Verified:

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 22nd 2012, 17:29:28

And the BEST we can come up with to run for president are Barack Obama (already tried and failed) and Mitt Romney (thieving, lying pig.

COME ON! You've got to be kidding me! These two assclowns are the best we can do?

Holy Moly, I need to follow the American Dream and move to China.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Sep 22nd 2012, 17:59:22

i'll be watching Monty Python. have a safe trip.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Sep 22nd 2012, 19:56:53

NO, THEY ARE NOT THE BEST WE CAN DO.

THERE ARE MORE CHOICES, IF AMERICANS WILL ONLY LOOK FOR THEMSELVES INSTEAD OF LETTING THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA AND OUR TWO "MAJOR" PARTIES DECIDE EVERYHING.

LIVE FREE,

SAM!

Fooglmog Game profile

Sep 23rd 2012, 12:34:55

"Greatest nation" is such a meaningless term that everything said after it becomes meaningless too.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Twain Game profile

Sep 24th 2012, 1:21:41

Originally posted by Fooglmog:
"Greatest nation" is such a meaningless term that everything said after it becomes meaningless too.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

YOUR FACE IS A MEANINGLESS TERM THAT EVERYTHING SAID AFTER IT BECOMES MEANINGLESS TOO!

legion Game profile

Oct 2nd 2012, 14:46:54

America blows, I'm moving to Canada
Nobody puts baby in a corner

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 3rd 2012, 12:40:41

Your cluelessness is showing, fooglmog.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 3rd 2012, 13:10:58

Feel free to demonstrate why.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Oct 3rd 2012, 20:14:49

so, everything that has been spoken after the first use of the term "greatest nation" is meaningless? how long has it been since spoken words have had meaning?
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

trumper Game profile

Oct 4th 2012, 16:18:21

Originally posted by Cerberus:
And the BEST we can come up with to run for president are Barack Obama (already tried and failed) and Mitt Romney (thieving, lying pig.

COME ON! You've got to be kidding me! These two assclowns are the best we can do?

Holy Moly, I need to follow the American Dream and move to China.

If this was a serious question, I would point out how Honeyboo attracted more American viewers than either of the two party's conventions.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 6th 2012, 5:35:07

fooglmog, I don't need to point out the obvious.

Oh, yeah, forgot about that little skank.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 7th 2012, 1:23:53

Okay, well I stand behind the intent of my statement.

America is not the "greatest nation", because there is no way in which a nation's "greatness" can be quantified.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 8th 2012, 23:44:42

Originally posted by Fooglmog:
Okay, well I stand behind the intent of my statement.

America is not the "greatest nation", because there is no way in which a nation's "greatness" can be quantified.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Does it hurt much, Fooglmog? Really? Does it hurt much?

ColoOutlaw

Oct 9th 2012, 17:03:52

Edited By: ColoOutlaw on Oct 15th 2012, 9:53:04
See Original Post

legion Game profile

Oct 10th 2012, 16:18:24

America

legionx Game profile

Oct 10th 2012, 17:49:59

beef.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 10th 2012, 23:23:01

Ah, my mistake. According to Colo we can quantify greatness. It looks like Liechtenstein is the greatest nation.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Twain Game profile

Oct 11th 2012, 0:49:25

Fooglmog: Gonna have to say your point here is pretty weak.

The original statement left wiggle room that you're not acknowledging. Cerberus didn't try to quantify the U.S.'s greatness. He simply said "arguably."

There is a reasonable argument that can be made that would define the United States as the greatest nation in the world right now.

Just because YOU claim that he's saying it in a way that must be quantified doesn't mean it's so. Cerberus's statement was clearly a subjective one. By putting "arguably" in there, he eliminated even the possibility that someone could say he was claiming the United States was objectively better than any other country.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 11th 2012, 3:35:41

I'll cop to that Twain.

I've had some thoughts chasing themselves around inside my head for a while about national greatness, and how to demonstrate that it's an empty concept. Sometimes I think too much though, and need an outlet where I can throw some ideas out there and see what resonates... helps to separate out the chaff.

I think when I saw Cerberus' thread title I decided this would be a good place to try and do that. When I saw that his actual post wasn't really on that subject, I should have let go of that idea and moved on. Instead, I tried to bait (rather poorly, I might add) and swing the thread towards what I wanted to discuss.

It was dumb, and pretty juvenile. Sorry.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

ColoOutlaw

Oct 11th 2012, 6:40:39

Edited By: ColoOutlaw on Oct 15th 2012, 9:53:35
See Original Post

Twain Game profile

Oct 12th 2012, 22:30:57

Foogl: Juvenile might be a bit strong, but I do agree with your idea that to try to objectively prove a country is the greatest (which seems to be your idea, anyhow) is a bit ridiculous.

Having only lived in the United States, I feel pretty lucky that I've been born here. I've been put into a far better situation than most of the rest of the world is in. I think that definitely makes us a great country, and it's arguable that we're the greatest, but objectively claiming we're the greatest is tough to back up (especially with our economy currently still struggling, our education system lagging behind many other countries, and partisan gridlock being prevalent in our political system).

It's all about what the conversation really is.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 13th 2012, 2:10:16

That's sort of where I'm coming from Twain. Really, though, my thoughts center around another question:

Which is the second greatest country?

I think that this question is just as hard to answer subjectively as it is objectively. However if we accept the claim, even subjectively, that the United States is the greatest country in the world then there must also be an answer to who is second. It therefore follows that if we cannot identify the second greatest country, this demonstrates that no ranking of "greatness" can be established, and therefore that no country is "the greatest".

So, who's the second greatest?

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Twain Game profile

Oct 13th 2012, 3:42:31

Well, I think it's safe to say that any country that doesn't have its own pavilion at EPCOT in Walt Disney World has no chance.

So I'm gonna go with either Morocco or the U.K.

ColoOutlaw

Oct 13th 2012, 23:59:36

Edited By: ColoOutlaw on Oct 15th 2012, 9:53:30
See Original Post

Twain Game profile

Oct 14th 2012, 0:59:59

Colo: You're acting like an ass.

1) Nowhere in the definition of "greatness" does it say "economically better."
2) Nowhere in this conversation other than in what you've said has anyone made the argument that we're discussing economic greatness.

What if Cerberus meant greatest as far as cuisine? Or as far as their athletic accomplishments? Or as far as their number of hot blonde women per capita?

3) Your attitude towards anyone in this thread is ridiculous. Greatness is a subjective term. Perhaps in that dictionary you keep so close all the time you should look up what "subjective" means and maybe then you'll understand. You've taken one set of objective metrics, but even still put your own subjective bias into choosing which indicators are more important than others.

Is there an obvious logic to your definition? Sure. But ultimately, it's still one definition.

Furthermore, my last comment was a joke. So well done letting that either go way over your head or taking this way too seriously. Either way, your condescension and attitude is totally misplaced. For this reason, as I stated earlier, you're acting like an ass.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 14th 2012, 3:12:38

I can't speak for Twain, Outlaw, but I decided not to address your last post mainly because there was no concise way in which to address everything I think needs to be addressed and because there was another discussion which I was far more interested in having. Don't read ignorance into a decision to move in another direction.

If you like, though, I can do this dance with you on your terms.

I have no real notion of who you are or what you do in life -- but you write like an academic whose only interest is in assuring himself of the singular importance of his field of study and isn't willing to express an opinion without a cite-able source whose skirts he can run and hide behind if he's challenged to think outside the narrow spectrum of his studies.

I say that without meaning to belittle economics (an important field of study, of which I am not wholly ignorant) or imply citations and sources are without their worth. But there is a world beyond them which matters.

Context is a part of that world. You want to equate strong economic indicators directly and exclusively with greatness. By extension you want to to equate "greatest nation" with "nation with the strongest economic indicators". In some, very limited, contexts you may be right to do that. But the context of this thread is not one of them. This is demonstrated by making that substitution in the first sentence of this thread:

"This is America, arguably the [nation with the strongest economic indicators //] And the BEST we can come up with to run for president are Barack Obama (already tried and failed) and Mitt Romney (thieving, lying pig."

This is a clear non sequitur. The link between strong economic indicators and an expectation of strong political candidates is, at best, tenuous. Therefore it does not make sense to make exclusively, or even primarily, link national greatness with economics as you've attempted to do.

I also believe (though can't demonstrate) that if we conducted a similar substitution in most common uses of the term "greatest nation" we would find that such a substitution would be similarly inappropriate.

This may, or may not, make me guilty of attaching emotions to the word "greatness", but if that's the manner in which it's most commonly used then I think this strengthens my argument rather than diminishes it. However, even if we're speaking purely in terms of quantitatively, your argument for an exclusively economic basis or greatness falls apart.

You began your case for economics being a reasonable way to quantify national greatness with a list of economic indicators. The issue is, of course, that no single nation is at the top in all of them. This is why I, facetiously, suggested that Liechtenstein (which is at, or near, the top of many of them) is therefore the greatest nation in the world.

(As an aside, your suggestion that the results are "skewed" in their favor because of tax policy and population are complete malarkey. Tax policy is a huge part of economic prosperity in every country, and so claiming that a country's economic results are illegitimate because it has a tax policy which encourages economic growth is ridiculous. You might as well say that America's results are skewed because its tax policy is more favorable to growth than Botswana's. The exact some argument applies to population; saying its labour force participation rate is inadmissible because it has a low population is akin to saying America's GDP is inadmissible because it has a high population)

I think you understood my point, because immediately after your ludicrous arguments attempting to dismiss Liechtenstein (the reasons you gave were ridiculous, not the actual dismissal of Liechtenstein) you seemed to switch tacts and settle on a single reference point when you stated "this is why GDP is the better indicator".

The problem with this is, of course, that GDP on its own is a trailing indicator. It's a far better indicator of how strong a nation's economy was a year, decade, or half century ago than it is of the economic strength today. Because of this, it's easy to conceive of a nation which has by almost any other economic indicator been overtaken by other nations, and yet still has the largest GDP by a wide margin. Or, alternately, a nation whose huge population base allows it to outstrip other nations in GDP while any per capita indicator lags far behind. Or a hundred other circumstances. I'm not convinced that even inside your narrow definition such a country would qualify as the greatest.

You see, Outlaw, that your quantitative approach really doesn't work?

If you try to reduce greatness down to a single economic indicator, it's easy to concoct situations in which that one indicator in isolation is mis-leading. On the other hand, if you try to give a more complete picture by offering a number of indicators you find that no single nation leads in them all... and so even if the values of each indicator are quantitative, the manner in which you balance them against one another cannot help but be entirely subjective.

And of course, the trumping argument, neither the context of this thread nor the most common context in which the term "greatest nation" is used can be exclusively, directly or primarily linked to economic strength.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 14th 2012, 3:15:17

Whoops... I didn't see Twain's post before I posted mine.

I guess I was wrong, it was possible to respond to Outlaw concisely.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

ColoOutlaw

Oct 14th 2012, 20:52:24

Edited By: ColoOutlaw on Oct 15th 2012, 9:54:00
See Original Post

Twain Game profile

Oct 14th 2012, 22:20:47

Please explain it further to me. I'm so totally lost in all your discussion due to the fact that you have two bachelor's degrees and are obviously far beyond me.

But, let's pretend I'm actually also knowledgeable on a bunch of different topics. Let's also pretend that I'm at least as educated as you are.

1) I've never disagreed with you that the United States is the greatest country. I simply said "greatest" is a subjective statement and it's not proveable. You're the one holding on to a false notion that because you've come up with a definition that encompasses what "greatest" is that we should all accept it without question.

I could just as easily point out that we're 147th in economic growth, whereas China is 9th, and that China is 2nd in GDP-PPP to our 1st and is catching up with us, not to mention the fact that China has over a thousand more years of cultural and historical impact than we have, is the homeland of a major world religion (Confucianism) and is the cultural homeland of another (Buddhism, via Tibet). Or that China kicked our asses in PISA testing this past year.

Of course, as I stated before, I do still believe the United States is the greatest country, but clearly there's an argument to be made against us unless the only thing you value is a country's economy.

Furthermore, your soapbox lecture at the end of how we're the ones trying to rile up other people is beyond bullfluff. You come into this thread acting like you're some genius because you've got a couple bachelor's degrees and you've read some stuff on other topics. This is a forum for a niche game that is mostly centered around mathematics and mostly is played by people who have been playing it for at least 10 years. My guess is the average person here has at least a bachelor's degree and is at least moderately good at mathematics, so basically: intellectually, you're not special on these boards. You're normal. Get over yourself and perhaps we can have a real conversation.

Twain Game profile

Oct 14th 2012, 22:51:19

Oh, and even stating "right now" as part of the criteria, as you have, changes the situation from the very vague initial statement.

That obviously eliminates past cultural and historical impact, but again, that's you narrowing the definition from a very generic and very vague "greatest nation" to "greatest nation right now" which makes a VERY big difference, and definitely skews things towards the United States and away from countries like China, The U.K., Italy and others.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 15th 2012, 8:15:01

*looks around*
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

ColoOutlaw

Oct 15th 2012, 8:47:22

Yup you are right. Although that was never meant to be a statement suggesting that I am smarter than anyone. I was simply correcting Foogs wrong assumption about me. Sorry it came across that way but I can't be fully blamed. How can I help that some people take correcting someone as an act of superiority?

Edited By: ColoOutlaw on Oct 15th 2012, 10:06:07
See Original Post

legion Game profile

Oct 15th 2012, 17:33:37

This thread has been a brilliant circlejerk thus far, please continue.

Twain Game profile

Oct 15th 2012, 21:25:00

But I'm not sure you actually corrected anyone. You imposed a definition upon the conversation that wasn't previously there.

Now, having said that, I think it'd be tough for anyone to disagree with you that when you define greatness as "economic impact as of 2012" that the United States is the greatest nation.

And legion: Isn't that pretty much what most internet discussions are? It's not like anything productive is going to come out of Foog, ColoOutlaw and myself arguing. It's still fun. :P

ColoOutlaw

Oct 16th 2012, 1:22:49

Wow you are something else twain. Foog said that I was focusing on my singular area of academics, I told him I actually have several areas of academics and that I was drawing from all of them. That is in fact a correction Einstein but I can tell why it's so hard for you to figure that out. I mean it gets confusing when all the ideas are time stamped in a chronological order doesn't it?? You felt so inferior that you felt like that was me stating I was smarter then everyone else when I corrected him. So you blasted into your stupid rant about how I am some sort of self proclaimed genius which I never did. Is your reading level seriously this low that you cannot ever tell what people are talking about? You don't understand the significance of addressing something to someone, you can't understand what sections of a post are designed to answer you or someone else and every single post goes right over your little head. It's unbelievable. That's why there is no point in even answering my post, I am not going to read it. Your tiny head can't seem to comprehend anything so I am out... Christ I even fluffing concede that greatness is subjective and I try to explain why foogs assumption ABOUT ME is wrong and you are still a big enough D-bag that you have to carry on with something that all parties already conceded to. I seriously don't know what to award you with, biggest D-bag, dumbest person alive or biggest dumb D-bag on this earth. Hell, you can have all three awards.

Edited By: ColoOutlaw on Oct 16th 2012, 3:14:15
See Original Post

ColoOutlaw

Oct 16th 2012, 1:24:17

Heck I might not even be a genius anymore after reading your posts. It lacks so much substance that my IQ dropped 5 points every time you opened your mouth. Good thing I am such a super smart genius that I have plenty of IQ to spare. Loosing 140 points is chump change.

By the way, even my dog understands chronological order of commands. I tell him to stay and he stays, then I tell him to sit and he sits. But with you it's like order doesn't even exist in your head. Ha I have 5 dollars on my dog that he can beat you in a problem solving competition.

Edited By: ColoOutlaw on Oct 16th 2012, 3:19:42
See Original Post

Twain Game profile

Oct 16th 2012, 22:52:54

Not that it's hard to see your original posts, of course, but it seems like you don't care for your previous posts, considering you've all but deleted them.

It's not really worth my time, but ultimately between the fact that you've done this and the fact that you pretty much can only resort to ad hominem attacks on me, you've clearly shown that you have nothing of value to say when you're challenged on the bullfluff you spew.

archaic Game profile

Oct 31st 2012, 1:26:59

Originally posted by ColoOutlaw:

You were wise to edit all of those threads, this was probably the most rational statement you made in the entire argument. Its funny that Foog never tries to pwn people intellectually, he just does. He is rather unique among this entire community that way. He has an almost singular quality of ethics and insight among earthers.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

braden Game profile

Oct 31st 2012, 11:16:28

there is no argument- the single greatest country on the planet.

WHO-RAH

(or however you'd spell the marines little grunt thingy.. you know what i'm talking about, come on.. watch a little ncis from time to time)

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 5th 2012, 15:34:06

Originally posted by braden:
watch a little ncis from time to time)

This is the problem, braden, more people watching fictional shows on TV.