Verified:

Rockman Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:12:49

This sentence is neither true nor a paradox.

So what is it?

mrford Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:13:49

false
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Rockman Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:15:10

If it is false, then it must either be true or a paradox.

mrford Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:17:40

false
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Detmer Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:33:35

It is a paradox.

Rockman Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:35:10

If it is a paradox, then it must be false.

Detmer Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:37:36

hrm

Detmer Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:39:35

Ok, right, I agree.

No, I disagree. If it is a paradox it is false, if it is false it is true or a paradox. If it is true or a paradox that makes it false.

Thus this is a paradox.

Rockman Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:46:30

But you just said if it is a paradox, then it must be false.

Is it both false and a paradox at the same time?

Detmer Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:47:07

Originally posted by Rockman:
But you just said if it is a paradox, then it must be false.

Is it both false and a paradox at the same time?

Being false and a paradox at the same time sounds like a paradox to me.

Detmer Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:50:16

I suppose, being false and being a paradox are not mutually exclusive might be a good supporting statement.

Klown Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:52:27

Its a paradox and its false

Rockman Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:52:31

Originally posted by Detmer:
I suppose, being false and being a paradox are not mutually exclusive might be a good supporting statement.

That is the same conclusion I came to. It was not quite what I was expecting.

Klown Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:53:19

Oh. Detmer just said that.

gwagers Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:53:59

If you say it's not a paradox, and it is, then it is a lie and therefore false, while being a paradox at the same time.

I realize I'm basically restating what Detmer said, but this is also to help me clear it up in my own head.

EDIT: Oh, good, I'm not the only late responder.
Peloponnese (PEHL-oh-puh-NEES): a mythical land of cheesecake

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Who has time for that? BLAST THEM ALL!

Klown Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 4:57:51

If its a paradox, then the part about the sentence not being true is true, which means its false, etc. etc.

Detmer Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 5:09:52

Did you devise this on your own? A quick google search does not turn up this question.

I am going to bed now but I will probably lay in bed thinking about it for a while ;)

Rockman Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 5:12:36

Did you devise this on your own? A quick google search does not turn up this question.

I am going to bed now but I will probably lay in bed thinking about it for a while ;)

I did come up with it on my own, but it is so incredibly simple that I would be foolish to claim to be the first to have come up with it on their own.

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 5:14:50

Its Confused!
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

Detmer Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 5:17:05

I did come up with it on my own, but it is so incredibly simple that I would be foolish to claim to be the first to have come up with it on their own.

I never assume I am the first to think of anything, but I consider a thought to be effectively novel if I came up with it on my own.

Rockman Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 5:25:00

I never assume I am the first to think of anything, but I consider a thought to be effectively novel if I came up with it on my own.

I've been reading the book by Ernest Nagel and James Newman about Gödel's Proof, and my facebook status last weekend was "If I was an evil math teacher, I would put "This sentence is a lie." on a true-false test."

I "finished" the book today, but I will need to reread the 2nd to last chapter of the book a bunch of times to better understand it. I followed most of the book pretty easily, but the 2nd to last chapter of the book where they actually discuss his proof is something I could not comprehend my first time through.

But the book has had me thinking about the idea of consistency, which is why I tried tonight to come up with a statement that if it was a paradox implied it was not a paradox.

TNTroXxor Game profile

Jan 13th 2011, 6:43:04

Get a life
Originally posted by JJ23:
i havent been deleted since last set

gwagers Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 3:34:37

We're playing a text-based game based mostly on mathematics and perfect timing. I think "get a life" is wasted on us.

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 14th 2011, 4:46:04

rofl

This is why I've stuck around for 14 yrs,

Not many communites have this type of material on a regular basis.

Z is #1

Rockman Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 5:07:07

After thinking about it some more, and talking with my dad (who has a phd in math), we concluded that this really depended on how one defines a paradox. The definition my dad and I were most comfortable with is that a statement p is a paradox means "p iff p". Or in less mathematical terms, a statement is a paradox if the statement implies its negation and the negation implies the statement. Additionally, a statement being a paradox is not enough to indicate that a statement is either true or not true, or is false or not false.

Since this definition does not indicate that a paradox cannot also be true at the same time, or cannot also be false at the same time, then it is possible that a statement could meet one of those criteria.

The sentence "This sentence is neither true nor a paradox. " is therefore both false and a paradox.
Similarly, the sentence "This sentence is either false or is a paradox." is therefore both true and a paradox.

Rufus Game profile

Jan 14th 2011, 9:04:13

a statement is a paradox if the statement implies its negation

This sentence is neither true nor a paradox
is equivalent to
(This sentence is not true) and (this sentence is not a paradox)
This sentence is not true = paradox, thus
This sentence is a paradox and this sentence is not a paradox
:D
I am John Galt.

gwagers Game profile

Jan 15th 2011, 6:30:40

Which... is a paradox in itself... I really should stay out of threads I don't understand, I have no excuse.

TAN Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 3:37:15

for the record and after a long drawn out conversation with gnome, my answer is "paradox". it cannot be both a paradox and false at the same time, and being a paradox doesn't imply falsity either.

i can't be bothered to explain myself again. damn j00 gnome for eating up my sleep.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 26th 2011, 17:50:17

this has nothing to do with mathematics.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!