Verified:

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 14th 2013, 9:49:10

"WE hold these Truths to be self-evident: that all Men are created equal; that they are endowed by their creator with inherent and* [certain] inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness: that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, & to institute new government, laying it's foundation on such principles, & organizing it's powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety & happiness."

What does this mean to you?
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

braden Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 15:23:55

tyrants not welcome?

mrford Game profile

Jan 14th 2013, 19:41:06

that i should be able to get a 1,000 ounce soda and give myself diabetes if i want to?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Twain Game profile

Jan 15th 2013, 2:26:18

Fun trivia: while most of that is T.J., there were a few minor edits that are part of this final version that were really the other founding fathers. Jefferson's original text said "We hold these truths to be sacred and undeniable" and that we're "endowed by [our] Creator with _inherent and inalienable_ rights.

Not that this is a terrible significant change here, but I teach the D of I in American Lit, and my textbook includes both Jefferson's original text as well as the changes that the founding fathers made.

Stryke Game profile

Jan 16th 2013, 13:05:27

Very nice.
SOTA (President/HFA) • Elders • Darkness
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. NightShade
Originally posted by kemo:
this dudes either a great troll or a seriously stupid fluff. the kind that takes the pepsi challenge and chooses jiff

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 17th 2013, 7:19:47

That's interesting Twain. That's very interesting. Which Text Book are you using, if I may ask?

Twain Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 13:52:29

http://www.amazon.com/...es+in+American+Literature

That's a link to it.

The more interesting parts that were edited come later on. TJ had a huge section on how slavery was bad (which was cut for obvious reasons of wanting to keep all the colonies united) as well as some much more inflammatory statements towards the King and towards the British people.

All stuff I didn't know until I went back to teaching American Lit this year, so it's been a bit of a learning experience for me as well.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 19th 2013, 21:13:26

Pricey book. Man, those damned publishers are really raking it in off the student population, essentially hostages if I recall correctly. Been a long time since schooling was completed.

Twain Game profile

Jan 20th 2013, 14:51:43

This one's exacerbated by being an old book that's probably out of print, being a 1996 copyright.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 20th 2013, 18:29:57

Man, that's hardcore. I would hope they have updated the curriculum to call for a more recent text.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 25th 2013, 14:56:01

I've been reading up on the civil war. I think in a way it was comming since the american revolution and a real failiure to address the issue then. Although it's possible that stalling certain things might have brought an end to slavery for other economic reasons (growing lack of demand for southern cotton abroad).
Jefferson was somewhat at odds with some of the other founding fathers from what I gather and was probably the most enlightened by todays standards.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 25th 2013, 14:56:23

Also some of that stuff was born from the french revolution.
:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 26th 2013, 12:01:20

That's an interesting way to look at it, martian, and I think you're probably right about the civil war simmering since the revolution and the failure to address the problem of slavery then. Although, I'm convinced that the civil war was more about economics rather than an opposition to slavery, although the New Englanders were more than willing to seize on such hallmark sentiment to assist their side of the war.

Have you read the novel Gettysburg, co authored by Newt Gingrich? It's an awesome novel, I will have to someday write to old Newt and apologize for many years of evil feelings towards him due to many bonehead political decisions that he has made.

Stryke Game profile

Feb 1st 2013, 10:20:48

LOL, Do you know Newt Gingrich also wrote a book called 1945?
SOTA (President/HFA) • Elders • Darkness
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. NightShade
Originally posted by kemo:
this dudes either a great troll or a seriously stupid fluff. the kind that takes the pepsi challenge and chooses jiff

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 2nd 2013, 5:13:31

Originally posted by Stryke:
LOL, Do you know Newt Gingrich also wrote a book called 1945?

I do now. :) Tx, I'll be sure to look it up. :)