Verified:

Rockman Game profile

Apr 26th 2012, 3:52:06

Yes is a legitimate answer. If you accept Cantor's philosophy of mathematics, then the answer is yes.

No is a legitimate answer. If you accept Kronecker's philosophy of mathematics, then the answer is no.

Both Kronecker and Cantor were far better mathematicians than anyone here on AT. If you wish to make an informed decision on this question, please do research on the two differing philosophies of mathematics that quarreled with each other in the late 19th century. One of them is more commonly accepted than the other, but both are indeed valid philosophies. Modern day mathematicians respect both points of view, even if they choose to adhere to one of these views. Kronecker and Cantor are both highly respected.

Whether you answer yes or no, you are giving a correct answer. And those who chose the opposite answer from you are equally correct. And neither of you has anywhere near the mathematical understanding to comprehend why both of you have given valid answers. You likely won't even know which mathematician's philosophy is required to justify your answer.

But just for future reference - you're both right, and you're both idiots.

Jiman Game profile

Apr 26th 2012, 3:53:06

Best Post of the day.

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Apr 26th 2012, 4:00:22

Maybe.
Originally posted by NOW3P:
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

Marco Game profile

Apr 26th 2012, 4:16:41

Rockman is wrong no matter how much sense he spews.

Marco Game profile

Apr 26th 2012, 4:23:48

http://www.youtube.com/...ture=youtube_gdata_player

Disregard the last 2 words in the video

ClayQ Game profile

Apr 26th 2012, 6:09:29

No, im right and youre wrong, period end of story.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 26th 2012, 6:13:31

Transfinite set theory = boss.

toma Game profile

Apr 26th 2012, 8:31:35

more like kronecker was a whiny fluff like most of AT.
Originally posted by Slagpit:
Ruining peoples fun for no reason is okay, but ruining it for a reason I disagree with isn't okay. Never change, community.

Sifos Game profile

Apr 26th 2012, 9:47:40

I'm a better mathematician than Kronecker to the power of Cantor!

I thus reject both these as blasphemous, and you're all idiots!

My proof?
Let's, assume the universe is infinite, If you have no Sifos, it's still infinite
Sifos*0 = X/0
now:
X/0/0 = super infinity = Sifos >>> 1^1 >= 0.999...^0.999...
Mathematically, there exists infinity, so the universe must be infinite since it incorporates maths. Proof done.
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Apr 26th 2012, 20:32:40

Originally posted by Rockman:
Yes is a legitimate answer. If you accept Cantor's philosophy of mathematics, then the answer is yes.

No is a legitimate answer. If you accept Kronecker's philosophy of mathematics, then the answer is no.

Both Kronecker and Cantor were far better mathematicians than anyone here on AT. If you wish to make an informed decision on this question, please do research on the two differing philosophies of mathematics that quarreled with each other in the late 19th century. One of them is more commonly accepted than the other, but both are indeed valid philosophies. Modern day mathematicians respect both points of view, even if they choose to adhere to one of these views. Kronecker and Cantor are both highly respected.

Whether you answer yes or no, you are giving a correct answer. And those who chose the opposite answer from you are equally correct. And neither of you has anywhere near the mathematical understanding to comprehend why both of you have given valid answers. You likely won't even know which mathematician's philosophy is required to justify your answer.

But just for future reference - you're both right, and you're both idiots.

math is broke.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 26th 2012, 20:37:45

.99999....=1

When measured, is either a wave, or a particle.

Discuss!
Z is #1

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 27th 2012, 13:21:23

Modern math generally follows Cantor when it comes to stochastic calculus (financial and engineering modelling) and some other things.. that doesn't make Kronecker any less correct and his ideas (including the circle cross product thingy) were very valuable contributions to mathematics.
Your point gets to the whole crux of the issue which is that mathematics is a philosophy and not a science and it's entirely based on man made rules. It just happens to be a very useful tool for enabling us to solve all kinds of problems as well as to help us do Science. But it's no more a "science" than my hammer.

Edited By: martian on Apr 27th 2012, 13:24:09
See Original Post
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Rockman Game profile

Apr 27th 2012, 14:24:14

Originally posted by martian:
Modern math generally follows Cantor when it comes to stochastic calculus (financial and engineering modelling) and some other things.. that doesn't make Kronecker any less correct and his ideas (including the circle cross product thingy) were very valuable contributions to mathematics.
Your point gets to the whole crux of the issue which is that mathematics is a philosophy and not a science and it's entirely based on man made rules. It just happens to be a very useful tool for enabling us to solve all kinds of problems as well as to help us do Science. But it's no more a "science" than my hammer.

Yep, Cantor is the one I was referring to as "more commonly accepted."

crest23 Game profile

Apr 27th 2012, 15:21:34

Is 1 - .999................ = ZERO?
The Nigerian Nightmare.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 27th 2012, 15:33:58

ONLY THE INFINITE MONKEYS CAN DIVIDE BY ZERO!
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

UBer Bu Game profile

Apr 27th 2012, 15:40:59

Hmm, reminds me of this one Seinfeld episode...
-take off every sig.

Detmer Game profile

Apr 27th 2012, 16:14:00

Originally posted by toma:
more like kronecker was a whiny fluff like most of AT.

This

BobbyATA Game profile

Apr 27th 2012, 16:19:29

rockman I think you have a somewhat narrow view of math. Most of us don't give a crap what the logicians say (or what any outside of our very specialized subfield say).

Wharfed

Apr 27th 2012, 18:08:06

If you are an engineer, .999=1
If you are a chemist, .999 =/= 1 =/= 1.0 =/= 1.00
Also if you are a chemist, .999+1 = 2 =/= 1.999 =/= 2.000

Edited By: Wharfed on Apr 27th 2012, 18:12:19
See Original Post
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

davidoss Game profile

Apr 27th 2012, 18:13:01

Wall of text.

CGiboney Game profile

Apr 28th 2012, 3:14:25

try and short a crack head .999 of a gram.

Unholy Monks

CandyMan Game profile

May 1st 2012, 14:22:48

How many posts does it take Rockman to try to sound smarter than the rest of AT when no one gives a crap? 0.999...

Schilling Game profile

May 2nd 2012, 1:22:53

When something costs $0.99 I still need to break my $1.00...So, I conclude that it might as well just be a freakin dollar.