(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

spawn Game profile

Apr 4th 2011, 16:00:38

hehe
/slap iZarcon

All your deleted countries are belong to me!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 4th 2011, 17:09:03

It's relative to ROME! haha well not really, but it sure seems that way doesn't it :)
Finally did the signature thing.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 4th 2011, 17:11:16

Looking at asian maps of the world is fun. North America is "the east" and Europe is "the west"

On the other hand, how can you have and "eastern half" and a "western half" on a rotating sphere anyway...
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

NukEvil Game profile

Apr 4th 2011, 19:03:29

What's always bugged me:

"<insert weather/geological event/other natural event> caught on camera/tape..."

For example:

"Storm chasers caught this tornado on camera as it ripped through a shopping mall..."

They say it like the tornado was "caught" with its hand in a cookie jar or something, acting surprised that someone would be watching it with a camera...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Foobooy Evolution Game profile

Apr 4th 2011, 21:45:08

We always assign human traits to weather events...see you do believe in God!!!!!

mrford Game profile

Apr 4th 2011, 21:58:31

its based on Germany and Berlin. the sides of the wall.

Eastern powers and Western powers.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Evolution Game profile

Apr 4th 2011, 22:24:25

Originally posted by Foobooy Evolution:
We always assign human traits to weather events...see you do believe in God!!!!!

Actually we personify nature due to cognitve heuristic errors. Speeds up processing at the cost of errors.
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

trumper Game profile

Apr 4th 2011, 23:19:22

Originally posted by Evolution:
Originally posted by Foobooy Evolution:

Actually we personify nature due to cognitve heuristic errors. Speeds up processing at the cost of errors.

Bonus points for the SAT word: heuristic. Points subtracted for misspelling 'cognitive'.

Foobooy Evolution Game profile

Apr 5th 2011, 3:18:10

I "Heart" trumper

cypress Game profile

Apr 5th 2011, 3:25:09

Originally posted by mrford:

WHAT ABOUT AUSTIN POWERS?!?!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 6th 2011, 13:11:45

Originally posted by mrford:

Actually it predates that. :P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Dragonlance Game profile

Apr 6th 2011, 13:16:56

just face the truth.

i know it's hard to exist.

But Borat's town in glorious kazakhstan is the centre of the world.

Very niiice!

Dragonlance Game profile

Apr 6th 2011, 13:20:41

serious answer:

I was about to drop a HILARIOUs joke about the most important point in the world being the opposite side from martian blah blah blah..

then i realised the antipodean point from toronto.. is like the south pole....

So i'll just go with TAN being the most important bloke in the world and thus everything is named for his convenience... ALL HAIL QATAR!

Detmer Game profile

Apr 6th 2011, 14:30:07

Originally posted by Dragonlance:
serious answer:

I was about to drop a HILARIOUs joke about the most important point in the world being the opposite side from martian blah blah blah..

then i realised the antipodean point from toronto.. is like the south pole....

So i'll just go with TAN being the most important bloke in the world and thus everything is named for his convenience... ALL HAIL QATAR!

ALL HAIL KATR!!!

joe2 Game profile

Apr 6th 2011, 14:33:23

I has to post....

ponderer Game profile

Apr 6th 2011, 23:09:50

Because geography, times zones, and the world as we know it were defined in 1884 by a bunch of European Imperialists at the request of US president Chester A. Arthur, who decided that Greenwich, England was the hub of the planet. Asia was east of the Imperialists.

OH, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God’s great Judgment Seat;
But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
When two strong men stand face to face, tho’ they come from the ends of the earth!

m0m0rific

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 6th 2011, 23:59:18

actually it probably does originate closer to the eastern/western halves of the roman empire.... and the division in the christian church between the orthodox & catholic...
Finally did the signature thing.

anubis0079 Game profile

Apr 7th 2011, 1:59:06

I believe it actually predates Roman times. Monoan and Cretian settlements gave rise to the Greek Society which is Probably the first true examples or "western" culture. So Greco-Roman era society is the first Western Societies.

As for who decided where East and West was i will say it is a toss up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

SoLer for Life
"All Hail The Maki!"
Have a heart.....they are really fresh.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Apr 7th 2011, 19:59:10

KATR

Well the chinese considered (probably still consider) themselves to be "central" and everything else east/west because of them.

I think the initial concept of "west" and "east" in terms of european thought came with the schism of the roman empire. The boundary is somewhat subjective though. I don't think the Greeks themselves really thought of the world in terms of "west" and "east" (nor many of the predecessor civilizations nearby).

The greeks were a heavy influence on the romans and hence an inspiration for "western" culture but the Romans considered the greeks as part of "the east" for a time.

Like I said, on a rotating sphere it's kind of hard:P If the earth rotated in the other direction then we would be arguing north south. Actually we would have bigger problems in that case:P

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Z Game profile

Apr 19th 2011, 18:58:46

Now thats just plain funny 8)

Rufus Game profile

Apr 19th 2011, 20:16:43

I believe that China is the middle kingdom in more a Tolkien way; above there are the gods, below the other mortals.

The greeks didn't really care much of east or west. They weren't much an empire, in fact a "marathon" runner could cross the country in a matter of a few days without sweating much. Such problems appeared with Roman empire, and the distances did indeed matter.

The east/west arbitrary but generally accepted division I believe originated during the renaissance. Anything east of Europe (that meaning the balkans) was east, anything west of british islands was west. The precise 0 longitude came much later (and the french lost)

Originally posted by martian:
If the earth rotated in the other direction then we would be arguing north south. Actually we would have bigger problems in that case:P
If you mean if the earth rotated like Uranus does (virtually in ecliptic plane) then there were noone on earth worring about east/west/north/south and it would have been such a waste of good 4 weekly bonus points for posting on earth empire forums...
I am John Galt.