Verified:

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Dec 6th 2011, 3:29:04

4 conferences? 4 teams from each conference make the playoffs?

The NHL brass must be morons.
The alignment has 2 8 team conferences and 2 7 team conferences.

All else being equal teams in conferences A and B have a 50% chance of making the playoffs, while teams in conferences C and D have a 57.1% chance of making the playoffs.

What a joke.

Forum Moderator

Dec 6th 2011, 3:29:42

On the plus side: The leafs are in a 7 team conference.

Wharfed

Dec 6th 2011, 3:41:00

I still don't understand why the Islanders and Rangers are still in the same conference/division. Makes no sense.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

locket Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 3:58:42

Wharfed... are you kidding or is that a serious comment?

I also think the different sized divisions is dumb... perhaps they will have a small rule to keep it fair but who knows...

Forum Moderator

Dec 6th 2011, 4:07:30

The only thing I can see is their hopes to expand by another couple teams (Quebec city will be one of them, but who will the other be? Kansas City? Seattle?)

Edited By: H4xOr WaNgEr on Dec 6th 2011, 4:38:00
See Original Post

locket Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 4:13:53

Expanding would blow. The level of play just goes down for every team overall which to me is just lame.

Forum Moderator

Dec 6th 2011, 4:41:23

well, the crop of players coming up is ever expanding too. Population growth and increases median wealth contribute to this (Hockey is an expensive sport). Lets not forget its growing popularity in nontraditional markets as well, like California.

hawkeyee Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 5:01:29

Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:
The only thing I can see is their hopes to expand by another couple teams (Quebec city will be one of them, but who will the other be? Kansas City? Seattle?)

Markham
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

mrford Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 5:27:50

ppl watch hockey?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

CaptainTenacious Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 5:39:59

so even if 5th place team in conferance A has more points than the 4th or 3rd placed teams in conferance C, the conferance A team will not go to the playoffs?
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.
Moderation being an imaginary place i go to when i drink.

locket Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 5:47:26

Yah, it sounds like the top 4 in each go and the rest don't matter. It could end up like football with the Seahawks making it with a below 500 record last year.

I think it should be top 3 make it and then the top 2 teams remaining from the 8 team conferences make it and the top 2 from the 7 team conferences.

mrford Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 5:47:49

thats kinda the definition of a conference isnt it?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Dec 6th 2011, 5:56:15

well right now there are 2 conferences, ford, east and west, where the top 8 from both would play against each others, then the 2 conference champs would go on to play for the stanley cup

it should just go back to the way it was before they changed it back in th 90's
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.

Dec 6th 2011, 5:56:57

Originally posted by CaptainTenacious:
well right now there are 2 conferences, ford, east and west, where the top 8 from both would play against their fellow east/west teams, then the 2 conference champs would go on to play for the stanley cup

~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.

Dec 6th 2011, 5:57:18

totally meant that second one to be an edit
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.

locket Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 5:58:23

Fail!

mrford Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 6:00:23

Originally posted by CaptainTenacious:
well right now there are 2 conferences, ford, east and west, where the top 8 from both would play against each others, then the 2 conference champs would go on to play for the stanley cup

i dont like hockey, its not my thing. but that sounds like the NBA. the new system will gave the dark horses a chance and make conference games that much more important, kinda like baseball ans NFL.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 6th 2011, 6:00:40

On the plus side: The leafs are in a 7 team conference.

cool, so we can finish 5th or worse.... or, at best, lose to Tampa, Boston or Buffalo in the first round if we make it in!

Norris conference ftw!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Rockman Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 9:44:00

4 conferences? 4 teams from each conference make the playoffs?

The NHL brass must be morons.
The alignment has 2 8 team conferences and 2 7 team conferences.

All else being equal teams in conferences A and B have a 50% chance of making the playoffs, while teams in conferences C and D have a 57.1% chance of making the playoffs.

What a joke.

But not all else is equal. The skill of the GM running the team and the pockets of the owner matters a lot. In baseball, I'm a Cardinals fan, and we have a 1 in 6 chance of winning our division, if all else is equal. But, given that we have the Cubs, Pirates, and Astros in our division, I would not want to switch places with any other team, especially not with the Orioles, Rays, or Blue Jays.

Some teams are perennial winners, other teams are perennial losers. What matters isn't how many teams are in your division, but how good the teams in your division are.

archaic Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 9:50:14

Probably two more cities in the southern US that don't give a rats ass about hockey (nashville, atlanta, dallas, phoenix, charlotte, etc.). Does it hurt that we are ruining your sport?
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

koonfasa

Dec 6th 2011, 10:39:47

If they've evened up travel and timezones, I'm all for it.

Edited By: koonfasa on Dec 6th 2011, 10:43:20. Reason: either way
See Original Post

hawkeyee Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 12:58:33

By making the two EST conferences both 7 teams they eliminate so many options to solve the numbers problem. If they move an EST team from Conference B into C or D then you have 8 and 7 team conferences from the West and 8 and 7 team conferences from the East. Top 3 make it from each conference, and then the next two best records from each East and West. In that case if the 5th best team in one conference has a better record than the 4th best team in the other in their same region then they make the playoffs over them. Still keeps the importance of conferences but eliminates the fact that 14 teams have an better chance making the playoffs than the remaining 16.
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 6th 2011, 14:20:35

Rockman:
baseball has no salary cap; that's a major problem right there

that + a bajillion games per season. i'm a jays fan (mainly because of geography/sentimentalness from them winning while I was really young) but I realize there is really no way they will be making the playoffs for years :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Forum Moderator

Dec 6th 2011, 16:12:33

ROckman: that isn't the point. There will always be conditions to start the season that puts one team ahead of others (just based on roaster, for example). But that is equitable because teams are an aggregation of previous decisions by management.

This is a systematic unfairness that exists regardless of of the quality of specific teams.

Havoc Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 16:44:25

As a wings fan.. not huge about the 8 vs 7 conferences, but okay with how they were split up. Like the idea of every team being guaranteed to play every other team at least once at home and away as well.

And maybe they designed it with the Yotes and maybe CBJ being sacked in mind:S

Map with time-zones: http://i.imgur.com/LT3h9.png

The florida lumped in with the North-East thing is pretty silly, but apparently its to bring in more revenue for the Florida teams from vacationing Northerners in the winter time. Makes sense I guess.
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Deerhunter Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 17:53:13

5 conferences, with the St. Louis Blues in their own Conference. It is the only way they will ever see a play off game.
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

Forum Moderator

Dec 6th 2011, 18:28:52

Originally posted by archaic:

Probably two more cities in the southern US that don't give a rats ass about hockey (nashville, atlanta, dallas, phoenix, charlotte, etc.). Does it hurt that we are ruining your sport?

Nashville does pretty well attendance wise actually.

mrford Game profile

Dec 6th 2011, 20:25:06

why would charlotte get a hockey team?

the Carolina Hurricanes are in Raleigh. i was there for game 7 a few years back. was it 2005? only hockey game ive ever attended
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Forum Moderator

Dec 6th 2011, 21:34:29

Carolina also does very well attendance wise, no financial troubles there (Im' sure their 2 trips to the stanley cup in the last decade helped with this, but still).

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 7th 2011, 0:23:17

ya.. I can't think of any other teams in serious financial trouble except columbus (horrible management), Dallas (bad market), and phoenix (honestly, who thought that was a good idea besides Gary Bettman?).

I would love to see any of those teams in Canada, even if it is in Quebec City. I think we need a Hamilton Hammers, Waterloo BlackBerries or Toronto Maple Leaves.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 7th 2011, 1:22:04

Saskatoon Saskatoonberries?
haha
Finally did the signature thing.

dsquintz Game profile

Dec 7th 2011, 2:12:26

huge mistake.

archaic Game profile

Dec 7th 2011, 3:11:50

there are entirely two many fluffin canadians in upper management around here . . .
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 7th 2011, 4:45:34

there are entirely two many fluffin canadians in upper management around here . . .

only because the Americans and Irish both failed.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Forgotten

Jan 12th 2012, 23:58:36

The realiignment is scraped.

Watch for Coyotes to be in Quebec by next season and a simple switch solves the problem
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

lostmonk Game profile

Jan 13th 2012, 0:11:29

Originally posted by locket:
Expanding would blow. The level of play just goes down for every team overall which to me is just lame.

You must be watching different hockey. The crop of young players making its way into the NHL now is phenomenal.
Done.

jabberwocky Game profile

Jan 13th 2012, 0:25:57

that's too bad, it looked like a good idea. I was excited to see vancouver and san jose in the same division, after all the bad blood in the playoffs, more match ups would be fun to see.

Although conference C doesn't make any sense to me, a bunch of north east teams with Tampa bay and florida??

Forgotten

Jan 13th 2012, 0:29:52

if Panthers can scrape the season together and make it into the playoffs, they might last a few more years.

The Blue Jackets though, are done for.
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

Nuketon Game profile

Jan 13th 2012, 0:46:08

Bring back hockey to Hartford! Damn Whalers won it the first year they left. Man how I miss having cheap pro hockey 20 mins away...

/dream

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 13th 2012, 19:33:04

Originally posted by Pang:
I would love to see any of those teams in Canada, even if it is in Quebec City....

bring Montreal Wanderers back !!!! ;)
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================