Verified:

RLintz Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:16:07

If everyone self farmed, there wouldn't be a need for clans. It would take away a part of the game that makes it what it is (interactive). It would become 250 people playing solo in a single server. Part of the game is finding land targets and hoping your deffence will keep it when the retal comes around. This game is a gamble with every turn you take, and self farmers take a little bit of that away.

Tin Man

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:20:36

MAAAAARRRRRSSS!!!!! I don't know why TC or anyone else has not seen this coming from a mile away. Server war to eliminate self-farming FTW!

Twain Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:25:23

That's like saying if everyone played farmer and bought and sold on private market, there'd be no need for clans.

I don't think anyone's saying people shouldn't have the right to grab self-farmers if they're the best target (as they often will be), but rather: Why do people have such a hatred of it?

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:29:08

I don't think it should be banned, but the main problem with it, is that it is easy mode. Someone with no skill can spend very little time and have a super country, that even a very skilled player that did normal landgrabs would have a tough time beating.

So basically for netting, without exception, self farming is better in every single way, and lowers player interaction. It is basically God mode for netting.

Although if DR did not affect landgrabs, this whole issue would be fixed overnight.
So many ways to die, only one way to live...
NBK

RLintz Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:31:18

No, clans are in place to make people be more respectful of their grabbing habbits. Clans also add to the interactive part of the game. If everyone self farmed, there would be little or no need to interact with other players.

Self farming is a strat. To each their own.

I personaly would rather have 16 countries of $10m net each, rather then 1 country of $100m net.

RLintz Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:32:54

K4F, I'm not suggesting Self Farming should be banned. I'm just shareing another view on the issue.

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:37:56

I think all self-farmers should be required to register like sex offenders so I can find them easier when I need land.

KyleCleric Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:42:41

i think undefended fat countries need to be hit and hit repeatedly.
This is our fluffing city. And no one is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.

Twain Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:54:08

Originally posted by KyleCleric:
i think undefended fat countries need to be hit and hit repeatedly.

But that's not necessarily indicative of self-farming alone. If I ran 100% jets and farmed countries left and right to get myself fat, and you saw me before they made their retals, it's not like you'd look, see that I wasn't a self-farmer, and then leave me alone.

and RLintz: Self-farming doesn't necessarily mean propping 1 country up. Many people use it simply to generate ghost acres by trading hits. If I'm sitting at 10k acres with 2 countries and I use them to hit each other 5 times each, I'll probably have 12-13k acres in each country by the end.

Honestly, if you guys want self-farming to go away, lobby the administrators to do away with ghost acres. With no ghost acres, most people wouldn't do land-trading.

Of course, then they might simply do all-explore, which for people playing the "self-farming eliminates interaction" argument, maybe we need to get rid of the explore option, too.

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 17:59:16

The easiest way to make everything work out, would be to make it so AB/BR/GS do not count towards landgrabbing DR. Also do not let failed SS/PS attacks count towards landgrabbing DR.
So you can still DR yourself but only from hitting yourself a ton.
NBK

KyleCleric Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:03:21

Twain, i'm not talking about self farming, just undefended fat countries.

K4F, i like that idea.
This is our fluffing city. And no one is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.

Twain Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:03:37

That would work on one level.

It would discourage people from using self-farming to prop up one country, because that one country would obviously not be in DRs at all.

However, it wouldn't discourage land-trading, where you'd just trade hits between 2 countries until you were far enough into DRs that it wouldn't benefit someone else to hit you.

Twain Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:06:16

And to be honest, it probably would eliminate most of my self-farming, because my typical way to do it is to use certain countries to land-trade and build up ghost acres, which I then use a 3rd country (the one I care more about) to skim those acres off.

I tend to try to keep from getting too fat to be one of the better targets out there, so I rarely use DRs, but if I did shoot to get ultra-fat, then your idea would definitely deter me, so there is some validity to the idea.

Again though, that's an administrative decision. I still think for those people that want self-farming out, they should just lobby the admins for either a change to DRs or the removal of ghost acres.

KyleCleric Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:07:22

make it so that when you trade land, it doesn't increase DR.

Angryjesus Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:10:03

it is currently that way i believe (meaning each attack you make takes you 1 hit out of dr)

KyleCleric Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:11:27

that's what i thought

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:11:59

Nah land trading and increasing DR that way is fine. DR is important on successful attacks.
But it takes a lot more effort to do a land trading strat, and the end result is not as good as propping up a few good countries and DR'ing em.
The mere fact that it makes things more difficult will balance things out, as skill will come into play a lot more.
NBK

Twain Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:25:06

If attacking took you OUT of diminished returns, that'd actually probably be a bigger problem. (this was changed a few sets ago, unless I'm mistaken).

If attacking takes you our of diminished returns, then there's no limit to how far someone can go to self-farm. This was the way llaar made that ridiculous country in the 3rd set, I think?

he was able to trade hits between two countries, which, since they were hitting each other, they NEVER went into diminished returns, so llaar was able to basically use all his turns trading hits back and forth and making his countries so monstrously big that it was ridiculous. This is why on all the all-time boards, llaar pretty much blows everyone else away in both land and total networth.

Of course, the political setup of the game was much different, because LaE was so big and powerful no one wanted to mess with them, and the two clans that might've been able to (AoDT and NBK) were too busy kicking the crap out of each other to involve themselves in touching LaE (not to mention I think LaE had them both pacted).

Perhaps now, it'd work, but I still think the only thing that would happen is someone would use the lack of DR's on trading to get even fatter and then would put themselves into DR's AFTER doing their trading.

K4F: Your point is valid. It does take more work to do land-trading than a simple propping up of one country, especially with all the buildings that get destroyed in land-trading that must be rebuilt.

I'm not sold on returning back to where making attacks will actually get you OUT of DRs though, because I think someone will find a way to exploit that.

Dragon Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:45:18

I experimented with self farming. I can see why people might do it, but self-farming is really just a symptom of larger problems.

One problem is that there's just not enough countries on the server to allow for a lot of grabbing over an entire reset.

Another problem is that there's no cap on land size, so obviously people will get as much as they can in any way they can because Land=NW.

The notion that taking 5K land off of a fatty might be discouraging to self farmers is ridiculous. It's a cost of doing business and nothing else.

I'll also point out the obvious. You do not see as many netting clans cry about self farming as you do warring clans. That's because they want to have their cake and eat it too. The more they can drag the NW of netting tags down, the better their NW figures look.

The whole "self farming damages interaction" thing is a pile of crap. I won't be self farming this reset. Or prolly ever again. And unless or until there are 3-5 times the number of countries on this server than there are now, I'll be running all-X countries.

Every clan certainly has a country or two that can retal and make grabbing that clan non-profitable. If the don't, they should. So if I know I'm going to lose land in exchange for a grab, why the Hell would I grab in the first place? The Retaller has the land advantage in FFA as things stand.

There's no mystery behind why people might self-farm. You wanna stop it? Get the Devs to cap land at 30K acres in FFA.

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:49:21

No no Twain, Ghost acres used to be a set % of land that was created, they implemented a decrease in ghost acres gained after successful attacks, going down to almost nothing after 3 grabs.

As for attacks taking you out of DR, not an issue.
Country 4 attacks 5
Country 3 attacks 4
Country 2 attacks 3
Country 1 attacks 2
Country 5 attacks 1

So with just 5 countries you can have 4 in DR 100% of the time. With 16, you can have 15 outta dr.
NBK

LeftyHa8er Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:56:00

IMO self farming is fine. i like to see the crazy high nets i cant do it i am to lazy. i also like making one grab to move my 10k killers to 20k food whores in one grab be4 my final days of sending FA to one of my 16 for its jump.

Link Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 19:00:31

i want an all x server.
Link.

I Am a meat popsicle.

Elders
ICN
NBK
PanLV
SALT
MaK
Valks
CwG

Havoc Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 19:31:08

derp, 1a
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Popcom Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 20:15:35

my beef with self farming, is the cry babies that always post or just nerd rage and delete there countries cause u grabbed them
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

~If at first you don't succeed, you are clearly not Popcom~

Dragon Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 22:01:51

You'll have that though. And of course you have the fluffs that push people around just because they can. Makes the world go round, I suppose.

kemo Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 22:24:20

i just think any grabbing inside your own clan should yield no ghost acres. its a small step to evening out the playin feild
all praised to ra

Drinks Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 23:02:47

Originally posted by NukEvil:
not happy with RD self farming?

Then stop masturbating.

Everyone here knows it's exactly the same thing.

Just leave out RD and the same applies :P Thanks Nuke!

Edited By: Drinks on Feb 2nd 2011, 23:05:31
See Original Post
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

KeTcHuP Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 23:12:59

kemo- ill detag, grab, retag ;)
Ketchup the Thoughtful Suicidier

RLintz Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 6:49:00

KeTcHuP, what if the rule applied to countries owned by the same account?

Warster Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Feb 3rd 2011, 6:53:32

Originally posted by kemo:
i just think any grabbing inside your own clan should yield no ghost acres. its a small step to evening out the playin feild

how can you level a playing field thats already level???

its not like I can self farm and you cant

you choose not to

going by ur logic, all grabbing should be banned because its not a level playing if i choose not to grab and you choose to grab
FFA- TKO Leader
Alliance- Monsters

MSN
ICQ 28629332

Havoc Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 7:00:41

hah I like that
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

RLintz Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:57:18

If everyone self farmed, this would become the new Farmville. there wouldn't be any conflicts....we should try that next set to see what happens.

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:58:28

Tree hugging hippies ftw!
NBK

RLintz Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 15:13:32

We should be alowed to take land from dead countries, nobody is living there anymore.

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 15:33:21

I should be able to have a vampire country, that steals the souls of the citizens it slays, becoming stronger with teach civilian killed (proportional to it's own citizen count of course). So after a month of war it will be all powerful.
NBK

RLintz Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 17:07:48

That would be aweome, lets do it.

I need a mod over here please.

RLintz Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 17:14:56

the government type counld be Vampire, troops = zombies, jet = bats...etc....

Twain Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 17:21:02

Then I want a Voldemort gov't type, so I can use Avada Kedavra to kill your Robert Pattinson vampires!

(yeah, I totally made this thread about 10x lamer right there, I admit it.)

RLintz Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 17:23:27

6.6 hours ago

668,000 Blood Barrels were returned from the market.