Verified:

Ron Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 16:45:30

My fiancee and I are trying to plan a free and easy tour to Paris (for about 5-6 days) for our honeymoon so would like to ask if anyone here is staying in Paris and could offer me some advice:

We r planning to stay near the Eiffel Tower as I foresee that we will be staying on the Tower till late so it may be more convenient that way...

We are thinking of spending a night in Disney since I think the firework and stuff will end late so it may be difficult to find our way back to the hotel near the Eiffel Tower? Looking at Vienna International Dream Castle Hotel which looks decent and comes at a reasonable price.

Questions:

1) Would you suggest that I stay near the Eiffel Tower? I would presume as long as I have a train station nearby I should be fine?

2) Would you suggest that I spend 2D1N at Disney and spend a night there, or just do a day trip and find my way back to Paris city at night after all the fireworks and stuff? Are there enough things to occupy us for like.. 1.5 - 2 days?

Thanks for your advice in advance =)

MorTcuS Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 17:15:40

im not sure any earther is from france.
174099715 (not in use)

Steam : wargasm1

Detmer Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 18:09:25

I have known a handful of Earthers from France but I can't think of any still playing... last one I knew was in Fist which is a bad sign for if he is still playing =P

braden Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 18:39:46

i was to see the arc d'triamph or however you'd spell it. and war memorials from ww1 and ww11.

that sounds like a lovely trip, ron. we should all be so lucky :)

(but i have no actual help for you :P)

NOW3P Game profile

Mar 2nd 2011, 22:59:24

Avoid Euro-Disney like the plague!

It is so dark and dreary and depressing it's just sad. I went and absolutely hated it, and have talked to lots of others who have had the same experience. It is a far cry from Disneyland/world in the US to say the least - but then again, what can you expect from a country that still considers mimes entertaining? (joke!)

I would suggest maybe checking out some of the French country side instead if you're into wine, or just flat out going out to wander around. There's more than enough within walking/cab/bus distance of the Eiffel Tower to keep you occupied, and you can really diversify your visit however you like. A little pre-planning is good, but in a city like Paris it can be just as fun to go out and see what looks good since the culture/entertainment is so different than what we're used to in the US.

Feel free to PM if you'd like more specific insights.

ponderer Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 22:07:33

my wife and I started our honeymoon in Paris.

The best part was the string quartet concert we went to at Sainte-Chapelle - we weren't planning it, just saw a sign advertising it, bought tickets. The other choice we made, which really added to our experience was to take the buses instead of the metro as much as possible (we bought transit passes). Some favorite memories were sunset at Sacre Coeur, ice cream on the Ile Saint Louis, and just enjoying the city and it's atmosphere.

I also really enjoyed parc de la villette (I'm an architect, so that one might not be your taste), parc des buttes chaumont, pere lachaise (a cemetery might seem an odd place to visit, but the pere lachaise was concieved as much as a public park as a final resting place, and there is some amazing sculpture), the catacombs, the pompidou center, saint denis (just outside of paris to the north) and of course the lourve.

My advice would be to skip euro-disney, and just drink in the atmosphere in Paris - wander through the parks, churches, and museums, the boulevards and neighborhoods, relax, enjoy the cafes crepes, and pastries, and just have a good time. If you want to send me a PM with specific questions, I'll ask my wife, the franco-phile what her recommendations are (she spent a summer studying art history at the lourve and knows the city pretty well).
m0m0rific

NOW3P Game profile

Mar 5th 2011, 22:42:17

Something else to consider if you're thinking about a day at Euro Disney:

http://maps.google.com/...5747&ie=UTF8&z=11

It is 45 minutes if you drive directly or take a cab. It's more like an hour if you take a bus/trains.

Ron Game profile

Mar 6th 2011, 2:38:47

wow thanks for the advice NOW3P and Ponderer!!

hmm the Euro Disney is that bad huh...
actually the only reason I wanted to include that for the trip is because I have been to Paris before and that's like the only thing I have not seen when I was there the last time round..
Also, both of us have not been to any Disney before, so I thought we will give it a try since we have like a week in Paris...

hmm but if it's that bad, then maybe I should scrap the staying for a night idea at least.. since staying there means I need to spend 2 days at the Disney.. hahahaha
maybe if she still wants to go Disney then we will just go for a day trip or something.. =)

As for the Magny-le-Hongre..
Is this website correct?
http://www.magnylehongre.fr/

seems like theres no english version though!!
Google Translate go go go~~ hahahaha

Anyway thanks again for the advice guys!!
Really appreciate it!
Will PM u guys after I go find out more about your suggestions!! =D

Ron Game profile

May 13th 2011, 15:40:43

weeeeee after discussing with my fiancee, we decided to skip Euro Disney as u all have suggested.. hehehe

anyway just wondering, any idea on cheap places to buy clothes n bags n basically local stuff at local price? Not necessarily branded stuff as long as it's nice and stylish.. We can't afford the LVs and Chanels even though I heard they are really cheap there.. =(

Fowlski77 Game profile

May 16th 2011, 4:30:53

Edited By: Fowlski77 on Jan 16th 2015, 22:44:45

Assassin Game profile

May 16th 2011, 14:00:39

lemon curry?

Ron Game profile

May 17th 2011, 6:22:12

haha yeah we are staying Eiffel so I m sure I can find it.. but wondering where to get cheap clothings n bagsss

Assassin what's lemon curry?!

Assassin Game profile

May 18th 2011, 17:48:27

heh, it's an old monty python line - someone would randomly pop up in the middle of a show and ask "lemon curry?" with a puzzled/disgusted face. i use it whenever i'm making a post just to get my bonus points. this week the roulette wheel came up with this thread.

Assassin Game profile

May 18th 2011, 17:51:10

NOW3P Game profile

May 20th 2011, 4:05:32

If you want cheap clothes and bags....go south to Spain :-P

ponderer Game profile

May 22nd 2011, 1:54:16

There was a market on the square in St. Denis, and my wife got a couple of dresses there, but I'd hardly call them designer clothing.
m0m0rific

Z Game profile

May 22nd 2011, 2:47:57

The smelly hairy armpits are the women the rude li twits are the boys,,,,,,,,, clean clothes and smelly people. whereas Ethiopia has dirty cloths and clean people.The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent events in Libya and the announcement of the death of Osama bin Laden, and have therefore raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France 's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbor" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels .

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia , meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "She'll be alright, Mate." Two more escalation levels remain: "Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!" and "The barbie is canceled." So far no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

-- John Cleese - British writer (of Monty Python fame), actor and tall person

nuff said~ lol-Z

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 26th 2011, 5:47:01

heh i didn't see this thread;

I did 4 weeks in Paris a half a dozen years ago... definitely Arc De Triomphe, but that's quick; if you're into art or history, the Louvre is awesome (not quite the vatican museum or the british museum, but awesome nonetheless)...

I also really enjoyed Verseilles though that's a bit out of the city, but a good day trip by train; and yea, really you can stay anywhere and get anywhere by train / metro...

Notre Dame of course... and try heading down some of those small alleys by Notre Dame for some cheap but nice food (there's like a whole alley of greek food just to the south of notre dame i think)

If you're in to history (like me) then the tomb of Napoleon in l'hotel des invalides is cool, thats also close to the eiffel tower...

As for cheap... well i don't know where you can get anything cheap in paris...
Finally did the signature thing.

Makinso Game profile

Jun 2nd 2011, 10:31:15

Paris and cheap is hard really as those kinds of shops usually are a bit shady and tend to move around or have market stands (that of course move around).

I suggest just keeping your eyes and ears open when it comes to wanting cheap stuff.

Junky Game profile

Jun 5th 2011, 20:26:20

I read the topic and thought to myself, if he's needing help with Paris, then he's either not rich and snobby, or not famous enough for her... either one is hard to not be qualified as being.
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

ComCap Game profile

Jun 6th 2011, 2:31:25

Paris is an interesting city but sometimes the people aren't the nicest, if you can get through their exterior they might show you the few good deals there are in the city

NOW3P Game profile

Jun 9th 2011, 17:38:02

Maki's right - if you find a good deal in Paris, it probably means it "fell off the back of a truck" somewhere.

Hope ya had fun.

Cerberus_MI

EE Patron

Jun 17th 2011, 2:30:59

1. Prepare for the awful stench there.

2. There aren't any fireworks at Disney there, the French Army keeps trying to surrender to Mickey.

3. Everything will cost more if you're an American.
Cerberus of the MI