

so for example in the express server last set's winner mortcus says he never launched a single attack

neither of the leaders in this set have attacked anyone all set

it is just sell sell sell
hardly a war game more like celbrity apprentice than WWII

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 26th 2010, 5:22:48

you should play alliance :) you never see an all-x win in alliance =/

Evolution http://evolution2025.com if you need a clan :)

egersh

EE Patron

Apr 26th 2010, 5:56:40

gregg, you're wrong on your last post. Mortcus made a lot of attacks, as you can see here: http://eestats.com/express/oldcountry/90/10

In fact I was one of his first victims; and by my math, he attacked for 5,379 acres last reset.

And only 2 out of the top 10 players (in express) haven't made an attack as of now.

I'd say all in all, attacking for land is a sure way to get ahead in the game overall right now. It's all about target selection.

Edited By: egersh on Apr 26th 2010, 5:57:25

gregg Game profile

Apr 26th 2010, 5:59:59

interesting ergesh

check his post he said he never attacked anyone

NOW3P Game profile

Apr 26th 2010, 15:11:57

No offense gregg, but I'd suggest playing a bit longer before trying to come up with ways to improve the game. The critiques of your idea are spot on in so much as that it would create lots of unintended side effects that would make it easily abused by the larger commies in the game. If a C/I could gain mil/NW/multipliers from grabs, there would be no incentive for them to do anything but GDI farm small players that can't retal and watch the NW stock up - and if you introduced ghost NW/multipliers, they would do the same, then make one ginormous grab at the end....this would result in the top 10 farming the rest of the server for the set, creating a NW gap and shorting the market of Food/Tech/Oil. I think you would also see much lower final NW's, as the strats that don't develop until mid or end set (Casher/Farmer) wouldn't have the chance to stock nearly as much goods for a final buy up.

For the record though, you ARE on the right path with your thinking about all-x being more lucrative than grabbing (although this is ONLY in Express)...I will batch explore in Express and beat just about any grabbing based strat folks could come up with. It's not because grabbing isn't lucrative in the game though, it's because with the ability to store 300+ turns, batch exploring takes on a whole new level. One can easily reach 15k or 16k acres with batch exploring on this server, and still have 24 hours of nothing but cashing turns (assuming not getting suicided).

You're at least somewhat wrong that endlessly selling troops is the key to victory in Express. From what I've seen, it's generally either a Casher or Techer/Reseller that ends up winning the set - neither of which rely on selling their own production of troops until perhaps the last 24 hrs of the set.

I guess the lingering question though is....how come you hate netters so much? Have you just not played long enough to realize that the game is about BOTH war and netting, not just outright war...or have netters just always grabbed you endlessly due to your usually low defenses and hard-on for suiciding them? The more you get into the formulas of the game, the more apparent it becomes that BOTH approaches are equally feasible, and at least imo, the obvious conclusion is that the game is built to allow you to play it the way you enjoy.....be that warring, netting, or a mix of the two.

Edited By: NOW3P on Apr 26th 2010, 15:15:02