Verified:

aponic Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 2:43:32

Well, someone else brought it up and I thought it deserved its own thread. Shouldn't political threads be allowed on the alliance server since it is a politically based server?

A couple chirps of agreement from the mods/admins would give people the authority to begin real conversations on this board again.
SOF
Cerevisi

Dragonlance Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 2:45:59

no go to general talk and give it a leg up

Junky Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 2:47:16

sure, we can bring back Patty, RaVeS, Mickster, Orkinman.. I forget the rest... RaVeS was always my Fav :-P
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

NukEvil Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 2:53:59

What Dragonlance said.

Look, AT already has the most posts in the Forums. If you're too lazy to click on a different forum (a forum in dire need of posts) to get your political fix, then I don't see why we have a paging system on the forums, for it takes the exact same amount of effort to click on a different page as it does to click on a different forum.

If you want 'real' conversations on this forum, I suggest doing all you can to help get more players into this server, so we can start having real in-game issues to base topics on. The admins cannot do everything by themselves.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

aponic Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 2:57:13

This is a political server. Half the threads are flaming threads. My point is that you cannot rebuild the intensive community that this game once had if you strip the central forum. Saying that it has the most posts is rather irrelevant unless your aim is to keep the total number of posts down. The arguement makes no sense.

General Talk is for just that, general talk. What I am saying is that politically oriented conversations belong on the politically orient server's board.
SOF
Cerevisi

NukEvil Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 3:03:37

Yes, it is a political server. FFA is also a political server, as is Team, to a smaller extent.

You're not going to rebuild a community by injecting rl politics into a certain forum. You can do that all you want on AT, FFA, Team, or even GT, and unless more new players show up, all the debating in the world isn't going to build this community.

Listen, I more than welcome political debates on all game forums. Just as long as they're game-related. If we start actually debating about in-game politics instead of flaming each other about rl stuff, I think we'll have more of a chance of retaining the players we have now.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Dragonlance Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 3:45:11

If your too lazy to recruit people to the game, and instead want to keep yourself happy that you are helping by posting a couple of political threads on AT...

crazyserb Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 4:01:15

was the old AT a bit more fun due to a lot of posts about anything and everything??

its a yes or no question.

aponic Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 4:01:49

Making this board interesting again is one way to maintain people's interest. I would not have made the thread had many people not already been complaining about the drop off in topics of conversation. Take 50 people, cut them up into 5 groups of ten, and have them talk within their groups and you will quickly have less activity then you would have had with a group of 50. You are taking what I said out of context. Saying that political debate on this server would be good for the game (alliance) has little to nothing to do with recruiting people to build the game. Stop putting words in my mouth and changing the topic.
SOF
Cerevisi

Steeps Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 4:16:10

I'd rather not have political threads as a non-US citizen it would bore the poop out of me, and would probably discourage more non-US people from reading these forums if there were more RL politics rather than ingame politics.

anubis0079 Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 4:24:20

I prefer in-game politics as Steeps said. I care not for RL politics in my leisure time.

SoLer for Life
"All Hail The Maki!"
Have a heart.....they are really fresh.

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 18th 2010, 4:27:33

You know, I used to enjoy the political discussions on AT

it gave AT a different type of life and vitality...and gave different people different ways to enter into the community.

people can ignore the threads:)
I liked it better when 2-3 of them were around:)

as I have very different point of views now, than I did 10 years ago:) would be fun arguing against myself:P
Z is #1

crazyserb Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 4:32:28

lol same here servant

TheORKINMan Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 4:44:22

Just to throw in my worthless 2 cents here. I think a moderate tolerance of off topic threads is generally a good thing for your most active board. If it's near election time and people want to talk about Obama v Tea Party on the most trafficked forum on one thread I don't see how it could hurt to just let em do it.
Smarter than your average bear.

de1i Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 5:36:05

I heard it is hard to open a different forum to post something off topic, can anyone confirm?

Instead of trying to make an already active forum even more active, how about make a dead one active as well.

2 active forums > 1 active forums

locket Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 6:21:46

id rather see many offtopic posts here than go to another forum

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 18th 2010, 8:34:49

*heads over to General Talk*
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

aponic Game profile

Nov 18th 2010, 14:04:33

Splitting activity into multiple boards wont help anything. Also, who says the political threads have to be american? They never were all american in the past.
SOF
Cerevisi

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 18th 2010, 15:48:47

we could create a recent messages page of some kind, where you pick the boards that get their recent messages shown....

so you can do AT + General talk + announcements or something

i think i already coded a bunch of this for the forums... i'll have to go look for it :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

locket Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 6:36:12

so basically click on a recent message thing instead of on AT? Sounds better. I never check general :P

Chevs

Nov 19th 2010, 17:24:50

what happened to my post?

SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)
En4cer: Chevs... u would have beaten me by more than 100m

NukEvil Game profile

Nov 19th 2010, 17:28:33

What post?

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 19th 2010, 19:28:33

Recent messages idea is good; actually that was part of my original spec for this forum system it just never happened haha
Finally did the signature thing.