Verified:

Devo Game profile

Dec 27th 2023, 19:00:59

Probably going to be super unpopular with this one because of the many robust bots that exist. But I believe in another post Qz suggested that he would be "fixing" the game official IRC server. I'm curious if it would be a good time to consider moving to discord which is a much more robust platform with a great API.

Hate away but figured I would suggest considering it as a community.

(I say this but I still have my IRC scripts and logs saved in a file from when I played decades ago and I'm unwilling to delete them lol)

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 28th 2023, 17:00:41

The IRC is on the list to come back but no ETA yet. There is an EarthEmpires Discord already (first post on Announcements). I recall someone mentioning that attempting to move newsbots there is problematic.

https://discord.gg/n9Xe7hR

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Dec 29th 2023, 20:44:22

Discord doesn't allow spammed out messages that our bots would do.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 31st 2023, 4:39:32

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Devo Game profile

Jan 5th 2024, 15:48:58

Thank you!

@LittleItaly I think bots have permission in discord to exceed the normal post speed limitations but I've also never built that sort of discord bot so I could be mistaken.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 5th 2024, 16:23:27

Bots are still throttled AFAIK. I haven't ever seen a bot that could post the news as fast as we get it at times.

There are ways you could try to batch multiple messages into one discord message but that would slow down the info and could cause you to fail at walling. Not that the current alert systems don't have a lag time either...

I think the game allows a country to be killed too fast, tho, but that is a different discussion.

The bottom line is Discord isn't great for the type of alerts/feeds we have for EE, not if time is critical, that is.

Discord is great for general chat and communication tho.