Verified:

Trife Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 15:01:57

Wharfed

Nov 9th 2012, 16:10:45

I saw this. Makes sense to me.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

BobbyATA Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 16:36:12

Uhm Romney won the college educated vote. Not by a landslide by any means but he won it. What you have here is a classic correlation but not causation Trife.

That said, if you control for things like race and age, I'm guessing Obama wins a larger % of the white vote as education increases, but asmaller percentage of the Latino/Black vote. Just a guess, if someone has those numbers I'd be interested.

Helmet Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 16:36:38

Trife: So what exactly are you saying this means?

Trife Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 16:46:18

Originally posted by Helmet:
Trife: So what exactly are you saying this means?

That the 10 best educated states voted for Obama.

That 9 outta 10 of the worst educated states voted for Romney.

True, correlation vs causation yadda yadda yadda, but an interesting fact. Just sayin' ;)

Klown Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 16:49:52

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Nov 9th 2012, 16:53:25

@Klown: that actually confirms Trife's statement. It just says that the effect is less pronounced this time than it was last time.

I think that people are trying too hard to read into too many demographics though.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Klown Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 16:57:44

No it doesnt... as education improves, as does the tendency to vote Republican (post-grads excluded). Romney won college graduates.

Romney won the middle and upper class. He won those making 50k-99k and 100k and above. Obama won only those making less than 50k. Show me an educated person making less than 50k.

Trife Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 17:00:26

I think we've got a case of apples and oranges between our links, Mr Sour Grapes.

Trife Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 17:02:46

Originally posted by Klown:
No it doesnt... as education improves, as does the tendency to vote Republican (post-grads excluded). Romney won college graduates.

Romney won the middle and upper class. He won those making 50k-99k and 100k and above. Obama won only those making less than 50k. Show me an educated person making less than 50k.

FYI, Those making 50k-99k are lower class. Romney said that middle class is 200-250k/year.

'Show me an educated person making less than 50k.'
Really? Prepare to be bombarded.

Klown Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 17:04:12

Again, we don't. Colorado is number 3 on your list of most educated states. My link shows the splits for Colorado:

Romney wins college grads 55-43. Obama wins the state on huge hispanic support.

Virginia is number 7 on your list:

Romney wins college graduates 50-48. Obama wins because 20% of voters are black in Virginia.

Klown Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 17:05:14

Originally posted by Trife:

FYI, Those making 50k-99k are lower class. Romney said that middle class is 200-250k/year.

Please don't post to me about your loser Facebook friends that majored in English and are members of Occupy Wall St. I don't give a crap what Romney said about middle class. 50k-99k is middle class. Under 50k is lower class.

blid

EE Patron

Nov 9th 2012, 17:11:10

this is pretty classist
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

blid

EE Patron

Nov 9th 2012, 17:17:41

Haha you cna't just say "post-grads excluded" as that completely demolishes the conclusion that increased education increases the tendency to vote republican. check out the income tables, from which i'd deduct with my 10 second layman's analysis that it's not the college education that's making people skew romney but probably the increased income levels which derive from that.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

RavenBF Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 17:18:05

Education does not guarantee higher income..... I am college educated and make less than 50k, you also have to take into account what people in that area are going to school for, what is the local market availability for that job, if they are relocating to find jobs relative to their degree, or if they move to an area to obtain said degree, then move back to their original location after obtaining that education.......

Also you can see by these statistics gathered using census data that it isnt until a Masters degree is obtained that the median
income for somebody fully employed in their field earns more than 50k

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._attainment_in_the_US.png

And that is if you are employed, just because you have a degree does not mean you will be employed in your field of study as only half of college graduates are currently employed full time

http://abcnews.go.com/...grads-employed-full-time/
Minty
adj: Describing someone as British and homo-sexual.
mint minte mintt gay british person kj
by Master ZEN Aug 28, 2012

Klown Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 17:35:27

I agree, increased income is likely what leads people to vote Republican as they get college degrees. The people RavenBF is talking about are the people that prevent those with a college degree from skewing even more toward Romney. After all, your degree only gets you your first job out of college. After that it is your competence and ability. As RavenBF pointed out, it is possible to have a degree and make less than 50k your whole life if you lack talent and ability. These same people are those that demand government hand outs and vote for Obama (See: exit polls).

RavenBF Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 17:50:04

For the record, it is not my lack of talent or ability that has me earning less than 50k, but the lack of jobs in my field, across the board. My degree was earned in NY where there were a lot of jobs in my field, and I ended up in Amarillo, TX where there are virtually no jobs in my field. As of right now due to family obligations, I can not move to where the market is better.

Also, the few jobs in my field that ARE here... only earn between 35-40k, with a ridiculous amount of hours and pressure on top of that. For the pay, it is not worth it to be employed in my field, in this area, unless it was to get years on my resume pending a relocation. As relocation is not an option for the foreseeable 5-10 years, I dont see it as worth it. Not when I can use the fact that I do have a college degree and work my way into another position unrelated to my degree and still earn over 50k, but have a competitive edge in THAT market just because I do have a degree.
Minty

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 9th 2012, 17:59:22

Yes, as education improves, people tend to vote more Republican, up to a regular college degree.

Once you move into masters, PHD's, and other post graduate programs, it moves strongly towards democratic voting.

I am an example of this,

My undergrad degree I was still registered republican (I come from a R family)

By the end of my 88 hr masters degree, I was a Dem...(ran across some stuff, questioned some things and changed directions.)

Btw, I make less than 50K, for now, but that wont always be the case, mostly due to the fact that I'm doing a startup, (granted I"m in one of the professions that's amonst the worst for amount of pay, vs education required) but, I love what I do.
Z is #1

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 9th 2012, 18:01:11

Trife hvae some fun with this,

Compare povery rates, crimte rates, divorce rates, alcholism, drug additction etc etc etc on a state by state basis with the percentage of fundamentalists/evangelicals ina state.

It's one of the things that shifted me out of an evangelical background:)
Z is #1

Klown Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 18:08:17

Servant, you just posted two messages completely contradictory to one another. In the first you claim you completed a Master's degree, and the second you posted something suggesting you have absolutely no grasp as to the difference between causation and correlation. Which is it? Or did you just attend a horrible university that will give a degree to anyone?

Klown Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 18:10:33

But since it is okay to disparage Christians with made up statistics, why don't you run the same comparison with the number of black people? Or is it not okay to do that?

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Nov 9th 2012, 18:18:50

Sigh. This thread right here shows how the US is so divided. Instead of working together, we wanna push each other and show who the bigger person is.
I cannot wait to see new round of political posts in 4 years.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 9th 2012, 18:21:44

Klown, what do you know of me to be making such attacks?

What I left out, is those rates of addcition adultry, divorce etc,,,are just as high or evne slightly higher in people who regularly attend evangelical churches.

I wrote about this in papers during my Mdiv. It changed the direction and course of my life.

Now here's the connection for you Klown,

People with a less educated/poorer background tend to be more drawn to fundamentalism/evangelicalism.....

What it is is those messages really don't change a thing, as these rates don't change...
Which tell me something is flawed with the system....and my search is a search to find an approach that CHANGES those things.

Z is #1

CKHustler

Nov 9th 2012, 18:23:56

4 years galleri? Why wait that long? Next round of election is only two years ahead and campaigning starts today!

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Nov 9th 2012, 18:27:05

Vote for the Queen!

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

ericownsyou5 Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 18:31:28

Servant, I hope English is your 2nd or 3rd language.

Havoc Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 19:03:43

Originally posted by galleri:
Sigh. This thread right here shows how the US is so divided. Instead of working together, we wanna push each other and show who the bigger person is.

Well said.
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Nov 9th 2012, 19:18:09

Klown: "correlation vs causation" while it is technically true, you are over extending its implications.

Statisticians can and do infer significant conclusions derived from examining correlations.

BobbyATA Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 19:26:42

After my post this thread should have ended.

Trife Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 19:40:25

Originally posted by ericownsyou5:

Nice ad hominem! ;)

Klown Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 20:47:31

Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:
Klown: "correlation vs causation" while it is technically true, you are over extending its implications.

Statisticians can and do infer significant conclusions derived from examining correlations.

Obviously. What Servant is suggesting is not one of them.

locket Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 21:03:31

Please don't post to me about your loser Facebook friends that majored in English and are members of Occupy Wall St. I don't give a crap what Romney said about middle class. 50k-99k is middle class. Under 50k is lower class.

LOL perhaps you should look a bit closer Klown. You are ridiculous.

"About 1.5 million, or 53.6 percent, of bachelor's degree-holders under the age of 25 last year were jobless or underemployed, the highest share in at least 11 years. In 2000, the share was at a low of 41 percent, before the dot-com bust erased job gains for college graduates in the telecommunications and IT fields.

Out of the 1.5 million who languished in the job market, about half were underemployed, an increase from the previous year."

Also you may want to look at your link again dude lol.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...012-exit-polls/table.html

Romney won college grads by 4% but lost "some college" by 1% and "postgraduate studies" by 13%.

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 9th 2012, 21:14:26

PS I didn't disparage Christians,

I disparaged Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism:)

I am also happy to point out 14 yrs of terrible typing in this game:)
It is quite legendary, and consistent, though slightly improved from the 90's:)
Z is #1

Nov 9th 2012, 21:25:46

Nice ad hominem! ;)

Trife, it's how i've settled arguments for over a decade.

For reference:
http://atarchive.gotdns.org:8080/...hivepost.jsp?thread=52829

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator

Nov 9th 2012, 21:28:26

This is where they got their statistics on best/worst states.
http://247wallst.com/2012/10/15/164232/
2011 census. Who is to say that things haven't shifted in 2012? Here is another thing to think about when it comes to gathering information from the census:
Who is to say who lied about their information and who didn't when they filled out that form last year?

locket Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 21:31:31

uhh Galleri do you really think that only certain states lie about information? It would be similar everywhere..

Helmet Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 21:57:17

Servant has the best signature on this thread, therefore he wins.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 22:06:12

hope China loans US enough money for there to be US political threads 4 years from now.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Trife Game profile

Nov 9th 2012, 22:20:20

Nice ad hominem! ;)

For reference:

omg, i never would've thought i would've been an asshat to TV. i lobbs him. 17 year old me was a complete dumbass. 27 year old me is still a dumbass, but not nearly to the same extent.

good times

Nov 9th 2012, 22:34:49

Nice ad hominem! ;)

For reference:

omg, i never would've thought i would've been an asshat to TV. i lobbs him. 17 year old me was a complete dumbass. 27 year old me is still a dumbass, but not nearly to the same extent.

good times

After looking through the history, I feel like I should apologize to you... i was very mean for no reason. I was young as well.

RavenBF Game profile

Nov 10th 2012, 1:37:27

Nice ad hominem! ;)

I bet eric had to look up the meaning of ad hominem, he probably thought you were calling him gay Trife
Minty

Anonymous

Nov 10th 2012, 3:26:29

Originally posted by RavenBF:

Nice ad hominem! ;)

I bet eric had to look up the meaning of ad hominem, he probably thought you were calling him gay Trife

Yo dawg I heard you like attacking people rather than arguments so she used an ad hominem about an ad hominem.

elvesrus

Nov 10th 2012, 3:59:18

1796 is calling to say "I told you so"

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/washing.asp
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

Detmer Game profile

Nov 10th 2012, 5:31:46

Klown, give it up - you're wrong.

Mr Snow

Nov 10th 2012, 5:44:00

Originally posted by locket:

LOL perhaps you should look a bit closer Klown. You are ridiculous.

"About 1.5 million, or 53.6 percent, of bachelor's degree-holders under the age of 25 last year were jobless or underemployed, the highest share in at least 11 years. In 2000, the share was at a low of 41 percent, before the dot-com bust erased job gains for college graduates in the telecommunications and IT fields.

Out of the 1.5 million who languished in the job market, about half were underemployed, an increase from the previous year."

Also you may want to look at your link again dude lol.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...012-exit-polls/table.html

Romney won college grads by 4% but lost "some college" by 1% and "postgraduate studies" by 13%.

I'll skip the requisite insults and simply point out that by losing 'some college' he actually won (the 'dumb' people that couldn't finish school voted for obama), that 'college grads' likely includes all the postgraduate numbers, and even if it doesn't 'postgraduate studies' is a pretty small % of college graduates, sooooooo, still, winning overall among the 'educated', if that's how you frame it. Just sayin'.

locket Game profile

Nov 10th 2012, 5:57:07

That site says the post grads make up 18% of the voting base based on what they classify it as. Not small.

Atryn Game profile

Nov 10th 2012, 17:26:38

Originally posted by Mr Snow:
I'll skip the requisite insults and simply point out that by losing 'some college' he actually won (the 'dumb' people that couldn't finish school voted for obama), that 'college grads' likely includes all the postgraduate numbers, and even if it doesn't 'postgraduate studies' is a pretty small % of college graduates, sooooooo, still, winning overall among the 'educated', if that's how you frame it. Just sayin'.

It would be quite foolish to assume that all people who don't graduate from college failed out. There are other major reasons for not finishing college including lack of funds, getting married (classic MRS degree?), moving, finding a job that negates the need to finish the degree, joining the military, joining the church, dying (although hopefully these don't go on to vote), going to jail (same), starting a company (Bill Gates, anyone?), etc.

trumper Game profile

Nov 10th 2012, 18:05:39

Trife, the list is laughable. Look at the left side and then look at their governors in the 2000s ;).

aponic Game profile

Nov 11th 2012, 0:36:36

pretty funny
SOF
Cerevisi

braden Game profile

Nov 11th 2012, 1:06:41

trife: asshat, perhaps. but you were kind of right, seawolf sucked :P

i had my great fun, though, personally. and i love how in that thread i cop attitude towards mr shadow