Verified:

Dragonlance Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 0:07:59

Apparently the movie "The King's Speech" is rated R in the US!!

for language...

how can a movie be rated R... for LANGUAGE?!?
please... explain!

Trife Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 0:11:05

Generally, it's not socially acceptable for people under 18 to be using such words as:

fluff
damn
fluff
ass

along with all sorts of racial & sexual slurs

Again, we're America, we're number 1, we make the rules, we're better than you, so smell our poo

TAN Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 0:16:29

Yeah, but you're number 2! And by "number 2," I mean poop.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Dragonlance Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 0:46:17

but... you have very liberal movie ratings for violence...

considering the shootings etc. that seem commonplace...

surely you know... maybe... switching it up a bit... pushing the sex and the language, and restricting the violence a bit..:p

WH Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 0:56:22

i sell children.

Silent Sentinel Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 2:44:55

It's rated R because Americans have an aversion to Monarchs. True story.

TAN Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 2:49:31

"Just why do you think you have such a morbid aversion to fish?"
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Junky Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 3:32:34

its rated R for Rediculous.. you mis-understand the American people "={ anywho.. we seem to have lost touch with the whole concept of Seperation of Church and State.... cause we've almost done what the Church states.... to a T.. and or lowercase j
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Emp1r3 Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 18:29:36

Originally posted by Junky:
its rated R for Rediculous.. you mis-understand the American people "={ anywho.. we seem to have lost touch with the whole concept of Seperation of Church and State.... cause we've almost done what the Church states.... to a T.. and or lowercase j

I dont think thats true mate o.o To tell you the truth, when directors go to have the movie rated, they grab 10 people put them in a room and give them each a part to rate (i.e language, violence, nudity, etc.) Then everyone draws from a hat and thats the ratings! True story, I was in one of those focus groups :P

PapaSmurf Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 18:32:54

focus groups = totally awesomeness

they are even better when they pay you well

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 18:37:26

I thought they were butterflys
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

cyref Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 25th 2011, 18:47:28

it's not focus groups..

http://en.wikipedia.org/...merica_film_rating_system

MPAA Ratings Board
Members of the MPAA's Classification and Rating Administration, which the MPAA claims consists of a broad, demographically representative panel of parents, view the movie, discuss it, and vote on the film's rating. The age of a panel members' child(ren) does not affect the eligibility of participating in the parental panel. Further information about members is difficult to obtain, as they operate in secret. The only publicly known member is chair Joan Graves. If the movie's producer is unhappy with this rating, he or she can re-edit the film and resubmit it, or can appeal to an Appeals Board. Appeals generally involve a film which was rated R for which the producer is seeking to have the rating changed to PG-13, or a film rated NC-17 for which the producer is seeking to have the rating changed to R

See the documentary This Film Is Not Yet Rated here:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/this-film-is-not-yet-rated
👽

PapaSmurf Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 18:52:02

seems unfair they have to be parents

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 25th 2011, 18:56:44

Originally posted by PapaSmurf:
seems unfair they have to be parents

Wow... I never knew it was just parents. Weird, but I guess it kind of makes sense, since the ratings are geared towards parents/kids.

But I also feel movie ratings are too strict re: language. Curse words are something you learn in grade 2 or 3 during lunch period, playing WWF wrestling in the field.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 25th 2011, 19:21:45

According to US standards:
violence is ok for all
nudity is not
bad language is not.

I've always been puzzled by this.

Honestly exposing kids to nudity is probably not a bad thing. Prior to WW2 when people lived in single room dwellings/farms kids saw this all the time. Sheep and cows have no shame:P

And by nudity I mean in a general context, not necessarily hard core sex/degrading activities.

Violence has a much larger impact on kids than boobies or curse words.

And for the record, the Vatican was filled with nude art until some Pope eventually decided that it was bad and had the art repainted/modified.

Just my two bits.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

PapaSmurf Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 19:30:47

I know they modified "Eyes Wide Shut". They had to add people in certain scenes to provide cover, this was to get R rating.

Patience Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 19:42:15

I blame it all on Pope Pius. Wasn't it him that put the fig leaves on all the statues in Rome, and had robes painted on the Sistine Chapel's ceiling?
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 25th 2011, 21:45:52

Something like that. oddly, I believe that there is nothing in the Christian bible about nudity in and of itself being a sin although plenty about violence and bad language although technically only when used in conjunction with G. Or so I am told anyway:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 25th 2011, 23:27:11

You do realize that we repealed the DADT policy in the military and still we don't let queers get married.

Rated R movies. This should really be on the bottom of our "To Do" list.

First things first. Get rid of the Canucks and anyone who has more than one middle name.

NOW3P Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 23:35:15

I'm guessing, as I haven't seen it, it's not so much for WHAT words they used as it is for how OFTEN they used them.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jan 25th 2011, 23:44:09

just out of curiosity, were the cusses stammered?
it can get pretty traumatic when people screw up the cuss words.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

CaptainTenacious Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 2:07:50

i agree with martian. more boobies! they are beautiful things!
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.
Moderation being an imaginary place i go to when i drink.

Garry Owen Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 3:28:33

I would think that you Aussies would have more to do than to worry about what we watch at the movies.

But then you always did have a pretty warped sense of values down under.... :P

Patience Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 18:39:51

Originally posted by ZEN:
You do realize that we repealed the DADT policy in the military and still we don't let queers get married.

Rated R movies. This should really be on the bottom of our "To Do" list.

First things first. Get rid of the Canucks and anyone who has more than one middle name.

HEY!!! I hope you're talking about the Vancouver Canucks. :(
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Junky Game profile

Jan 26th 2011, 21:25:36

ps, sometimes Christians can fluff up the system.. puting beliefs before logic... and go overboard with things... thinking kids past 10, are still fagile.. and that saying fluff or something else will ruin them for life.
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Emp1r3 Game profile

Jan 27th 2011, 0:43:59

Originally posted by Junky:
ps, sometimes Christians can fluff up the system.. puting beliefs before logic... and go overboard with things... thinking kids past 10, are still fagile.. and that saying fluff or something else will ruin them for life.

As a Christian, I concur...by it is only a select few, overzealous people that are that way.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jan 27th 2011, 0:46:42

i saw Alien when i was 14, had to cover my mom's eyes so she wouldn't see the scarey parts.

but then again, i was cussing in 2nd grade. got my mouth washed out with soap because i wasn't allowed to say that fluffing word.

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Jan 27th 2011, 0:48:49
See Original Post
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

ponderer Game profile

Jan 27th 2011, 2:20:31

m0m0rific