Verified:

archaic Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 20:21:16

Do people seriously still do tech starts?

Several of the best netters that have ever played once nearly laughed me out of IRC years ago for suggesting tech starts. They did not even like them for war prep.

When en4cer, t-mac, and ddan say it - I pretty well take it to the bank.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Junky Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 20:25:28

Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:
I would also argue that wars tend to supress the demand for tech, not increase it. A restart will need to buy 30k tech to get their agri % from 100% to 210%, a 25k farmer will have to buy 30k tech points to get there tech percentage from 205% to 210% ...

the amount of SDI bought during wars is quite abit, since most clans use Missles as a Readiness thing... it can go either way.. with the amount of aid given to Restarts they can buy up on Tech and military for striking when they get out of protection.
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Chewi Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 20:28:59

I bought 4-5m tech last time I netted.

crazyserb Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 20:57:00

archaic the most famous war start up strat is the tyrany farmer WITH TECH PHASE:)

Junky Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 21:17:56

I don't blame people for not believing me :-P with a name like Junky it comes with being crazy.. and silly.. wrong bout 75% of the time, but... I've never hidden behind names and such.. people know how I feel, or what my views are.

Ruthie

Oct 20th 2010, 21:20:12

Originally posted by archaic:

Ruth - you are getting grumpier in your old age. Considering where you started from - that is impressive!

lol ... I am grumpy cause I say I dont like netting ?

I am actually having more fun in the game than I have had in a long time.

Originally posted by crazyserb:
didn't mean to call you any names....i just don't get your mentality

you should understand that sometimes you should make a sacrifice for the better of the community

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I have netted plenty of time, probably more than I have been warring lately.

But an all netting server is not for me.

Edited By: Ruthie on Oct 20th 2010, 21:23:17
See Original Post
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 20th 2010, 21:24:24

Originally posted by Junky:
Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:
I would also argue that wars tend to supress the demand for tech, not increase it. A restart will need to buy 30k tech to get their agri % from 100% to 210%, a 25k farmer will have to buy 30k tech points to get there tech percentage from 205% to 210% ...

the amount of SDI bought during wars is quite abit, since most clans use Missles as a Readiness thing... it can go either way.. with the amount of aid given to Restarts they can buy up on Tech and military for striking when they get out of protection.

see you're only thinking about war techs

if you don't go to war, thus, don't need to work on your SDI, you'll keep growing which will inflate the demand for netting techs (bus, res, agri and mil) and since you'll need more units of tech as you get bigger to maintain max tech levels, there will be a net increase in the amount of money generated through tech sales as well as an overall increase in aggregate demand for tech.

When the wars start is when the tech market falls out, which you think would be counter-intuitive, based on your statements.

The place that wars actually help the tech market, for instance, is when restarts need to start buying tech after cashers and farmers have hit their land goal and are stocking bushels, rather than buying tech with all their cash. At that point, though, most techers have already converted to destocking mode and are only dumping the remainder of their tech stockpiles.

*waits for marshall to poke holes in his statement using economic theory*

Edited By: Pang on Oct 20th 2010, 21:26:39
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 20th 2010, 21:31:06

The best thing for the war-tech market is repeated false-starts for wars ;) as alliances buy up techs for an FS and then go back to wargaining and then... repeat

but yea, wars do very little to the bus/res/agri/military markets... heck even weaps is a large part grabbers i'd guess
Finally did the signature thing.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 20th 2010, 21:38:30

Originally posted by qzjul:
The best thing for the war-tech market is repeated false-starts for wars ;) as alliances buy up techs for an FS and then go back to wargaining and then... repeat

but yea, wars do very little to the bus/res/agri/military markets... heck even weaps is a large part grabbers i'd guess

I agree with the first part entirely :p

for the 2nd, i'd say that if no wars were breaking out -- or no war prep, fort that matter -- people would continue to grow and buy netting techs. That would result in an increase in demand for those techs which would drive prices up, resulting in highest cash generated by techers, resulting in an overall stronger netting experience across the board, as techers buy more stock and military.

Trickle down economics at work! :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Junky Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 21:39:03

a large part of getting yourself killed.. if you feel the need to use missiles.. then your a dead country, and all your teching is for nothing..

there really isn't anything a country will really need. for tech.. without wars. you'll get people who will buy here and there.. but not enough to use as a viable strat.. as I've said.. the wars do little for bus and res... unless someone is bringing thier tech % back up from all the land they get from PSing, and SSing land kill targets.. wars effect Tech market more then people might think.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 20th 2010, 21:51:01

What, Junky? I don't even know what your last msg was trying to get at, other than that you think that wars impact the tech market.

I agree that wars impact the tech market, but just not in the ways that you describe. :p
If you reread my posts, it should be clearer :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Junky Game profile

Oct 20th 2010, 22:14:56

Originally posted by Pang:
What, Junky? I don't even know what your last msg was trying to get at, other than that you think that wars impact the tech market.

I agree that wars impact the tech market, but just not in the ways that you describe. :p
If you reread my posts, it should be clearer :p

actually my post was to the other guy :-P I didn't see your message since I was writing mine as you were writing yours.

Dragonlance Game profile

Oct 21st 2010, 0:28:30

the moral of this whole thing is.

You should all sell agri tech uber low so i can buy it cheap.

crazyserb Game profile

Oct 21st 2010, 4:16:58

blah slefish bastard:P

lol ruthie all i am suggesting is to have 1 flipping netting set heheh one set dude...its better then getting a nice country killed in an FS, just sayin...

either way ive played only one netting set in the past 6 set's and that was with LaF , it was boring, but mostly i was a litlle jelous everyone else was warring so thats what bugged but if everyone else was netting then i would have competed much more

we can make this game so much more interesting, why wont you people just try damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Oct 21st 2010, 5:41:09

/slaps CrazySerb
Netting is a dirty dirty word in my book.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Sauron NBK Game profile

Oct 21st 2010, 6:20:02

Netters net, killers kill. Why fix something Thats not broken?

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Oct 21st 2010, 6:40:13

/me huggles Sauron!

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Ruthie

Oct 21st 2010, 12:24:39

Originally posted by crazyserb:
lol ruthie all i am suggesting is to have 1 flipping netting set heheh one set dude...its better then getting a nice country killed in an FS, just sayin...

lol ... I havent been called a dude in a long time

~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

Dragonlance Game profile

Oct 21st 2010, 12:42:52

dude...what does mine say?

gwagers Game profile

Oct 21st 2010, 12:57:24

On the subject of techs, I barely buy any tech when I'm going to war--I'm more interested in keeping my second-rate bank open for military purchases on the public market, since I figure I'll be dead before I can get enough military tech to make a difference with the private one. Since the military tech switch-over, I've found it to be a very efficient netting tool as a farmer. Also, for some reason I always have to be reminded to buy SDI, since I can't remember it on my own--but on a netting set, I'll clean out the market's agriculture stock five times over. So personally, war sets lead to fewer purchases, at least for me.

Moreover, if I play as a farmer (which I'm not doing this set), I find other peoples' wars help my sales considerably. I much prefer that situation. Wars do help netters, as long as those netters aren't the ones at war.

And if I had to choose between being FS'd or being forced to do something I'm not good at with everyone else (which would result in a single scorecard for everyone, humiliating me when I turn up 400th or so in line), I think I'd prefer the FS.
Peloponnese (PEHL-oh-puh-NEES): a mythical land of cheesecake

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Who has time for that? BLAST THEM ALL!

Junky Game profile

Oct 21st 2010, 20:32:09

well least you make the top 400... though with the numbers now... I might actually make the top 250 :-D

gwagers Game profile

Oct 22nd 2010, 17:36:48

That was a random number, but you're right, I probably should have put myself somewhere in the 500-600 range.
Peloponnese (PEHL-oh-puh-NEES): a mythical land of cheesecake

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Who has time for that? BLAST THEM ALL!