Verified:

NukEvil Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 23:36:15

Originally posted by DIStopia:
I met ruth.

The question was 'What has earth done FOR you?' not 'What has earth done TO you?'...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

CGiboney Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 23:41:05

Better question, what have you done for EARTH???...

Unholy Monks

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 13th 2011, 23:47:59

Originally posted by CGiboney:
Better question, what have you done for EARTH???...

I wasted my Wednesday. :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Junky Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 23:49:00

I picked up a gum wrapper... but then dropped it cause it didn't have anything in it.
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

CGiboney Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 23:53:17

Nice stuff guys, i recycle so i dont use so many trash bags. Damn beer cans/bottles fill them up to quick.

Unholy Monks

Ruthie

Jan 14th 2011, 2:06:13

When I started playing I was pretty shy, both here and in RL.

Leading an alliance really did help me get over that, become more outgoing (perhaps a bit TOO outgoing at times, lol) and more confident, which also helped me relate to people better in my real estate career.

I have met so many different people here, and have made a lot of friends over the years, some who will always have a place in my life and my heart.

This community is like an addiction that I started 13 years ago and have yet to quit it.

AND I learned html :)
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

hanlong Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 2:08:02

ask not what earth has done for you

ask what you have done for earth
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Patience Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 2:14:47

Galandy: MARRY ME!!! lol It's even better with the animation!!!! <3 <3 <3

NukEvil: I snorted Coke out my nose at that comment - CLASSIC!!!
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Mr. Lime Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 3:31:59

Originally posted by NukEvil:
I met ruth.

The question was 'What has earth done FOR you?' not 'What has earth done TO you?'...

nice. I'm pretty sure I've caused ruth a few more headaches then she's caused me...OK maybe a lot more..

i've made friends, met a ton of omegan's in dc for some good times, met a few lcn'ers, even convinced some earther's to try WoW

but when it comes time and i retire from this game again i'll still have ruthie..and thats really all that matters

AoS Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 5:46:45

Originally posted by Patience:
Galandy: MARRY ME!!! lol It's even better with the animation!!!! <3 <3 <3

NukEvil: I snorted Coke out my nose at that comment - CLASSIC!!!

You're doing it wrong, dear. :(
The dreamer is banished to obscurity.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jan 14th 2011, 6:00:56

Well I can confidently get retals or reps out anyone I want, even that homeless guy on the corner. Matter a fact.. me and my neighbor will be FS'ing the lady downstairs soon.
It made me drink for several years.
I have a wonderful colorful language and sentences that noone else ever understands.....since I run around saying things like blah blah Azzmar! and fluff this and fluff that...and ramblings about sheep. Screaming El Yay (that gets strange looks from my tables at work). And my 2 favorites ..... Boobs!or GTFO! ..... You all are special in the eyes of the fluff! (yes, sorry martian).

But really what I got out of this game, is some great and so far long time friends from all over the world. :)
I have watched many go from being single and partying to getting married and having babies. I have seen earthers marry each other. And we also got watch Kemo go from slave to a prosperous pimp.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Chap Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 6:18:18

This game was a ton of fun, and a mild obsession, when I got into it. Perhaps more importantly, however, were the debates on General Talk which played a role in pushing me intellectually and challenging my beliefs. Among other things, this game is at least partially responsible for me becoming an atheist.

All in all, one could argue there was a lot of wasted time on this game, but I'm thoroughly glad I came across it.

KeSSie Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 6:38:02

Originally posted by galleri:
Well I can confidently get retals or reps out anyone I want, even that homeless guy on the corner. Matter a fact.. me and my neighbor will be FS'ing the lady downstairs soon.
It made me drink for several years.
I have a wonderful colorful language and sentences that noone else ever understands.....since I run around saying things like blah blah Azzmar! and fluff this and fluff that...and ramblings about sheep. Screaming El Yay (that gets strange looks from my tables at work). And my 2 favorites ..... Boobs!or GTFO! ..... You all are special in the eyes of the fluff! (yes, sorry martian).

But really what I got out of this game, is some great and so far long time friends from all over the world. :)
I have watched many go from being single and partying to getting married and having babies. I have seen earthers marry each other. And we also got watch Kemo go from slave to a prosperous pimp.

EL YAY!! :-D <3
EL YAY!

Xintros Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 7:09:58

This was like the first online game (after a brief time in Utopia)... I liked the Earth theme much more being a huge Sci-fi fan. When your my age (can be found in "Age of average Earther?" thread) being able to communicate world wide, chat in irc channels, etc IS SCI-FI to me and as my twitter account says, "was born before his time".

So it is my main form of entertainment instead of sitting in front of a TV screen. My family and friends refer to this game as "Oh dad is playing his country", I have excused myself from parties and family gatherings to stonewall or participate in FS's friends accepting my wife's explanation "he needs to play his country" LOLZ, nobody in my RL calls it an online game, they call it playing my country.
I was never a huge fan of AT, maybe it had something to do with IX having constant AT bans. I'm not shy at all insite w/e Alliance I am in as anyone who knows me will tell you. I actually post too much, but serving as A DL for years and IA along with other leadership roles made it a necessity that I no longer need playing a smaller role now. I am learning to keep my post count down with my new Alliance mates. :-)
So although many of you don't know me, others do and love me as I love them. We keep it amongst ourselves.
Back to topic --->> THATS ENTERTAINMENT! My past time = Earth
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a killrrun" - Xintros
https://www.soundclick.com/...efault.cfm?bandID=1381300

Ruthie

Jan 14th 2011, 13:47:18

<3 Xintros

<3 DIS
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

trumper Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 16:42:34

Originally posted by Mr. Lime:
Originally posted by NukEvil:
I met ruth.

nice. I'm pretty sure I've caused ruth a few more headaches then she's caused me...OK maybe a lot more..

i've made friends, met a ton of omegan's in dc for some good times, met a few lcn'ers, even convinced some earther's to try WoW

but when it comes time and i retire from this game again i'll still have ruthie..and thats really all that matters

Were you there when we all went minigolfing? I hung out with the Omegans when they did their DC thing back in maybe it was 04 or 03. Good times.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 14th 2011, 17:39:48

heh yea in RED we tried to discourage posting on AT occasionally because so many of our members seemed to like trolling hehe
Finally did the signature thing.

MorTcuS Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 17:42:43

earth made me become bilingual at the age of 15 or so.
174099715 (not in use)

Steam : wargasm1

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 14th 2011, 17:44:52

yea I can only imagine how helpful this game would be for non-native English speakers...

Somebody was telling me they learnt some Dutch hanging out with that dutch alliance back a while ago...

If I'd not been a native english speaker I'd probably have gained alot...

if only Quebec was around still I could improve my french ^^
Finally did the signature thing.

Detmer Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 17:47:09

Originally posted by qzjul:
yea I can only imagine how helpful this game would be for non-native English speakers...

Somebody was telling me they learnt some Dutch hanging out with that dutch alliance back a while ago...

If I'd not been a native english speaker I'd probably have gained alot...

if only Quebec was around still I could improve my french ^^

I actually had site access to Quebec for a long time (and chatted with a lot of the members) and that was actually very good for my french. I have also picked up some bits of Swedish. When TDZK was still around I was getting Bulgarian lessons from some guys there ;)

oats Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 20:27:05

I don't think learning 'french' in quebec is generally considered good for your french.

DaGecko Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 22:57:22

It got me into the habit of not ignoring the phone in the middle of the night when on-call for work!!

You, know, those late night calls telling you to hurry up, you're getting GS'ed!

TAN Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 23:37:55

I learned how to stonewall people in real life.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

madjsp Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 2:52:32

I've actually met a few of the Earthers in real life, and they were awesome.

This game has been in my life since '97, and most of the people I have played with since then.

Honestly, I get so tired of the game, but it is the people who keep bringing me back. I get tired of stupid topfeeders and people who are so selfish, but there are so many people within Collab that I have played with for so long, they are almost like an extension of family (to steal a quote from Pang). I still talk to old Earthers on the phone too.

I've met some awesome people on this game, and I enjoy most of what they have to say.

In regards to Dare... He wasn't the only person to ever post crazy stuff on these boards. I can name others (mainly Kemo) who are just plain nuts. It's hard to believe something can happen, but overall this is just a forum. Most people say whatever they want at any time

I just hope that the recent events don't take away the one medium that a lot of us have to talk to each other!
-jonathan

joe3: bater sucks so bad imag could teach him a thing about war

gwagers Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 6:04:03

Earth let me waste time in my high school's government class. Of course, the teacher was the one that told us to play it, so... Well, I have him to thank for spending almost every evening since in front of a computer.

Well, that and FanFiction. But this is much better.
Peloponnese (PEHL-oh-puh-NEES): a mythical land of cheesecake

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Who has time for that? BLAST THEM ALL!

Twain Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 15:23:20

I'm primarily a FFAer, but I figure this thread isn't necessarily server-specific, so I'm posting.

Nowadays this game is just something to do and a reason to chat with some people that are pretty cool, however back in college, I think E2025 helped me develop leadership skills and just kind of teach me diplomacy. I led TIE in FFA for most of its existence and being a small to mid-sized netting clan in what is widely considered a war server definitely required having good skills in diplomacy, as I had to be firm enough to not get walked over, but also had to know when I needed to give in on something to avoid wars.

In fact, having gotten into the idea of how video games (and other games) can have negative and positive effects on people, I've come across the writings of Nick Yee (http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/) who writes about this exact type of thing. I've kind of mirrored exactly what he wrote about it, in that his research on the people that play MMORPGs find that many of those that thrive in leadership positions are similar to how I was--younger, more energetic people who don't have any type of leadership role in their regular life (me being a student at the time), whereas those with leadership roles in their real lives usually just want to be a low-responsibility member in alliances/clans/whatever.

Games like this can definitely help people with interpersonal skills like this.

MorTcuS Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 16:14:37

u make a good point there twain. I would add to this that it makes a more healthy society, everybody happy :P.
174099715 (not in use)

Steam : wargasm1

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 16th 2011, 21:11:31

Thanks for everyone for posting on this,

It was a great read, and I learend some things from it.
Appreciate it.

Servant
Z is #1

GearHead Game profile

Jan 17th 2011, 9:23:07

I think the best thing I received from this game over all the years was being able to watch Dalyx get hammered on apple wine at Renaissance Festival in Minnesota a year and a half ago and become a drunken giggly knucklehead, lol

Phamtom

Jan 17th 2011, 9:45:52

I met a few guys that have been pretty good buds.

Btw, Detmer, I blame you for me posting on these forums.

Ant

Jan 17th 2011, 14:08:40

I think there are a lot of things that can be learned from playing massive multiplayer online games. I feel a great skill that I have learned from this game/community is problem solving. That is also what i do irl, Solving problems for the company that i work for.

And also how to get along with kids :P

CC Game profile

Feb 11th 2011, 23:02:24

I am sure there are a bunch of people who got married because of the game (because they met their loved ones in the game).

Personally, earth2025/EE has been a fantastic training ground for my EQ! How not to scream at dumbasses who have been irrational and dumb. How to rationale handle coup-de-tat of leader...and how to accept dictatorship as something benevolent..

I am sure i could use this for a resume/job, as a proof of my organisation, management and strategic thinking skills. Though i might ahve to put a caveat on the actual number of hours i have spent in the game! (misplaced priority!) Haha.
Canterbury Crusader (CC)
Evolution

Shinigami Game profile

Feb 12th 2011, 6:26:57

Well, there is all the obvious of course, with communication, social, and leadership skills.

Getting called to stone wall - or to lead a kill run - has me trained to come to full awakening within seconds of the phone ringing. As often as I get odd calls from work when there are system issues that has turned out to be a handy skill.

I didn't learn HTML because of Earth but I improved my skills with it.

I actually did have Earth on my resume, back in college. I can't say for sure it got me a job but they did bring it up when I interviewed and I did get the job so if nothing else if didn't hurt.