Verified:

Iovan Game profile

Jun 10th 2011, 1:06:30

Instead of being able to drop land I think it should be possible to sell land off on the public market. I don't think it could be abused very easily since land is still limited in totality the same as it currently is.

Has this ever been discussed before?

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 10th 2011, 3:13:47

wouldnt that just mean techers buy all the land?

Jade Penn Game profile

Jun 10th 2011, 13:14:20

yeap, it would make for easy teching. Of couse that would mean a lot more tech produced and on the market so tech prices would fall quite a bit. It could be interesting to see how the different strats would fair and maybe a new land producing strat would come out of it also. I'm sure it would up the amount of grabs to sell the land and end in more wars of the ffa server.

Rockman Game profile

Jun 10th 2011, 15:14:17

Not easily abused? I doubt it. For starters, you need to prohibit anyone from selling land who has done an attack in the last 72 hours. That kinda limits it a little bit.

Marshal Game profile

Jun 10th 2011, 21:33:02

basically every strat (besides mbr but those exists usually near end of set) would buy that land and it would be easy to exploit at FFA (by itself) and elsewhere by friends/alliancemates playing together where 1 sells land low and other buys it.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

General Earl Game profile

Jun 10th 2011, 22:59:15

If land was a market good (like any other), the market may regulate itself... However land is only limited by the number of players, by explore rates, grabs, ghost acres, etc.. But for the most part, there isn't a very strict limit of how much land can be 'in-play' at a time.

When you can virtually pull land out of your ass at the cost of a turn, land limits get stretched further. I won't say an 'ininite' amount of land, but as it is now you can 'create' land yourself all set, for 'free'.

The only way you could make selling land viable is if you put a harder limit on how much land could actually exist in the game at a given time. You could do this by limiting a player's ability to explore after a certain number of acres (or turns), even nerf (or get rid of) ghost acres. This would really increase the value of land, making it a more finite resource.

I do like the idea of making land harder to come by (for free), even capping the total amount of acres per server is an interesting thought. (That means only a certain amount of land could exist in the game according to how many players were playing on that server, NOT limit the actual amount a player *could* acquire throughout a set.)

I'm sure there's lots more people who'd vehemently disagree with me on that though.

I can't really say there's much of a future in making land a market resource unless people would be willing to deal with a ton of other uplifting game changes to go along with it. It's doubtful the game devs would want to indulge in this kind of experimental change.

General Earl
----
Every time I read AT: http://i.imgur.com/jeryjn8.gif
︻╦╤─✮ ┄ ┄ RatttaTaatataatat!

Iovan Game profile

Jun 12th 2011, 3:17:55

The ability to get land in totality wouldn't change though. The land being sold would have to be obtained through normal means (unless you are reselling land...) so it's still the same limited amount of land going around. Someone is having to sacrifice the land they have for profit. Sure in an alliance this can be abused. If everyone can do it though how is it a huge issue?

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 13th 2011, 6:25:18

no the land going around would increase

a country exploring at 2k explores more than a country exploring at more

anything which causes land to remain closer to 2k increases total land explored

and a probably effect would be people grabbing to gain land after a single retal (what i usually call topfeeding but focus on the process not a description which people may object to) would now have an additional reason (besides griefing) to keep their land below their targets land allowing the process to continue for the whole set