Verified:

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 5th 2012, 15:29:54

TY Game profile

Feb 5th 2012, 15:39:18

We can't even get the food and other resources that we try an send to help to the people because their government hoards it all. How can we expect this to work?
There's a great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together.
Josh Billings

Detmer Game profile

Feb 5th 2012, 15:53:53

I quit reading after

"While invoking the plight of the world’s poor as a justification to create a slush fund under its control, the UN is also invoking the discredited pseudo-science of man-made global warming in an effort to shake down the developed world through the imposition of carbon taxes."

since it is clear that the author is ignorant of the world around him and completely uneducated on the matters he is writing about.

Pain Game profile

Feb 5th 2012, 20:01:07

so are you saying that global warming is real?
Your mother is a nice woman

Detmer Game profile

Feb 5th 2012, 20:01:46

Originally posted by Pain:
so are you saying that global warming is real?

Oh yes.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 5th 2012, 20:08:25

Pain didn't you see the other post? Detmer is a champion for global warming.

I'm not convinced we are the complete cause for global warming but we do have an impact on our environment. To what degree are we responsible? Well I believe that is where Detmer and I would find disagreement :p

But this topic wasn't really about global warming per se.

Sir Balin Game profile

Feb 5th 2012, 21:13:41

With conspiracy theories, I always want to just cut to the chase and ask, Who is the 'they' that are behind everything? Surely not the UN. Who are the puppetmasters and what do they want?

Detmer Game profile

Feb 5th 2012, 21:17:11

Originally posted by Requiem:

I'm not convinced we are the complete cause for global warming but we do have an impact on our environment. To what degree are we responsible? Well I believe that is where Detmer and I would find disagreement :p

Why are you not convinced Req? The overwhelming majority of climate scientists (the experts) are. Have you read extensive scientific (not oil/coal/automotive lobbyist internet misinformation, but actual research and data) literature on the subject? My mind is boggled why so many people think they know better than the experts...

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 5th 2012, 21:39:51

Not all experts agree Detmer. Also the term "overwhelming majority" is a bit ambiguous there.

I'm not saying I don't think there is global warming I'm simply saying to what degree are we responsible vs. the nature of things?

Who said I thought I know better than the experts? I believe my statement was "I'm not convinced". If you're so offended I'm not a believer then my friend "convince" me.

Ivan Game profile

Feb 5th 2012, 21:40:20

What requim means is that not all americans believe in it but most other people do :P

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 5th 2012, 21:42:26

Originally posted by Ivan:

What requim means is that not all Americans believe in it but most other people do :P

Fixed it for you.

Schilling Game profile

Feb 5th 2012, 22:14:24

I can't stand it when someone in some government body gets on the "save the whole world" band wagon and decides to do it by taking money from the rest of the people that have earned it. If they're so passionate about this world hunger thing, they can fund it from their own, very well padded bank accounts.

archaic Game profile

Feb 5th 2012, 23:07:18

I wish I could be a wacko pundit, what a life - I bet they get all the chicks.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

iScode Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 0:02:18

Originally posted by Detmer:

Why are you not convinced Req? The overwhelming majority of climate scientists (the experts) are. Have you read extensive scientific (not oil/coal/automotive lobbyist internet misinformation, but actual research and data) literature on the subject? My mind is boggled why so many people think they know better than the experts...

errr you do realise these so called "experts" lie dont you???

Global warming is nothing but the planets natural cycle that we just kinda gave it a hurry up. To think we are directly responsible for causing global warming is naive and retarded...
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

iScode Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 0:05:17

oh this also reminds me of our yearly performance review at work. they asked us each to grade our selves on things, one being "social responsibility". I mean what sort of bullfluff is that, what responsibility do i have to a society that is lead by liars and cheats????

I graded myself a D...
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

archaic Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 14:43:24

dammit scode, sheep are society too you know

(I'd have given you a C for learning to let her cum first)

Fruity Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 14:52:37

like a sir

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 6th 2012, 16:31:35

As Detmer said, the overwhelming majority of environmental scientists support the theory of global warming. The public debate has been overwhelmed by very wealthy interest groups (oil industry etc.) who have spent enough money to discredit the scientists or just bore everyone to death so nothing will be done.

Here in Canada, the Conservative government has pulled out of Kyoto and slashed the budget for Environment Canada. We are no longer able to monitor ozone levels in the arctic for example. I suspect that the long term strategists see global warming as being good for Canada.. we would have a lot more arable land and places to send worker immigrants. We are also about to criminalize a large percentage of the population, US style, and will need somewhere to send the criminals; how about a Yukon gulag with work farms? Finally, we want to develop our filthy oil sands without environmentalist interference.

Detmer Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 16:41:57

Not all experts agree Detmer. Also the term "overwhelming majority" is a bit ambiguous there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...opinion_on_climate_change

I'm not saying I don't think there is global warming I'm simply saying to what degree are we responsible vs. the nature of things?

Who said I thought I know better than the experts? I believe my statement was "I'm not convinced". If you're so offended I'm not a believer then my friend "convince" me.

I am sorry I don't have time to type up a personalized response

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/...ure/giss_temperature2.php

Two reputable sources that cover a range of topics.

Detmer Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 16:45:45

Originally posted by iScode:
Originally posted by Detmer:

errr you do realise these so called "experts" lie dont you???

Global warming is nothing but the planets natural cycle that we just kinda gave it a hurry up. To think we are directly responsible for causing global warming is naive and retarded...

Earth's natural orbital cycles would be sending us into a period of cooling right now... the reason it is warming up is due to us. This deviation from the natural cycle actually started thousands of years ago, coincident with the development of wide-spread agriculture and has recently taken off with the Industrial Revolution.

I am honestly surprised to see such a naive and retarded response from a kiwi...

TY Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 16:52:41

I am not even going to try and talk on this because there are to many that know way more than I on the subject, but are you saying just the growing of food is contributing to global warming?
Josh Billings

Detmer Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 16:59:38

Originally posted by TY:
I am not even going to try and talk on this because there are to many that know way more than I on the subject, but are you saying just the growing of food is contributing to global warming?

Massive deforestation, particularly through slash and burn. If I get a chance at work today I'll try to dig up an article that was written a few years ago on the topic and is intended to be geared towards a fairly general audience.

TY Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 17:11:10

yea after posting that i went and took a shower and thought about it. I realized that was what you meant.
Josh Billings

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 6th 2012, 17:52:01

Originally posted by TY:
yea after posting that i went and took a shower and thought about it. I realized that was what you meant.

i have profound thoughts in the shower, not of global warming though
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

BobbyATA Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 20:20:31

actually, contrary to what the UN says, plenty of people should live well below what a person can truly survive on I would think. Them living in such terrible conditions will help spur on change to occur in their local governments.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 6th 2012, 23:14:08

Detmer don't give me a wiki link as support for anything lolwiki :p

Also I like how the topic was not about global warming however Detmer hijacked this thread with global warming!

And Ty I also take cold showers after I talk to Detmer! (joke for slow people who think im always serious, you know who you are.)

Chaoswind Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 23:21:18

<---- poor country guy

I rather you all sent me 1 dollar a month via pay pal, all the money you sent to our governments stays in our government :(

wait... that money buys new things for our officials... yeah that is better
Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

uldust Game profile

Feb 6th 2012, 23:50:26

and all we need to do to fix is--------?

Detmer Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 0:16:12

Detmer don't give me a wiki link as support for anything lolwiki :p

I read the article there. It is legit. It corroborates what I already know. I told you the purpose of it was not as a source of research but to avoid having to write it myself.

Also I like how the topic was not about global warming however Detmer hijacked this thread with global warming!

That was an aside and people decided to pick that up. No one had to respond to me =P

Jiman Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 0:58:18

Whether or not Global warming is real, we should always take into consideration on how we treat the environment.

Klown Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 1:05:52

The problem with climate science is the problem with the peer review process. Publishing articles promoting the current 'prevailing theory' lands you prestigious government posts, positions on panels, etc. Scientists receive government money to produce papers supporting the theory, money that would instantly be cut off if their research found results that goes against the current theory. Attempting to publish an article running contrary to the theory ends your career. Read the 'Climategate' e-mails. Those guys made sure no critics got published anywhere.

aponic Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 1:39:36

The earth has many cycles of weather and many of those cycles are effected by the solar system, the greater galaxy, and the universe. With that comes the notion that some periods will be warmer and some cooler. If we are in a global cooling period that does not mean that global warming does not exist. The trickery comes in equating the idea of carbon emissions and the greenhouse effect with the term global warming and poorly informed people equating that term to be the opposite of global cooling.

Regardless of what period in the earth climate cycle we are in, the concept of carbon emissions leading to a greenhouse effect is valid. Many of you are simply foolish and easily manipulated.
SOF
Cerevisi

Detmer Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 1:44:57

Originally posted by Klown:
The problem with climate science is the problem with the peer review process. Publishing articles promoting the current 'prevailing theory' lands you prestigious government posts, positions on panels, etc. Scientists receive government money to produce papers supporting the theory, money that would instantly be cut off if their research found results that goes against the current theory. Attempting to publish an article running contrary to the theory ends your career. Read the 'Climategate' e-mails. Those guys made sure no critics got published anywhere.

1) The "climategate" guys were exonerated

2) You clearly have never worked in academia... science is a bunch of people whose purpose in life is to shoot down everyone else's work while not having theirs shot down. The peer review process does an excellent job of maintaining high levels of rigor in research.

archaic Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 1:49:41

Detmer - the new Callipgyean

carry the banner high and with pride me friend

Detmer Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 1:52:38

I was actually admiring myself in the mirror today and it is an apt title (assuming you mean callipygian.)

Klown Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 2:03:41

I actually have worked in academia. Climate change clearly proves that the process is not suited for highly politicized issues.

Detmer Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 2:04:54

Originally posted by Klown:
I actually have worked in academia.

What sort of position in what sort of field?

Klown Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 2:17:57

Grad student/TA in the social sciences. Published two papers while I was there.

gwagers Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 3:31:52

Global warming: I'm with Detmer.

Back to the topic at hand, if a global tax could help people, I might even consider it. The fact is that it wouldn't. Not only are the governments involved corrupt, but can you imagine the logistics of trying to ship food to every hungry person on the planet? When the government doesn't have money for irrigation projects, they don't have money for roads either, and that's assuming that people aren't moving around quite a lot, too (starving people might do that if they're looking for food). Shipping companies will definitely want their cut, and we have to assume that they'll do the job right. And who knows how to do that if there aren't accurate records of how many people living in such and such a place, etc.?

I admit, I'm no expert. These are just my thoughts, and someone with better knowledge might easily find them faulty. But I imagine that shipping, more than anything, would be the real Achilles Heel of any plan such as this one.
Peloponnese (PEHL-oh-puh-NEES): a mythical land of cheesecake

"We cannot enter into alliance with neighboring princes until we are acquainted with their designs..."--Sun Tzu

Who has time for that? BLAST THEM ALL!

TY Game profile

Feb 7th 2012, 3:39:04

I married my wife because of her callipygian.

/me dances around cause he learned a new word
Josh Billings