Verified:

aponic Game profile

Jan 6th 2011, 18:04:51

Well, I discussed this in brief with Pang and of course, an earthempires IRC server already exists and is open to all in the form of Evolutions IRC server (irc.earthempires.com). However, what would really settle the factional disputes in alliance, team, FFA, or any server, is a centralized place for conversation, newsfeeds, and highlights (an IRC feature).

What is needed for alliances to commit to these servers fromt he likes of Gamesurge or private IRC servers such as clever.mine.nu or irc.scourge.se, is a login system for the earthempires irc server. By recoding the IRCD, users could in effect log into the IRC server with their current earthempires login and password. This would allow for alliances to setup their own channels, limit user access to private channels such as warchats, and would of course require the easy setup of personalized news feeds for each alliance.

Of course, as Pang pointed out, this is a lot of work. I mase this thread simply to survey favor or disaproval for the idea. As a leader in SOF, I have discussed this with our leadership and we are more than in favor of such a move as we are currently displaced from our old private server and newfeed.
SOF
Cerevisi

Detmer Game profile

Jan 6th 2011, 19:35:15

I definitely felt the community IRC was healthiest when most alliances were on gamesurge (and not just because there were simply the most people using IRC for the game at that point). I think it would be in the best interest of the game as a whole IF new players were introduced, to have a unified IRC server.

ZIP Game profile

Jan 6th 2011, 19:49:33

good idea
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

Ozzite Game profile

Jan 6th 2011, 20:18:25

What exactly stops everyone from doing this immediately and using normal authserv? The only difference is that you could use the same login and pass? big deal...
Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 6th 2011, 20:20:32

i'll let qz field this one, but I like the ideas aponic brings forward here
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

aponic Game profile

Jan 7th 2011, 17:12:38

Let me be clear that I am simply putting an idea forward and not the trying to stipulate how it would be actualized.

Ozzite: From a SOF perspective we would be worried about security and control over our given channel(s) and also the ability to mod our newfeed to some degree.
SOF
Cerevisi

Patience Game profile

Jan 7th 2011, 17:45:23

Given that my alliance's IRC channel was stolen out from under me once, I'd say that should be your chief concern. ;) You have to be very careful about who the owner is and what permissions are given out. But yeah, what a great idea!
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 7th 2011, 17:48:08

if EE has the "final say" on who owns a channel and who doesn't, I don't see that as a problem.... :p

people used to steal GT sites all the time, but I've only had one complaint of "stealing" a Boxcar site :p
active admins are a good deterrent to stealing :)
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

M m i x X Game profile

Jan 7th 2011, 19:01:06

sounds like the old SoF IRC server :)
-=(M m i x X)=-

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 10th 2011, 19:44:25

yes active admins and a big sitck:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

aponic Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 2:13:22

TTT so qzjul sees this
SOF
Cerevisi

Medic Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 2:19:30

fluff
Patty loves a big dict

morwen Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 17:19:33

it works, but there will always be 'special' cases, our 'brothergame' utopia being a great example where people claim utonet hackes their computer and is bias against certain alliances =p

cant fight the retards.... so question is if this should be a natural development kind of thing or something regulated by EE admins and if it should be high priority right now. even if we all end up going to one server, its a matter off time till someone splits himself off again for whichever random reason he may have

for the point of unifying all clans/groups in one server i would not suggest this..... for the point of offering extra service, totally...

it would allow things like phone bots, personalized news, personalized announcements/instructions etc, to work even better and would also make it easier accessible for the (small) clans without techfreaks.

i guess it would help nublet clans to get started.

Mr Gainsboro Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 11th 2011, 22:54:01

Well it could be incorporated with the hosting sites too?!
We already have some stuffs for login why not connect the EE account with boxcar,irc,game and its all good? :-)
Don of LaF

M m i x X Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 23:06:14

and should have to mask our IPs to prevent DDoS... only the IRCOps/Admins can see the real IP...

eg.: [username/nick].[alliance_name] depending on what username/nick he/she puts on his/her profile on their alliance site.
-=(M m i x X)=-

M m i x X Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 23:06:58

sorry... double post...
-=(M m i x X)=-

TheORKINMan Game profile

Jan 12th 2011, 3:22:35

Holy crap did Patty just take a shot at me over #tie? :P

GameSurge is 100% secure as far as the IRCOPs enforcing proper channel ownership. Having been an IRC Helper (baby IRCOP there) I can tell you they have strict policies. Pang for instance will always be deferred to as rightful owner of any channel using Earth Empires because he owns/runs the game. IX and many other alliances used GameSurge for a long time without incident. Plus most other games I play use GameSurge so it makes everything more convenient for me ;)
Smarter than your average bear.

aponic Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 2:46:54

Big problem with gamesurge is that there is no newsbot for a general news feed let alone partitioned ones for individual alliance needs
SOF
Cerevisi

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 13th 2011, 7:26:26

w0ah

that'd be massive effort

i like the idea though :) we might be able to do that...

o.O i have root on the box tho orkin heh ;) so methinks it'd fall back to me...

the nice thing about having an irc server situated ON the game server is that we can push news *live* (not scraped from a feed) via a bot that is logged into the irc, and have allll flood protections disabled for it, as it's all local, so no traffic to the server. And we can support news & market channels very flexibly... if we want we can dump 20k lines in 1s to the IRC server and it'll be happy with that...
Finally did the signature thing.

Angel1 Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 7:32:26

Hehe, I keep Omega's channel in proper hands. I usually log onto the channel once a day. I'll let more programming inclined people comment.
-Angel1

aponic Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 18:23:45

I think SOF will begin making the move to EarthEmpires IRCD
SOF
Cerevisi